Everything posted by southsider2k5
-
Predict the FutureSox Top 25
Instead of predicting the Top 25, we should have just predicted when Gage would send the info. By the time Gage sends it, we'll know if these guys have made it or not!
-
Mark Cuban's Magnolia Pictures in discussion to distribute "
QUOTE(rangercal @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 02:42 PM) I can understand if there really is no footage . But fact is, there was. 45 tapes of local businesses in the pentagon area were confiscated by the FBI. Why? Why release only one shot with a bad view and angle? They can release the tapes anytime and shut everyone up, thats includes scholars, Engineers,scientists and former millitary personal. I love this arguement. We are talking about THE most classified and secret building on the entire planet. This is the central intelligence agency of the entire world's HQ. The littlest secret being exposed here could literally get people killed. Of course they aren't allowing footage to be broadcast all over the world, they aren't stupid.
-
According to Russia, a US attack on Iran is 'imminent'
Russia just took a hardline on Iran in regards to their nuclear plant. They have too many interests in Iran ($$$$) to just desert them. This is Russia "helping out" Iran. I just can't believe that anyone would believe this crap.
-
NCAA Title Game
QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 01:54 PM) They made maybe 2 3's coming off ball screens at the top of the key. A majority of the 3's Fla made were on unselfish passes or kick outs after blocks or rebounds. OSU didnt shoot the 3 well ALL game, so the tired legs argument doesnt hold much water. Even the fresh players off the bench (cook,Lighty) could hit a damn thing either. Fla was more clutch, and a better team, putting any of that blame on Matta doesnt make much sense. They couldnt hit, Fla could. You really aren't following what I am saying at all. Both teams had open looks. That is pretty darned obvious, and I never said otherwise. One team's guards worked a lot harder on offense, because they were guarded closer than usual and they worked harder on defense, because they didn't get any help on screen. Those guys got tired from working a lot harder than usual. One team's guard got a free pass because the other team did not make them work on offense, and they didn't have to scramble on defense, because they weren't double teaming at all. One team hit a lot of their shots and the other didn't. One teams legs were fresher than the others because of their workloads. The coaches each put in the strategies that led to their teams respective style of play. The numbers bear out that one team's guards were fresher than the other team's guards.
-
NCAA Title Game
QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 01:27 PM) Wow, I couldnt disagree much more. OSU had just as many wide open looks behind the arc as Fla did. They even had several breakaways where they pulled up for a brick from 3. If OSU shoots even remotely better from behind the arc they make it a different game. The name of the game was 10-18 that Fla put up. Both teams had huge open looks. Matta even made great defensive changes in the 2nd half that shut down Brewer and the post players for much of the half. He used a front guy on Noah basically making him ineffective on the offensive end. If Matta had something to do with the worst shooting game of the tourney by OSU then maybe you are correct. OSU shoots about 36 percent from behind the arc as a team. Last night they shot .174. Their top 3 point shooters are Harris, Butler and Lewis. Last night they went 3-18. If you REALLY think that Donovan had that much effect on their shooting, and Matta hurt it that much, then you give WAY too much credit to coaching. I guess Donovan coached his team to a .556 ungodly shooting percentage from 3 as well? I know you are really biased when it comes to your teams, but the proof is in the pudding. Florida's guards didn't have to work for a thing last night, because Motta was too scared of picking up cheap fouls on Oden hedging the screen. OSUs guards got beat up all night long on screens by Florida's big men, and didn't have the legs to shoot the ball as the game progressed. Plus being one on one all night, versus having a ton of open looks they are used to with other teams who double and triple teamed Oden in the post, means those guards had to work harder to get open on offense as well. You are looking at the shooting percentages the completely wrong way. If anything they reinforce my points instead of deny them. Florida's guards didn't have to work nearly as hard as the Buckeyes did, and it showed in the box score. Thad Motta made a huge mistake in this game by sagging his big men on the Florida pick and roll, plus Donovan was smart to not double team Oden. They dared the rest of OSU to beat them, and they couldn't, because they were too tired.
