Everything posted by Chisoxfn
-
Jermaine Dye to officially retire.
Thanks for the memories Jermaine. Class act in my mind and those few years with the Sox were fantastic!!!
-
Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread
QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 31, 2011 -> 11:16 AM) He been a head coach for two damn years. Way to early to proclaim he will fail. But on the flip side, way too early to say he is the next best thing. Two years of head coaching experience at a little school is all the reason I need to think he'll fail in a major conference. Recruiting is different in a power conference as is coaching. He'll get eaten alive and be yet another failure in the history of coaches that make one strong tourney run and parlay it into a head coaching job. I'm not saying years down the road he doesn't succeed somewhere, but at this piont in time, asking him to lead your power conference school is a mistake, unless you can't get a quality, more proven mid-major coach at a minimum.
-
Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread
QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 31, 2011 -> 11:12 AM) I wouldn't go that far. He's most likely overrated at this point but the guy can clearly coach and his players seem to love him. Obviously, the most important thing for a mid major coach is to find out if he can recruit at a higher level and I don't think Shaka is going to have a hard time doing that. Its going to be a lot harder. He's going to be going against athletic, top notch basketball teams all the time and without having a strong recruiting pipeline, etc, he's going to have a hell of a time at Mizzu, imo. It happens a lot with these mid-major guys. I'm not saying Shacka isn't necessarily a good coach, but at this point, with his experience, I think he's going to end up a failure at a major program. A few years down the road that might change. I also wouldn't blame him if he did leave though, this is his one shot to be the next hot commodity and to make good money out of it and if he fails he'll still end up with a mid-major job somewhere, probably one that is still a step-up from VCU.
-
Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread
QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 31, 2011 -> 11:11 AM) I wouldn't say he is going to be a colossal failure, but nor do I think he is gonna be a Coach K. Bottom line is that his team got really hot at the right time. He is an expert at motivating and seems to be a solid Xs and Os coach. He probably won't have a stadium named after him, but he should be a perennial NCAA coach who gets to many Sweet 16s. Look, I don't buy into the hype of one tourney run, especially when his team has just gotten incredibly hot and played out of there ass for a short run. THey also didn't play many good teams, until they finally beat Kansas. And no, Purdue wasn't great. I'm just saying, some people are going to think he's the next great thing, but more than likely, he'll fail miserably and not be able to recruit top talent in a major conference and end up fired a few years down the road and go back to being a mid-major guy. Brad Stevens on the other hand, I buy into. That is a really well coached team and it takes more than just luck to make back to back final 4's. X's and O's that squad is just on par. Long story short, Stevens is legit, Shacka is not.
-
Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread
QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 08:10 PM) Ha. Hey at least I realized early on this year that the team was going to be a disappointment. If we land Shaka Smart I'm happy Painter stayed. That guy is going to be a collosal failure.
-
Pre-Internet Habits
QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 08:22 AM) I remember watching CNN's bottom line go through endless NCAAB scores to get to the NHL scores, and it always going to commercial right before NHL, I'd have to wait 30 minutes to find out if the Hawks won. There was no other option... that was like 1996! What did you used to do before the Internet became widely available that has completely changed for you since then? For me it was headline news. They seemed to be the first to do that.
-
Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread
Painter is staying at Purdue.
-
Technology catch-all thread
Directtv's responsiveness has gotten signficantly better. It used to be horrilbe but it is significantly faster than before. In general, I really like my Direct DVR. Been the best DVR I've had. Comcast is horrific though.
-
From the old guys . . .
I think this thread has went its course.
-
Mark Buehrle
He looked awful good yesterday.
-
Peavy had rotator cuff tendinitis
Cut the s*** talking gents.
-
Peavy had rotator cuff tendinitis
I'm more optimistic today than I was a month ago about Peavy. Some of you are seriously over-reacting to some tendinitis that was highly expected. Guy is still ahead of schedule and we know that he's got velocity and stuff back (based upon some spring outings). By June 15th he'll be rolling, and he'll be on the mound in Chicago no later than May 15th.
-
2011 College Baseball Thread
Fullerton took down #6 ASU last night!
-
Things that need to come back...
QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 12:56 PM) The amount of street hockey, baseball, kickback, hotdog in gastank we played was insane. I can't imagine not being outside from about 10am until 9pm everyday in the summer between the ages of like 5 and 15. Same with me. We did nothing but play outside. Video games only got played when it was pretty late out and the parents had us come inside.
-
Job Hunt Thread
QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 12:41 PM) The interview seemed to go really well. The store manager seemed to really like me, while the GM of the franchise itself was sort of on the fence. The problem I'm faced with at this point is that he (the store manager) made it seem like this was a career choice and not a stepping stone to another job. Most of it is commission based, as you'd expect, but he said the worst anybody in the store made was $45k, and the top person made $80k. My problem isn't with that, but is instead that it is expected that this would be a career choice and I don't really want to live here 5 months from now, let alone 5 years. Perhaps it was idealistic of me to assume that this would be a stepping stone kind of job. I think I would like the job, but I don't know that my heart would be in it knowing that I'd want to leave in 5 months anyways. Just do it. They might get mad if you don't stay for your career, but it is a start for you and you'll be able to get some sales experience and practice and can apply that wherever you go in your future.
