Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

southsider2k5

Admin
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by southsider2k5

  1. QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 10:08 AM) The HOF is a slimy little place. It's sanctimonious, it's disingenuous, it's political. Pete Rose should be in for his achievements. Shoeless Joe, too. Why don't we kick Ty Cobb out for being a bad guy? Besides, I think a lifetime ban from playing the game should have nothing to do with being kept out of the HOF. Because Pete Rose isn't being banned from baseball for being a "bad guy", he is banned for betting on baseball. No matter what the "what if's" he knowingly bet on baseball. Betting on baseball has been a bannable offense since Landis was the commish of baseball. I don't care if Barry Bonds was injecting crack into his aorta while kicking puppies at nuns on Easter Sunday, none of that is a bannable offense under the rules that MLB has had for nearly 100 years. Pete Rose knowingly broke the one rule in baseball that you cannot break. I don't even care that he lied about it like a little b****, the fact remains he bet on baseball repeatedly for a long period of time. Like the saying goes, if you can't do the time, don't do the crime.
  2. QUOTE(WhiteSoxFan1 @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 11:04 AM) To elaborate on my above statement, he’s getting voted to stay so to the judges, they should lay off him a little. If the judges didn’t like his performance then fine that’s fair. Nothing wrong with giving him some criticism, but with this kid they take it overboard. I mean if its a bad performance fine, say he wasn’t vocally good, and it was a bad performance you don’t have to punk the kid out on national TV with that whole screaming whale comment and saying how he’s only there because of his hair and how he belongs on a high school musical. Hell Diana Ross sounded like complete s*** yesterday and I don’t see her getting punked out. They will pretty much slam anyone who has a bad night on this show. The difference is that this guy has a bad night, every night he was out there. I don't care who put him on there, it really screws the people who have left when someone who couldn't carry their jocks get to stay for whatever reason.
  3. QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 10:45 AM) Given that we have 2 really big quality guys hitting the FA market at the end of this season, if we're 5+ games out of first at the AS break, a fire sale certainly doesn't seem like a terrible idea if it brings back good people. If we aren't in contention, I would totally be in favor of getting what we can for guys that aren't going to be with us in the near future anyway. Someone might blow us away and make us a better team for a decade.
  4. QUOTE(quickman @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 09:44 AM) problem the sox have is they cannot bring him in with bases laoded and two outs, because its 50-50 on whether he will throw a strike, but I like him to start an inning where there will be two lefties coming up. Some guys will always be wild, this may be the case with Sisco, but if used in the right situation (non pressure) he can help. used in the wrong situation, well he will be picking up the practice balls in AAA. If they really want the kid to realize his potential, and not sacrifice it for short-term gain like KC did, they will buy the kid a plane ticket to North Carolina, at least for a while.
  5. One crazy idea I wanted to throw out there... How long until Desmond ends up killing Charlie because he is sick of saving his life?
  6. QUOTE(WhiteSoxFan1 @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 10:28 AM) Well hes only 17, plus whats the kid supose to do? Its not like hes up there bragging about being the best. Age doesn't matter. The Sparks girl is only 17 and she doesn't completely suck.
  7. QUOTE(WhiteSoxFan1 @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 09:03 AM) Sanjaya still alive, but its getting ridiculous. I feel bad for the dude because its almost like the whole american idol crew looks at him like hes a piece of s*** for eliminating the other contestants. Hes gotta feel so uncomfortable. Well when you are a no-talent ass clown, whose very presence means that someone much more talented is gone, you are probably going to get some dirty looks. He should feel uncomfortable, as he does not belong there. Heck they dude shouldn't have made the final 24 let alone 12.
  8. QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 09:38 AM) I believe in the preview for next week that there was a very angry Locke holding a gun and shouting "I'm not here for Jack!" Yeah, he was holding a gun to Ben.
  9. QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 12:15 AM) Hypothetically: What if it comes out that, say, Greg Maddux is a crackhead. Are we going to keep him out of the hall because that's "messed up" or something? Keep him out for the kids? What if, say, it comes out that Mariano Rivera gambled on his own performances. "I'll bet I can save this game." Should he be kept out? I can't understand why Pete Rose isn't a HOFer. Because MLB wants to make a point about gambling? about lying? as if this organization of Jeff Loria's and Barry Bonds' is some living breathing allegory? I'm all for players being role-models but I don't think Kirby Puckett's violence against women should keep him from the Hall. I don't think Paul Molitor or Tim Raines' drug use should keep them from the Hall. I don't think Pete Rose' gambling should keep him from the Hall. Guess I'm just crazy. Its not like this is a new thing. Since 1920 it has been known that if you are caught betting on baseball at all, you will be banned from the game, period. Its not about making a point, its about protecting the integrity of the game. All of the other things you sited, while not nice, are not bannable offenses in baseball.
  10. QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 03:52 PM) I think the problem with Heath is that he's just too far back along the depth chart. Even if things go wrong, we have our top 4 starters ahead of him, plus Floyd, Haeger, Danks, and Broadway, plus maybe Sisco, Masset, and probably a few others I'm forgetting. Even if Buehrle leaves next offseason...there still doesn't seem to be room to pencil him into the rotation. And supposedly, he has only 1 minor league option left. It just doesn't seem like he developed fast enough to be able to make th e impact with this team. He is literally our tenth starter right now. He could change that with more results, but as of now, he is down the depth chart too far.
