Everything posted by chitownsportsfan
-
Which young Sox hitter/s are you most excited about?
QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 09:19 AM) Delmonico's hitting profile is completely different than Davidson's. Nicky has a K rate of 17% this year, while Matt's best season in Charlotte was last year at 26.4%. And this is despite similar power (in game) & BB rates. Delmonico is a much better hitter IMO and has a better chance of sticking in the majors assuming he can find a spot defensively (perhaps LF). I liked what I saw from Delmonico in the spring that also influenced me a bit. Every time he came up it seemed he was either doubling or making a hard out, at least in the couple games I saw him. He's got a nice compact swing so while 30 HR potential is probably a stretch I can see him hitting for a much higher average than Davidson as well. Maybe something like a 280/340/480 line if he pans out. That would be a much better LF than Melky.
-
Tommy Kahnle
QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 02:22 PM) I mean this is where I say it doesn't do the Sox any good to "bundle." We are not selling out of a junkyard on American Pickers. The only scenario wherein it makes sense for us to make this sort of deal is for quality, IMO. Quality = Robles. Basically, I am willing to overpay to meet your need in order to get back THE player I absolutely believe can fill a great need of my own. Otherwise, I'll trade you Kahnle for Soto and 2 other pieces, or Robertson for Kieboom and 2 other pieces. At least that is how I would envision it. Say, hypothetically, a team is offering a B prospect for Robertson and another team is offering a B- prospect for Kahnle. If you can convince the first team to take them both and get an A- prospect back you do it every time. Especially if that guy is a position player.
-
AND THATS A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 01:56 PM) Also worth nothing from the game is that the Sox SP went six innings for the first time since June 3. This seems like the most least surprising thing ever but still, jeeze.
-
AND THATS A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!
QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 14, 2017 -> 11:18 AM) He definitely looks like he can be a dangerous platoon bench bat (.936 OPS against lefties) that can fill in at 3B, 1B, & DH. Right now I don't expect much more than that, but he's earned a a full-time look until something better presents itself. It's going to be interesting to see how things shake out after the trade deadline. I'd really like to see Davidson, Delmonico, & Willy Garcia all get regular playing time. A rotation between 3B, LF, & DH should allow for that while ensuring alll these guys get some time in the field. Yep
-
Which young Sox hitter/s are you most excited about?
I went with Delmonico I think he has 30 HR potential in that bat. Could be an interesting piece.
-
Orioles vs White Sox 7:10 Pm
QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 08:33 PM) He hasn't started regressing yet . He's been fairly consistent. Every time his BA gets around .325 he bumps it right back up into the .330's and another hit today might make it to .340 . Avi Garcia hitting .340 on 6/13/17 has to be one of the strangest things I've seen in 20+ years of baseball.
-
White Sox pick 3B Jake Burger at #11
QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 07:51 PM) Both Hostetler and KW comp him to Gary Gaetti. If he is a match, it was a real good pick. He'll need to stick at 3rd to have that sort of impact because other than early on his career Gary was mediocre with the bat. I don't see the comp personally. I see some Kevin Youkilus with more power less average. Defense will always be a concern.
-
Day Two Draft Discussion
QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 04:49 PM) I really havent seen them do it though. I guess TA has gotten better and Collins seems to have gotten better but not sure I have a ton of faith in the Sox at developing guys defensively. Flowers and TA are pretty good success stories.
-
Day Two Draft Discussion
QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 04:27 PM) Yeah, it does sort of seem like we're putting together beer league softball team, but hey, if they can hit... I think the Sox have realized that you can teach defense more than you can teach command of the strike zone.
-
Painful and Difficult situation
It's pretty deplorable what he did and it his age (IMO) he should have been tried as an adult. You know what you're doing sexually at 15 and you certainly know that a 6 year old is off limits. That said, it shouldn't preclude him from getting a job in baseball. But the PR will be so bad for any team that drafts him I don't think he's worth anything but a late round player with a "we're confident he's paid his debt to society" sort of thing. But can you imagine if he re-offends? That team would be a PR nightmare.
