Everything posted by southsider2k5
-
2018-9 MLB off season free agency thread
The Rockies have offered Arendo 7/245
-
Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil
Totally agree with this, but especially the first paragraph. I would also point out that Rick worked his way up from the bottom of baseball, and spent a number of years having teams trying to poach him from the White Sox, so he even knew this when he was made GM.
-
Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil
Again, this is where I see the difference between Kenny and Rick as leaders. Kenny is a competitor who has to win at all costs. Rick is an analytic who trusts his instincts. If he has a number set, he isn't going to break that number because it is right. Kenny would have never waited six months for the Quintana trade. The other side is that Kenny wouldn't have waited until February to get Machado signed. He would have bid up months ago. It is good and bad in both.
-
Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil
This is absolutely fair. We keep talking about Rick and Kenny, but this number is going to come directly from Jerry and the board, as they know what is means for the franchise going forward. This doesn't happen without Jerry authorizing it.
-
Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil
I think the Sox have to be considering a failure tax. I know they pretend to be tone deaf, but at the same time are paying attention to everything that is being said, so they obviously care. I could ask here, would it be worst to come in 2nd for Harper, or to not have interest at all, at least as far as the fans see? Could that shape the face they show to the general public if they really do have interest? Being the public leader for Machado made missing out on him WAY worse than if they had never bid on him at all.
-
Water carrying from the white sox community
I can't take it that personally. I like the things that work brings me, and understand that working isn't always going to be ideal. You have to compartmentalization these kind of things. I do my eight hours and don't look back.
-
Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil
- Water carrying from the white sox community
It isn't nearly that serious. Right now I am lucky that I am pretty well off, but in the past it hasn't been that way. You keep perspective and don't give it power over the rest of your life. It wasn't permanent, and eventually I moved on. I like the paycheck more than not. I definitely like it more than unemployment.- Water carrying from the white sox community
I don't decide what my job is. My bosses do. This is true for everyone who works for someone else. I have two choices, find another job or deal with it. My opinion is meaningless.- Water carrying from the white sox community
His bosses felt differently.- Water carrying from the white sox community
Joe Cowley who was run off of the baseball beat because no one would deal with him anymore. Jay Mariotti is pretty much unemployable because of the stunts he pulled. You can be that guy, but there are consequences for it.- Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil
- Water carrying from the white sox community
Their job is what their bosses tell them it is.- Water carrying from the white sox community
It is much easier to tell other people how to do their jobs when there aren't any consequences for yourself.- Water carrying from the white sox community
Have you seen what the job market for journalism looks like today? I don't think many guys want to tell their bosses they can't do their job. Hell, no matter what I think of my employer you won't see me setting fire to that bridge.- Eloy opening day if he earns it
Apparently I don't either.- Eloy opening day if he earns it
It absolutely does not. Too early means 6 years instead of 7. A call up last May puts him on the free agent market a year earlier than May of 19.- Eloy opening day if he earns it
You lose a year calling him up in May of 18 vs May of 19.- Eloy opening day if he earns it
- Eloy opening day if he earns it
Calling him up to move a 100 loss season to 97 losses, losing draft position and a year of control. Makes sense to me.- Machado signs with Padres 10/300
The surest was way to get rid of a thread is to keep posting in it, lol.- Eloy opening day if he earns it
What part of extra and cheaper Eloy Jimenez is less defensible than less and more expensive Eloy?- Outfield Moves if No Harper
If Eloy is in RF, sure. If not, play Palka in RF until forced to do otherwise.- Water carrying from the white sox community
I know people want to be upset, but this is a pretty straightforward thing here.- Water carrying from the white sox community
Umm... - Water carrying from the white sox community
Account
Navigation
Search
Configure browser push notifications
Chrome (Android)
- Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
- Tap Permissions → Notifications.
- Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
- Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
- Select Site settings.
- Find Notifications and adjust your preference.
Safari (iOS 16.4+)
- Ensure the site is installed via Add to Home Screen.
- Open Settings App → Notifications.
- Find your app name and adjust your preference.
Safari (macOS)
- Go to Safari → Preferences.
- Click the Websites tab.
- Select Notifications in the sidebar.
- Find this website and adjust your preference.
Edge (Android)
- Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
- Tap Permissions.
- Find Notifications and adjust your preference.
Edge (Desktop)
- Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
- Click Permissions for this site.
- Find Notifications and adjust your preference.
Firefox (Android)
- Go to Settings → Site permissions.
- Tap Notifications.
- Find this site in the list and adjust your preference.
Firefox (Desktop)
- Open Firefox Settings.
- Search for Notifications.
- Find this site in the list and adjust your preference.