  11. Good for Kenny. I like that he is honest with the kids, he wants them to learn from their mistakes, and he didn't call the kid out to the media. I really, really, really, think this kid needs to be broken down and rebuilt like he would if he were going into the military. He just needs to pitch, and I think working as a starter in Charlotte will do him a world of good as he would have to concentrate on his secondary pitches, location, mechanics etc, where as out of the pen in Chicago, his outings would be so erratic, he wouldn't have a chance to fix his problems in real time.
  12. The next two days are going to be fun. Friday is a quadruple witching. Yeah volitility!
  13. QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 07:14 AM) What does this have to do with Fox News? I guess I missed something. It was funny when the Dems were ducking the Presidental debates because they were moderated/on Fox. Now the Dems are being told to avoid Colbert too, who doesn't carry the scarlet "R" that Fox does.
  14. So is it as humorous now that it isn't Fox news? http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/emanue...2007-03-14.html More at link...
  15. QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 11:15 PM) Rose should never even smell the hall. No way, no how, never. ^^^^
  16. QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 09:00 PM) I hated Tracey Morgan on SNL but he's just outstanding on 30 Rock. Most everything he says is hilarious. Tina Fey seriously ruins that show. She was solid on the SNL news with Fallon, but I haven't seen anything funny from her outside of that.
  17. QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 06:06 PM) You're right. The President was impeached because there was an element of the GOP that refused to accept the legitimacy of the Clinton presidency and sought to undermine it in every way necessary. And that would be exactly how I would sum up the last 6 years for Bush as well.
  18. That was another good episode. It will be interesting as Desmond's secret gets less and less secret, how that gets handled. You know people aren't going to be able to keep something that good to themselves. Locke has his weekly run of "I did it my way"'s, which ended up killing the Russian, not to mention really putting an odd distrust in the air. Where did he find the C-4 exactly if he never went into the basement, and why didn't he tell anyone else? There is something we don't know going on there, and its getting to the point where I don't really trust him. He totally avoided Kate when she asked about him about saving Jack. The scene are the barrier was pretty cool. Part of me was wondering if the death scene was a fake job, except that was pretty convincing with the blood out of the ears and such. They haven't done the whole fake death thing yet, but it still wouldn't surprise me. The revelation about Clair and Jack being sibs took long enough to happen. I caught that when they tipped it earlier a season or two ago, but it was nice to have in the open. I wonder how long until they figure it out?
  19. QUOTE(Soxy @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 05:39 PM) I've done it, but my sister hasn't. I might make her do that when she's up here (only a three hour drive)--but she'll have to get a passport first too. . . Well that could be worth it if it works out, if not Mammoth Caves are great, and pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things.
  20. One question Soxy, where you guys are, have you done the Canadian side of Niagra Falls before? I would recommend that over a cave trip, if you haven't done either.
  21. QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 01:50 PM) If he ever gets a real shot again is even the better question. he'll get a shot, it just might not be in Chicago.
  22. QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 01:19 PM) Speaking of. . . it looks like the Conrad Black case is starting up and you gioys should be able to enjoy that for a while, eh? Yeah Black is going to be a fun one. He is going to be up creek without a paddle. I walk past the federal building on my way to our office in the MERC building and they were loaded up with camera trucks at 5:45 am. That means someone big is on trial...
  23. Mammoth Caves is awesome. We went in 04 for a 4 day weekend over the 4th of July and had a great time. They have a ton of different tours and opportunities for stuff to do. There are also multiple other caves in the general area that are worth checking out. If you want more info, let me know and I can pass on some ideas and suggestions for you.
  24. QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 01:19 PM) Just a couple quick comparisons I came up with off the top of my head: Alfonso Soriano through 394 career ABs: 98H | 55R | 25 2B | 9HR | 38RBI | .249/.280/.391/.670 Aramis Ramirez through 399 career ABs: 89H | 29R | 16 2B | 7HR | 38RBI | .223/.283/.326/.609 Brian Anderson through 399 career ABs: 88H | 49R | 24 2B | 10HR | 36RBI | .221/.281/.361/.642 Miguel Tejada through 400 career ABs: 91H | 55R | 21 2B | 10HR | 48RBI | .228/.293/.370/.663 Paul Konerko through 398 career ABs: 93H | 42R | 14 2B | 13HR | 48RBI | .234/.286/.372/.658 Troy Glaus through 400 career ABs: 93H | 59R | 26 2B | 12HR | 53RBI | .233/.301/.388 /.689 So yeah, Brian Anderson is pretty f***ed. Great work as usual. QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 14, 2007 -> 01:26 PM) They are facts, per se, but they're misleading as well. We might see BA go on like these guys -- I doubt it -- or we might see BA go on to be a little below league average -- probably -- or we might see him go up there and fail completely again. We won't know for awhile. I really just think he belongs in AAA for a while longer. Why are they misleading? They are guys who were in the exact boat as Anderson and still went on to be pretty damned good ML players. Anderson was a first round draft pick, so it isn't like the guy doesn't have potential. There is something there that has seen him fly through the minors, and attract attention from a very young age. Whether he realizes that potential is yet to be seen.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.