Everything posted by southsider2k5
-
What is up with Lucas Giolito?
His last two starts have also been better. The walks are down, and the groundballs are up. His velocity has also started coming back up in his last two starts, with more emphasis on the fastball (highest usage rates this year in his last two starts) along with a push toward the change and curve instead of the slider. We'll see if it carries through tonight, but the needle has been looking up.
- De Niro at the Tony Awards? My Gosh
-
A fair and balanced soliloquy about Jose Abreu, by ron
Given that it the hit tool is Abreu's carrying tool, and he just happens to be really strong, I think he will carry a fair amount of power too as he ages. He doesn't generate power with an obnoxious long swing, or anything like that. If anything I think he is probably sacrificing 40+ homer power now, in a trade off for being a better contact hitter. It is just with his strength his contact swings can go a long way. I think he could also go the Frank Thomas (as he got into his mid 30's) route and if he wanted to sell out average and contact for power, it is there.
- Avi could start rehab stint next week
- Avi could start rehab stint next week
- Avi could start rehab stint next week
- Avi could start rehab stint next week
-
How eventful will be this years deadline?
Nate Jones is an odd situation. Don't forget he has the odd clause in his contract where if he had elbow surgery, his 2019 option was actually for league minimum, plus a couple of more options. That could actually add to his worth on the open market.
-
Injury updates
I am just going to put a stab in the dark into his getting assigned here in the next week or so when all of the mass of moves happens.
-
A fair and balanced soliloquy about Jose Abreu, by ron
If Jose Abreu came today and said he would sign a reasonable 4 year deal (say under $80 million) which took out his last arb year and his next three FA years, I would do it. I really think his superior hit tool is going to carry him into his mid to late 30's pretty well. Obvious if I could get an option for his last year, I would do it, but when you look at what JD Martinez (AAV $22m, front loaded and opt outs in years two and three), I think that is a pretty reasonable deal.
-
How eventful will be this years deadline?
Typically it wouldn't be too early, but with the injury history and the questions about work ethic, that is what gets me wondering.
-
A fair and balanced soliloquy about Jose Abreu, by ron
I'd feel pretty good about extending him at $18 to $20 million a year for those years.
- What is up with Lucas Giolito?
-
How eventful will be this years deadline?
I think the interesting thing for me at this trade deadline will be to see how many players are dealt, and the depth of the players who are dealt. If we see another heavy year of players going out who aren't at the end of their deals, that means the Sox don't see themselves as competing very soon.
-
Palka vs Davidson @DH
Davidson doesn't have any positional flexibility and they want to be able to use his bat without disrupting Abreu, and without losing Yolmer.
-
2018 White Sox draft picks and signings thread
The Sox haven't missed on signing anyone in the top 15 rounds for a really long time. My guess is the "difficult" signings are the HS picks after the 15th round, with the deeper picks being exponentially tougher than the early ones.
-
Passan analyzes 2018-19 FA class, Harper vs. Machado
If all of our OF's fail that badly, there is no need to sign free agents because this rebuild is screwed.
-
How eventful will be this years deadline?
At this point, I don't know that I am willing to look at a close to market rate extension with Rodon with the information I know today. Unless we got a great deal with a lot of the free agent years falling into team options, I would probably pass.
-
How eventful will be this years deadline?
He's also said he wants to play for the White Sox for the rest of his career.
-
How eventful will be this years deadline?
I think a lot of people underestimate how important it is for players to not only have good coaching from the staff, but to have people off of the staff that also show leadership. The best organizations are self-taught and self-disciplined. Jose Abreu leading the way for the young players is going to have a much larger impact than anything the coaching staff has to say. Leading by example has a huge impact. Oh, and it also is really nice that Jose Abreu is a legitimate middle of the order bat who is extremely consistent from year to year.
-
What is up with Lucas Giolito?
Thanks for sharing. It bears repeating that we have had a couple of very similar pitchers to Lucas in Jon Garland and Gavin Floyd. I know a decent amount of people have quit on him already, but with what Washington did to him, and then trying to rebuild both his motion and his confidence, it isn't going to be an overnight thing.
-
Observations about AZL White Sox
I remember Quintero getting a mention out of spring training too. Was hoping to see him earlier, but it will be interesting to see what he does.
-
AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!
And I would still take that bet.
-
How eventful will be this years deadline?
Bruce Rondon or Carlos Rodon?
-
2018 White Sox catch-all thread
You'd be wrong then. He has been playing the OF 100 games or more in only one of his minor league seasons. including his appearences this season, he has been in the OF in 311 games, and 1B for 188 defensively in the minors. Realistically he has been in the OF for about 60% of his games, and of those, he has been in RF 273, or a little over half of his games total. The only other really he played RF basically every day was 2016.