-
Day Two Draft Discussion
QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 01:08 PM) Poor man's Kendall as in a grade down in every other tool, and one grade up in the hitting department. But this is the type of player I have more confidence that the Sox could develop versus Kendall, no complaint here for a 3rd round pick. well said. I agree.
-
Day Two Draft Discussion
QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 01:02 PM) Between Collins, Call, Fisher, Burger, Sheet and now Gonzalez, we have now taken a bunch of polished college bats with good plate discipline. Now we just need a couple of these bats to pan out. Gonzo looks like a poor man's Kendall to me tool's wise. Not bad in the 3rd round and that plate discipline is pretty impressive. Don't think he's got much power in that bat though.
-
SSS Theater: Avi Garcia
It's really remarkable HOW he's become a good hitter. He's actually swinging at MORE pitches this year, both outside the zone and inside the zone, than ever. What has changed is that he's now pulling the ball 47% of the time and over half his ball in play are either fly balls or line drives. 21% of his FB have left the park. The quality of contact is real. The next step for him will be to try and improve his command of the zone, especially early in the count. Zips thinks he's a 105 wRC+ bat the rest of the way. I'd take the over on that personally. I bet he goes about 280/330/480 from this point out, which is about a 115-120 wRC+ Notably, he's also sustained his defensive improvement from last year, now he's only below average in RF, not a tire fire. That's big.
-
White Sox pick 3B Jake Burger at #11
I hope he can command the strike zone in MLB because he looks like a Todd Frazier type without the elite glove to stick at 3B. His swing just looks awful to me from a fundamentals standpoint. He lunges and the way his lead arm straightens on his cocking mechanism certainly means he's going to struggle on inside fastballs. That said, his production speaks for itself. We'll see if he can make the adjustments with his body and swing that will be needed to succeed at the MLB level.
-
Day Two Draft Discussion
I like this pick a lot. Sox are certainly targeting guys that can command the strike zone.
-
DRAFT TRACKER 2017, and Day One Discussion
Seems like the Sox drafted partially for need, which I don't mind given that BPA seemed a crapshoot at the spot they were in. If they can get under slot a bit on the first two college sluggers and use it for a higher upside guy today that's great. If not I'm still OK with the picks, it really didn't seem like there was a "no doubt" choice available. Seems like a bit of a week draft from what I can tell. As for the "bad body" stuff it's either something he's going to clean up as soon as he becomes a pro or it will be something he struggles with his whole career IMO. It's fine playing at 20 lbs over weight as a 21 year old amateur but as a pro, one who needs to save the wear and tear on his body at 3B, he needs to drop the pudge ASAP. Hopefully he can do it.
-
DRAFT TRACKER 2017, and Day One Discussion
QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 07:49 PM) This draft sucks It certainly seems rather devoid of top end talent compared to most years.
-
DRAFT TRACKER 2017, and Day One Discussion
so once again I ask, is the stream working for anybody?
-
DRAFT TRACKER 2017, and Day One Discussion
I think any team not taking the AA pitcher from Cali is going to regret it.
-
DRAFT TRACKER 2017, and Day One Discussion
Player on MLB.com not working for anybody else? Just shows a static splash screen for me.
-
DRAFT TRACKER 2017, and Day One Discussion
I don't want a pitcher.
-
DRAFT TRACKER 2017, and Day One Discussion
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 05:22 PM) When do picks actually start getting made? 7pm eastern.
-
DRAFT TRACKER 2017, and Day One Discussion
QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 04:58 PM) Kendall stock plummeting? https://mobile.twitter.com/FPiliereD1/statu...369957898977280 Just looking at that K% in college is scary and the rather mediocre production. If he can't ever hit above 230 in MLB he's a 1 WAR player no matter how good his other tools, imo of course. Hardly an expert but I did do some research on him and obviously have read what our guys here think. Seems like a late round 1st flyer, not a top half of the 1st guy.
-
June 11th Game Thread: White Sox at Cleveland Indians
How many games are the Sox going to lose outhitting their opponents this year, 40?
-
June 11th Game Thread: White Sox at Cleveland Indians
Q has to have one of the worst strand rates in mlb this year.