Everything posted by Chisoxfn
-
Anderson ranked as #14 prospect in AFL
I would presume Micah Johnson.
-
i am drunk
QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 06:50 PM) No s*** Sherlock! I'm posting in a drinks thread for the first time ever and no one is here to converse with me. This train ride is boring. It really was a shame no one was here to console you. Instead you just started sending out absurd tweets from the FutureSox account. We had to claim that the site was "hacked".
-
2014-2015 NCAA football thread
QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 12:19 PM) Its almost as if Frost turned the job down Everything I heard was that he was never offered the job. I also don't believe any scenario where Frost would have turned the gig down.
-
Sox have contacted Max Scherzer
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 11:10 AM) Ace money IS now $30 million. Look at the Kershaw deal. No one else is in the same league as Kershaw though. Max certainly isn't. Neither is Lester.
-
2014-2015 NCAA football thread
QUOTE (zenryan @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 10:03 AM) You'd think that Nebraska just hired the most marquee name out there if you read the tweets by national college football reporters. Nationally Riley was always pretty well thought of. It isn't like OSU is a place easy to recruit. Any local kids with high upside are going to Oregon.
-
Ferguson Riots
QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 01:14 PM) hey look, another unarmed black person was killed by a white officer and no charges will be filed. What were the odds of that happening in the same millennium. http://www.cnn.com/ "I can't breath!" choke hold case. But this person was suspected of selling cigarettes illegally. So, what is the proper response? Quietly protesting? That will get stuff done. I think what is unfortunate is this gives more ammunition to those protesting over Ferguson when the two cases are completely different, imo. In terms of Ferguson, I don't necessarily think the wrong decision was reached (or at least I think most everyone can agree it wasn't cut and dry at a minimum), however, in terms of the NY case with the video, etc, I'm pretty much speechless at how no charges will be brought. Not threatened and total excessive use of force.
-
2014-2015 NCAA football thread
That is a strange one.
-
2014-2015 NCAA football thread
QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 08:57 AM) Pretty uninspiring hire for a school like Florida. Did they even talk to any other head coaches? He may do well, but I expected more than throwing bags of money at the #1 guy on everyone's "hot Mid-Major Coaches" list. He's only 22-16 as a head coach, at least Urban Meyer was 39-8 when they hired him. I don't believe they ever considered anyone else.
-
2014-2015 NBA thread
QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 09:07 AM) I feel like Asik actually played a lot that year. He did, but not early in the season.
-
2014-2015 NCAA football thread
I think Nebraska hires Utah's head coach or Bielma.
-
2014-2015 NCAA football thread
QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 06:17 PM) HEY I TAKE OFFENSE TO THAT WE BEAT A DAMN GOOD IOWA TEAM Hahah...is there a 3rd FCS team that plays in Iowa? Cause the two I know of aren't good.
-
NCAA basketball 2014-15 thread
QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 07:14 PM) Iowa finally breaks through with a win against a highly-ranked opponent on the road. There's hope now at least. After losing to Texas and Syracuse last week, it was starting to evaporate a little. In the end, as usual, they're probably one more athlete (shooting guard/small forward) away from being a very good team. You can certainly understand why Bo Ryan didn't want to let Uthoff go. And what was a 10-12 man rotation last year has been whittled down to just 6-7 players in 2014. We'll see how well they can hold up in the second half of the B10 season. To make that next step, Oglesby/Jok/Dickerson are going to have to become more dangerous...particularly one of the last two guys. Uthoff had a bad shooting night but he seems to be more confident and willing to keep shooting, which was something he wouldn't do last year. He'd disappear for long stretches and he is far too talented to do that. This could be a big win for the program. Have some huge in state games coming up against ISU and Northern Iowa.
-
NCAA basketball 2014-15 thread
QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 05:55 PM) Iowa just tossing bricks Works for me. Big win and the type of game they typically have lost. 2-0 at Chapel Hill!!!
