Everything posted by Balta1701
-
9/7 Boston at White Sox 1:05 on CSN
Thornton for the 9th? Farmer says Jenks was warming, wonder waht the deal is here.
-
9/7 Boston at White Sox 1:05 on CSN
Speaking of which, that's 16 for Q.
-
9/7 Boston at White Sox 1:05 on CSN
QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Sep 7, 2009 -> 01:22 PM) I'd hate to have the outlook you do. There is no point in even watching sports if you go in with that mindset. You know, it's interesting, even if I think we've fallen too far out to make a serious run at the playoffs, it's still fun to watch your team win a game, or to see hope for the future from guys stepping up or making solid plays. Or Jake Peavy, whatever.
-
9/7 Boston at White Sox 1:05 on CSN
Good inning for...Tony Pena???
-
9/7 Boston at White Sox 1:05 on CSN
Hudson and Nunez are both warming up.
-
Contreras
QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Sep 7, 2009 -> 12:56 PM) we signed him for 4 years? what happens after the 4 yrs are up, is he a FA? We signed him for 5 years after 2005...2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010. PK14 is a free agent at the end of the 2010 season.
-
Official 2009-2010 NFL Thread
QUOTE (rangercal @ Sep 7, 2009 -> 12:49 PM) Don't you think the Patriots front office deserves the benefit of the doubt here? They have been the king of the AFC east for almost a decade now. Even last season's injuries to almost half their starters still did not prevent them from going 11-5. They probably have someone to fill right in. Second round pick Ron Brace and 6th Round Pick Myron Pryor have reportedly performed well in training camp. They also free up cap space to sign Vince Wilfork at the same spot. They're also planning to play more 4-3 sets this year reportedly, which alters the type of lineman they need. That said, it's still an interesting move in a number of ways. Between Seau, Bruschi, Seymour, Vrabel, and Rodney Harrison, there's been major turnover on that defense. It's now a lot younger, but it's suddenly missing all of its veteran leadership except for the coach. So, there's clearly a challenge on that side of the ball for NE. I think there's also some interesting implications if there's a 2011 lockout but I don't know enough to say more.
-
Contreras
QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 7, 2009 -> 12:49 PM) Dayan Viciedo is the 1Bman of the future, not Konerko. We'll be really lucky if he's ready for the big leagues in 2011, and Konerko's only signed through 2010.
-
The What's Wrong with Rios Thread
Last year Rios was pretty rough in the first half and pretty darn good in the 2nd half. I wonder if changing teams and not playing every day might have kept him from finding a groove, mentally at least.
-
9/7 Boston at White Sox 1:05 on CSN
Nice to see Mark pitch out of trouble there.
-
Official 2009-2010 NCAA Football Thread
QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 7, 2009 -> 10:40 AM) Why would Detroit pick Bradford over Stafford for QB? Personally, I'd bet they would have.
-
The Republican Thread
QUOTE (kapkomet @ Sep 7, 2009 -> 11:41 AM) That's right, Balta, it's a conspiracy to doubt you libs. Wah. No conspiracy. Just pointing out that you guys defended those numbers and asked why the media wouldn't cover how good the economy was when Bush was running things. And I mean specifically you guys...there was at least a handful of those posts and threads here over the years. Now suddenly you've all decided you agree with me and those numbers are garbage. I think I can enjoy an I told you so or 50.
-
Official 2009-2010 NFL Thread
We're less than a week from their first game, and Eric Mangini still won't say whether his starting QB will be Brady Quinn or Derek Anderson. He says he's keeping it under wraps so that it will surprise the other team, but really, there's no way this is a good idea. Even his 2 QB's and the rest of his offense don't know who has the job.
-
Official 2009-2010 NCAA Football Thread
Bradford out indefinitely, probably 1-2 weeks before they know how long he'll be out. Either a grade 2 or grade 3 shoulder sprain, he's hoping to avoid surgery if possible. Wonder if he's thought at all about how much money passing on the NFL draft last year cost him. Even if it would have been Detroit's money, that's still a lot of money.
-
The Republican Thread
No one believed me when I applied this level of skepticism to the jobs numbers in the previous 8 years. "Oh, the economy is fine, it's just you crazy libs trying to make the President look bad."
-
Why did we trade Jim Thome?
Guys seriously, what did I just say?
-
Jake Peavy Update Thread
QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 06:51 PM) I think the problem giving so much money for Figgins is that if he loses his speed then he loses a ton of value, and I think 4 years is probably a lot to offer because it is paying him to use his legs through his age 35 season. He does do a lot of great things though. He steals a ton of bases, sees a lot of pitches, makes a lot of contact, walks a lot, and he's versatile defensively. 76% 77% 72% 71% Figgins's SB %ages the last 4 years, in order.
-
2009 MLB Catch-All Thread
QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 06:42 PM) It seems wild that suddenly Jim Thome is a pinch hitter. They can't play him anywhere in the field can they? One bat a game for Thome max? Weird. Joe Torre liked to use Darryl Strawberry in exactly that role when he was with the Yankees, although he had the DH instead of the pitcher's spot. If the Dodgers do make the Series though, they're better set up than any other NL team for the DH.
-
Jake Peavy Update Thread
QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 06:21 PM) Are you saying 4/$44 is a bad deal to give Figgins? Because if so, I agree. Yup. And that's a fairly normal deal for a guy like him, although it's a little difficult to predict exactly with the economy. And that'd be a terrible deal for this team to give out.
-
Why did we trade Jim Thome?
Let's try to watch the personal shots, folks.
-
Jake Peavy Update Thread
QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 05:30 PM) I assume you're suggesting that whatever the Sox would sign Figgins to would have to be a really bad contract? I've read that he'd probably sign for 4 years $44mil. Obviously, that's not chump change, but Fangraphs.com suggests that his output this season alone is worth $23.2mil. He's been an injury risk all throughout his career, but when healthy, he's a difference maker at the top of a lineup. Also, his defense has made major strides at 3B (UZR/150 of 11.2). Personally, I'd welcome that bad contract. That is exactly the kind of contract I'm talking about.
-
5th Starter in 2010?
Also...if Freddo does stay healthy, he could pitch himself either in to legit trade bait or in to a Type B free agent.
-
Catch-All Anything Thread
Half this board is 90% mental.
-
Jake Peavy Update Thread
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 02:26 PM) I really think we splurge on a hitter this year. I think Figgins is in our sights. Kenny has been trying to get him for a while now supposedly. Yeah, after Contreras leaves, we're just not going to have enough really bad contracts.
-
Official 2009-2010 NFL Thread
QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 6, 2009 -> 02:15 PM) She's nasty. And he's a juicer.