-
Catch All Anything Thread
Congratulations Farmteam!!
-
System Breakdown: Outfielders
Good stuff Dan. I'm very interested to see what Mitchell and Trayce do. I'd bet more on Trayce than I would Mitchell but both have a ton of upside, the only question is whether Mitchell still has that athletism post injury.
-
Job Hunt Thread
QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 16, 2011 -> 01:36 AM) 100% agreed. Organizations give you a network of alumni that can help you, while providing resources to help build yourself and your resume. Most internships that I have seen are not just for extra work to be done for the company, but are an investment in you by the company. Almost every friend I have that has obtained an internship has walked away from it with at least a pitch to work for the company, if not a hard offer. The big 4 accounting firms basically guarantee a full time position to it's interns as long as they don't mess up terribly (they even hold get togethers at the end of the internship with all the interns present to tell them of their offers at some locations). Also, for future interviews, organizations and internships give great material to draw from. When you are able to show in your answers that you have experience within areas of leadership, communication, teamwork, time management, etc while actually being able to pull specific real life examples. It also can give confidence to an interviewer that someone had faith in you earlier to elect you into a position or to assign you a project. I agree 100%. I did Beta Alpha Psi and Accounting Society and it set me up with a huge network. I know people in all the big 4 firms, plus mid-tier firms and as those people go into private industry I still know them and than have connections within a lot of finance/accounting departments. In addition, as you work, your network continues to grow as you work with lots of different people who also go on to do their seperate things. In the professional world, you can only go as far as your network. Yes, you need to have smarts, but you also need to know people because that relationship can open to the door to new avenues and opportunities which wouldn't have been available to you without the network (or at least much more difficult to get in).
-
Grad school
QUOTE (The Baconator @ Mar 15, 2011 -> 07:54 AM) I have looked at a number of programs in England (LSE is obviously one of the best school's in the world, acceptance into the MPA program is 8%). Exeter seems to have a good program as well. I was pretty shocked that Trinity and UCD didn't offer the program. I guess at this point my interest really is just to live in Ireland (though I would prefer to live in Dublin). In the statement that Limerick is like the Detroit of Ireland, how relative is that? As in, is it really as bad as Detroit or is it just relative to the other cities in Ireland? Compared to other cities in Ireland is my guess. It is a pretty small city in comparison to Dublin, Cork, and Galway. Cork is a nice city (I was only in one particular area) and Galway is a big college town (other stuff too) but I saw the most young Irish people there than anywhere else (outside of the night club spots in Dublin). All of those cities blow Limerick away. Limerick is just really small and there isn't much at all to do there.
-
Grad school
QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 11:56 PM) Just want to say that I was recently at the Univ of Limerick visiting a friend studying abroad there, and it's an okay campus, the school is only like 30-40 years old I believe. The city itself is pretty depressing, think the Detroit of Ireland. I will say that Cork is just a 1-2 hr bus ride away and is a really great place. Supposedly it is being cleaned up, but there is literally nothing to do there. We stayed there for the 1st week of a 2 week trip on business and than moved to a different town about 20 miles away and boy was it a lot nicer and more lively. Still, the people in Ireland are incredibly friendly.
-
Grad school
QUOTE (The Baconator @ Mar 14, 2011 -> 11:53 PM) I'm currently at that stage in my young career that I'm debating going back to school or continuing to find work (full disclosure- I work in politics, specifically campaigns and political research so I have some downtime between gigs). I've been looking at going back to school to get my masters in public administration (MPA). I have a number of good/great domestic schools that I've been interested in but I've looked abroad as another option. My thought is that I will never get the chance to work abroad for any period of time (I know many fields end up having offices worldwide that may require international work) working in American politics so I might as well get a taste of the world in grad school before I spend decades toiling away at work in the States. Specifically, I'm looking at Ireland- unfortunately, I've only found the University of Limerick to offer an MPA, limiting my choices. As an employer, would you think less of a degree from an international school (especially given that, according to world rankings, Limerick is far below schools I could attend domestically?) My reasoning is that I'm looking for a greater exposure to world politics and international thought (and I just really want to live in Ireland for a bit). If you were an employer related to the field of American politics, how would an MPA from an international school compare to an MPA from a comparable school in the States in terms of hiring? I actually spent a week staying in Limerick, which is in the County of Clare, about 6 months ago. Limerick isn't a super poopulated city so I can give you some comments on what Limerick is like in general. The bigger collegiate city is Galway, which is out on the bay, but the people are incredibly friendly and the countryside (outside of the city) is very very cool. From what I was told, Limerick used to be a pretty bad area but they've been cleaning it up. I can't comment on your career because I honestly know nothing about getting ahead in politics. I would say, do any of the US based schools with really good programs have semester long or one year long programs that you can do abroad. That way you get your abroad fix in, but at the same time, get to go to a really reputable school?
-
Soxtalk Yahoo & ESPN NCAA Tournament Bracket Leagues
I'll be signing up in the next day or two.
-
Prediction Thread
My final 4 is: OSU, Kansas, Pitt, and San Diego State. I have OSU playing Kansas in the finals. This might change and no, I don't fill out a dozen bracket. I do one bracket each year.
-
2011 College Baseball Thread
Fullerton swept by LSU.
-
West Region
I have San Diego State taking down Duke in the elite 8.