-
Hamburgers
QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 06:53 PM) Just ate two McDonalds cheeseburgers. And some fries haven't had mCD in years. Tastes pretty good. Pretty sure that's the La Fin Du Mond talking. Wait an hour and it won't feel as good. At least that is my reaction to anything but a mcmuffin at McDonalds.
-
Zack Greinke?
QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 08:39 PM) Who cares? He isn't a one year rental, we would have him till he's 34, that's as good as it's going to get. I'd listen if Dodgers are willing to throw in some money. Aren't Dodgers supposedly dealing him because he has an opt out and thus would be kind of a rental? Or did I misread? Either way, I don't believe for one second the Dodgers are going to trade Greinke. Not unless they plan on signing Lester or making a couple other major moves. By the way, I must be the only one but if we could trade Anderson for Shark straight up and get him to sign for a slightly below market 4 year deal with a 5th year option, I'd be all over it. I'd probably even be willing to go 5 years. I think a rotation with Shark as our #3 with Rodon developing would be a huge step in the right direction and I still believe we can move Danks for an overpriced bat of some sort. PS: I'd try to trade others then Anderson cause he clearly can hit the ball but at the end of the day, I'd make the trade as long as Shark was around long term.
-
Sox sign Melky Cabrera
QUOTE (Vance Law @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 09:30 PM) De Aza is a legitimate starting left fielder. Viciedo got pushed into action by Garcia's injury. You sound like you're upset by Viciedo getting a contract, but you can't actually think they are going to have Viciedo as the starting left-fielder do you? Agreed...I can't compare Dayan and De Aza. De Aza is a solid player and a legitimate starter. Dayan isn't.
-
Sox sign Melky Cabrera
QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 08:52 PM) actually no, it's not. It's left handed power that is at a premium. From that perspective, LaRoche is worth more than perhaps he got. Viciedo is a dime a dozen .5 WAR player that could turn into a 2 WAR player and is getting paid like a 1 WAR player. The sort of guy that you have a hard time trading on OOTP 15. At best, someone will give PTBNL or will claim him on waivers in May. The Sox made the right bet IMO, but if he's the starting LF in April something went wrong. A platoon or a 5th OF role (assuming they have the IF versatility) would be OK, but not ideal either. Keeping Viciedo was a lousy idea if we intend to contend. If we intend to be another year away, then keeping Dayan and hoping he breaks out, isn't an awful. It is only awful if you think he can be a starter on a contending team (without significant upgrades in other areas). My presumption is they figure they can get him enough at bats in a 4th outfielder / spell Laroche against lefties. My issue is Viciedo doesn't exactly have a track record of raking lefties.
-
2014-2015 NBA thread
QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 07:31 PM) @MarkSchanowski: How about Thibs revealing Pau Gasol addressed the team following gut-wrenching loss to Dallas. That's what leadership is all about. It cannot be understated what he has added He had some great quotes after the game too. Big game with Noah / Rose getting finishing back to backs.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 04:17 PM) You have to at least pretend to try and run it. More than 7 times at least The idea of not running it and having a QB like Cutler drop back 40-50 times is just a recipe for disaster. In fact, that is a recipe for disaster for pretty much any QB in the league with extremely rare exception (i.e., certain all time greats and even they would much prefer and be better with a rushing attack).
-
2014-2015 NBA thread
QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 05:05 PM) This is year 5 of the Thibs era and I/we still have never seen a "healthy" Bulls team in the regular season or otherwise. I do agree that Gasol, who hasn't played this well since 2010, and the amazing rise of Jimmy Butler has made me just about forget the Bulls failed for the 18th time to land that superstar. But Rose is just too unreliable, not to mention a complete f***in' idiot, to call this team "easily" the best team in the east. Remember that Deng and Boozer were injury prone prior to Thibbs and had very healthy careers with the Bulls during the Thibs era.