-
Tribune Company Accept's Zell's Bid
QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 12:51 PM) I was once told the big shareholder with the White Sox was the Fanning Cadillac guy. Another interesting note is JR is saying it would be tough for Cuban to be approved as an owner. He also said his vote for approval to buy the Mavericks was 29-1. He was the one against, and if he doesn't want someone to own a MLB team, chances are they won't. That doesn't surprise me at all. Baseball is still a good old boys club when it comes to ownership. Plus the current crop of owners has a few guys that like to spend too much as it is now, the last thing they want is someone like Cuban who will spend whatever it takes to win.
-
NCAA Title Game
Billy Donovan>Thad Motta This game was totally determined by the coaches. Motta made the mistake of worrying about foul trouble instead of the game plan, and it killed him. Florida got so many clean looks at three pointers it was sick. FLAs 3 pt percentage reflected that. They kept running the pick and roll off of the top of the key, and instead of the big man (usually Oden) jumping the screener to force the play deep, they made the little man fight through the screens with no help. The result was that not only did FLA get a ton of open looks, but the OSU guards worked their asses off on the D-end of the floor. That showed as their legs were not their on their three pointers all night long. I believe that is what contributed to the low 3pt % of OSU. Plus Donavan made the smart move by allowing his big men to play Oden one on one, and made the rest of the Buckeyes beat them one on one. Oden did his damage, but no one else from OSU really picked up the load. The three point stripe was covered, and their were no extra driving lanes open because everyone played honestly. Billy Donavan pretty much owned Motta in every facet of this game.
-
Tribune Company Accept's Zell's Bid
QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 12:10 PM) So I'm either confused or coming to a very cool realization... If Zell, who has purchased the TribuneCo., has to now sell the Cubs, does that mean that the Tribune has partial indirect ownership of the White Sox now? No. Zell is the owner of both. Its like you having a Ford and Chevy. They don't own each other, you own them.
-
According to Russia, a US attack on Iran is 'imminent'
Please. We aren't going to just lob a few Tomahawks missles into Iran for effect. If we are going to attack Iran, we are going to actually take a real military action. Britian might run a commando raid to get their boys back, but a real attack of Iran isn't going to be possible overnight, and any speculation otherwise is just garbage. 3 carriers aren't going to attack Iran. We didn't even use that little for Iraq who had gone through a decade of sanctions and had their military decimated 10 years prior.
-
According to Russia, a US attack on Iran is 'imminent'
We are not attacking Iran in a week. That might be the most stupid thing I have ever read.
-
Sox 4th in total 2007 payroll
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseball/310...salaries03.html
-
Tribune Company Accept's Zell's Bid
One interesting footnote to this.... Zell has to sell the Cubs, because he already owns an interest in another professional baseball franchise. Anyone have a guess as to what team that is? Yup, that's right, the Chicago White Sox. Everyone wants to know who the big money is behind the White Sox, well now you know.
-
House votes to protect "John Doe's"
QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 09:23 AM) I guess I wouldn't find anyone, Middle Eastern or not, taking pictures and looking at maps at the Tower, to be worthy of notice. This is exactly what 101 was saying earlier - this kind of reaction means we already lost. I think much of our society has become far too paranoid about these things. Living in fear is miserable. Better we act on REAL evidence, like intelligence gathered, than be constantly suspicious of people who are doing nothing wrong. Well whatever, pick a strange situation. The point is, its not worth it to say anything if you can have your life ruined for being wrong.
-
House votes to protect "John Doe's"
Working in the city, I can tell you this is more than just on planes. For example, I walk past the Sears Tower every day. I see people taking pictures of it all of the time. Now if I saw three middle eastern looking guys acting nervous, holding maps, and taking pictures, I would stop for second, because of the alerts that have been issued to us. With no protection under the law, I wouldn't report it though. The odds are it is just a jittery tourist, but what if it isn't? To me its not worth being labeled a racist, or much worse, when the odds are that it is nothing. If there is a risk of my family being ruined or indanger, I am staying silent unless it is 100% obvious. Plus the law isn't just to stop innocent people from seeking redress. Its to stop innocent people who make a good faith effort from having their lives ruined for doing the right thing.