-
2014-2015 NCAA football thread
QUOTE (zenryan @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 05:00 PM) Alabama vs FSU and Oregon vs TCU might be the most compelling matchups possible for fans not of any of the contending teams. Baylor plays KState and TCU plays Iowa State. I wonder how much the final season game TCU plays will hurt them (this of course is making the assumption that both of those teams win). You also have to look at someone like OSU and whether they could leapfrog TCU with a big win.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
For pete sake, Kromer was talking about how the reason we didn't run was because we wanted to start the game off passing and then go into the rushing attack, but then by that point we were down. The media then talked about how they were winning early and even to start the 2nd half it was only a 10 point game, so it wasn't soon enough to stop and Kromer responded with "good point". I'm sorry but these guys are just laughably bad. I don't know if Kromer is just stuck in a bad spot or what but we run the most vanilla and boring offense in the league and it is easily the most predictable. We clearly can't adjust and every other unit has adjusted to us with relative ease. It is pathetic and bush league.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 01:43 PM) Just curious, it's been mentioned that Cutler audibled out of runs some times, do we know how often that happened? In other weeks, coaches got specific and said 2 or 3. No idea how many this week but that number isn't the type that is truly impactful in our run / pass ratio. I also believe he has audibled into running plays as well (so not sure what the net number lost is due to audibles). It is just an excuse and a pathetic one coming from three different people directly involved in our playcalling (Trestman / Kromer / Cutler). It is embarrassing how dysfunctional this unit is. The only saving grace is with every week, I get the feel that we have high school coaches coaching us vs. real top quality NFL coaches, the better I get about this rebuild being a little easier if we can get the right guy in here. Of course, some of that has to do with whatever the next regime thinks of Cutler. My big thing is that we shouldn't cater to Jay but if people want to keep him around the next 2 years, I can live with it, but we can't just put all of our resources into the offense anymore and can't design a team that is going to win by being an offensive juggernaut. We are going to have to have a very sound team all around with a strong defense and a smart offense / special teams unit.
-
2014-2015 NFL Football thread
QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 10:00 AM) How likely is it that we could replace Mel Tucker with Rex Ryan, and would it make a damn bit of difference? I think it makes a significant impact. Rex Ryan has his unit ranked 7th in yards. That said, it is 25th in PPG, a stat that does matter. Over the past three years, it has never ranked below 11th in yards per game and this year he is doing it with a bunch of nobodies in the secondary. Rex Ryan has forgotten more things about football then Tucker and knows how to make adjustments. All that said, the only way Ryan comes here is with another coach. Why in any sake would any reputable coach who has major upside take our defensive position if Trestman sticks around? The only chance is someone who is out of the league and has an itch (maybe a Wade Phillips...and that would be a major coup) or you are going to hire some defensive backs coach or dline coach to take the job. Maybe you get lucky and they have a bright future but any real top DC candidate isn't going to come here over numerous other available jobs, imo. And yes, our roster has issues, but our dline is not bad and our corners are not bad. Our safety's are below average and our LB's are awful but we should not rank as poorly as we do and in the NFL, coaching matters so so so much. And the Jets have an even worse offense then the Bears so to have given up so few yardage despite Geno's giveaways is impressive. I would presume a lot of those giveaways are one of the reasons they rank pretty poorly in PPG. That said, losing can also minimize your YPG stat as a team that is up big probably isn't going down field, etc, and is more focused on running out the clock. If the Bears could hire Harbaugh and bring in a D coord like Ryan that would be a major coup. I don't think any young whippersnapper coach is going to hire Ryan as a DC. It will only be a team with a HC who has a lot of comfort / job security and Harbaugh would be that type of guy, imo. I'd also be okay if you brought in a sexy college hire and paired him with Rex Ryan (say a Kevin Sumlin).
-
2014-2015 NBA thread
QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 2, 2014 -> 10:01 AM) http://grantland.com/the-triangle/searchin...erence-problem/ I'd hate this (see bulls mention). I can't stand west coast games. 9:30pm games are the worst. I feel bad for every CT team in the west. Since the west is better then the east, I wouldn't like it, but in general, I'd like having more late time games, but thats cause I am selfish and live on the west, haha.