-
House votes to protect "John Doe's"
QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 08:23 AM) As soon as someone links to an attack that could have been prevented if someone wasn't afraid to speak up, your point about potential bombing victims makes sense. Funny it takes a lawsuit by an unpopular group to spark this. I wonder if it was a group of Methodist Pastors who were turned in by a group of Muslims if the same legislation would be enacted? (No need to answer this) Or at least we did before this legislation. First of all, who do you think would actually come forward and say, "I could have prevented 9-11, but I was afraid to say something, because I didn't want to be accused of being a racist for thinking a Muslim would be a terrorist" or "I didn't report [thenext9-11] because I heard about fatwas being issued to kill people"? I know I wouldn't be running to the media if I had 2874 lives on my conscious. I know many won't say it, but I will. I will not report an incident unless I know with near 100% certianty what is going on, because I am more worried about the potential reprecussions of being wrong. I would pretty much have to hear someone say "I have a bomb" before I would think about reporting it. And even then, I would have to stop and consider whether or not it seemed like an idiot joking or not. To me, the odds are much more in favor of it being a misunderstand, and potentially ruining my life and the life of my family over a misunderstanding is not worth it. Plus I think the big issue here is that you are totally misunderstanding this law. There is no protection for malice.
-
Executive Pay and Its Effect on the Economy
I don't think you look at this politically at all. If the system really holds that executives are getting paid too much, they will start penalizing the stocks of companies that pay their execs too much. The big thing to remember is that most of the big paydays we are hearing about is stock option compensation, versus actual dollar compensation.
-
Happy Birthday aboz!!!
Happy Birthday Alex
-
House votes to protect "John Doe's"
QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 1, 2007 -> 06:12 PM) For over two hundred years we have lived without this law, how? What great social problems are we trying to fix? With this law, we are taking away the right of innocent Americans to sue when they are falsely accused, and now protect someone who makes the false accusation. That's progress Get past this example and look at how that can be abused. So wait, are you saying that laws shouldn't change, or that we shouldn't have any new laws? I agree that the victims deserve more protection that they get in most cases. Besides, our great legal system actually has protections against the false accusations that Tex is more worried about than the potential dead people that everyone else is more worried about. There are statutes already against false accusing, perjury etc. There is no real protection for potential victims, only people who are already victims. And I don't know about you, but I have no desire to be the target of a fatwa. I have got to be honest here, I would actually be leary of reporting any strange activity of a person who looked to be a Muslim, because I would fear for my families lives if I did. I almost literally would have to see them placing a bomb or something before I would say something in this day and age.
-
Opening Day: White Sox vs. Indians, 4/2/07 (L)
QUOTE(WCSox @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 01:44 PM) ESPN Gameday is reporting both throwing mid-90's regularly. Cool. That means our gun is 3-5 mph slow.
-
Opening Day: White Sox vs. Indians, 4/2/07 (L)
QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 01:43 PM) Get someone up in the pen. He has nothing. Very concerned about his velocity. Is his velocity down? CC only topped out at 93 mph in his first inning as well.
-
Opening Day: White Sox vs. Indians, 4/2/07 (L)
Is the gun about 5mph slow, or are both Sabathia and Contreras throwing really slow?
-
Opening Day Notes
QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 2, 2007 -> 10:51 AM) Applause. ^^^^
-
New leadership?
3 cheers for the most ethical Congress EVER!!! I am tuning in Sunday to see Patrick Lehey screaming about supenas and answers!
-
Teachers ban Legos to teach a message
QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Mar 31, 2007 -> 11:24 AM) Again, there's a middle ground between hyper-capitalism and hyper-statism. Criticism of one style of economics does not a hyper-socialist make. Sure, and if the article had actually stated that is was about sharing, and not an exericize against the uber-evils of captialism, I might believe that for about a second. I don't know how much more clearly the intentions needed to be stated for that to be obvious to all.
-
The Official [SCRUBS] Thread
QUOTE(Soxy @ Mar 29, 2007 -> 07:10 PM) I believe that was Troy. When he and the Janitor were looking up how to make 30 cents with two coins and one of them ISN'T a nickle. "See, it's funny because you've never really satisfied a woman!" Is that the Bob Kelso robot as told by Dr Cox?