Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

southsider2k5

Admin
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by southsider2k5

  1. QUOTE(Soxy @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 11:14 AM) If they don't already have TRiO (it's a federally funded program that mentors kids from young ages (elementary) all way up to getting into graduate school. Like I said, I don't know if MC has any of the TRiO program, but I have a friend that works on it up in Minnesota and it seems successful. In case you're interested here's the link. Thanks for the link... I am going to look up our exsisting programs and see how it compares, and if it is something that is feasible here. Also on a personal note, I want to send an extreme thanks, this time publically to all those who sent in donations to aid my campaign. This has been an incredible learning experience for me, and really a potentially life changing experience for me. No matter the amount, large or small, it has all been a huge help, and not only that, but a great boost of confidence to know that other people believe enough to send in something out of their own pockets. Thanks again!
  2. southsider2k5 replied to Soxy's topic in SLaM
    QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 02:14 PM) Not so fast SS2K. While Ford and GM move manufacturing capacity to places like Canada and Mexico as fast as they can, Toyota, Mitsubishi and Nissan are opening up plants in the midwest and southeast. Seems nowadays if you want to buy American you should get yourself one of those shiny new Toyotas as American cars are American in name only. That's why I laugh when I see GM's latest ad campaign featuring "This is our country" by John Mellencamp. They must think we're stupid or something. Tell me one that has offered anything near the compensation packages that the US companies have.
  3. Unless of course as a condition for approving the trade, MLB did in fact say that the money has to follow Alex Rodriguez no matter where he goes. I do believe that is the debate now. it seems as if ordinarily it would not have to be so, but in this particular case, baseball said it had to be this way in order to approve the trade, for whatever reason, and both teams did in fact agree to this.
  4. QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 01:46 PM) Here is what they are saying: The Rangers send the Yankees $. However, the Yankees agreed, as one term in the original trade, that they would pass this money along in any future trade. This is the key here. If this is indeed true (and I just don't remember seeing it) then we have our answer, and can end this nonsense finally. Does anyone have a link that actually said the Yankees are required by MLB to pass along this money if Alex leaves NYY?
  5. Another good arguement for campaign finance report is right here... It seems Hillary Clinton isn't happy with a 32 point lead over her opponent in the race for Senator of NY. She is spending heavily hoping to use it as a statement of her broad appeal nationally in case she decides to indeed run for President. She has spent $10 million in the last quarter for a race that has never been in doubt. How does that make any sense? http://www.hillnews.com/thehill/export/The...06/clinton.html
  6. QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 12:29 PM) SurveyUSA. 10/21-23. Likely voters. MoE 4.3% (9/16-18 results) Perry ® 36 (35) Bell (D) 26 (23) Strayhorn (I) 19 (15) Friedman (I) 16 (23) A Rasmussen poll to be released later has it Perry 36 (33), Bell 25 (18), Strayhorn 22 (22), and Kinky Friedman 12 (16). Kinky is getting Krushed.
  7. southsider2k5 replied to Soxy's topic in SLaM
    Sad, but no big surprise either... All of those nice Hyundais, Toyotas, and Hondas on the road mean less American high paying, benefit filled jobs. This is just a continuation of that.
  8. QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 11:34 AM) Yeah, like you're the first person today to tell me that.
  9. QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 11:20 AM) Article I, sections 2 and 8 say "Hi". I'm not saying I buy that... just sayin. QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 11:31 AM) I blame liberal members of the Supreme Court over the years who have essentially given up on this amendment. They expand the words of the text or read into the text so much that a lot of the clauses are essentially at odds with the original meaning. I'm a Scalia fan, not just because he's a textualist/originalist (even though there are problems with that theory...) but because he has a proper sense of the role of the Court, which is to NOT decide public policy. His motto is "if the people want it, take it to the the legislatures not the courts." And I think this is the fine distinction that is meant when people talk about legislating from the bench. When the courts take up cases speficially because they want to establish a precident in them, this is what is being talked about.
  10. QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 11:54 AM) No, the Tookie dude doesn't post here anymore. You also forgot that in about ten posts from now, a moderator looks at the discussion shakes his/her head at how nasty it got so quickly and then closes it. Assuming the thread stays true to form, that is. Not to mention the thread crying about the original thread being closed...
  11. QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 10:56 AM) The 10th Amendment: The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people. This to me says quite clearly that the Constitution is an affirmative document in explicitly providing powers to the federal government. Meaning, EVERYTHING not SPECIFICALLY given to the federal government, was meant to be reserved for the States, or the people (via lower levels of government in some cases). The 10th is by far the most abused and forgotten entry of the Bill of Rights. That is the entire basis for the guys who refuse to pay their taxes on the basis that the IRS is unconstitutional in its very exsistance.
  12. QUOTE(Soxy @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 11:03 AM) That's just depressing. Do the schools have an outside mentoring programs? Like the TRiO program? I remember when I was at St. Olaf that they had some success working with kids from the Twin Cities. They have a ton of them, most of them are new under our shiney new Strategic Plan, of course which the school board almost didn't approve... They have all kinds of intervention, remediation, and alternative programs, including stuff working with local hospitals and couseling providers. Funding has been the biggest problem in keeping many of these programs going on.
  13. QUOTE(kapkomet @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 10:09 AM) Can they not renegotiate the deal(s)? I know that it's frowned upon, and probably will take 700 lawyers, but I bet that behind the scenes this is what would have to happen... because the rumors have been out there for years that when a said player goes to a third team, funny things start happening to these "agreements". The MLB players union will not allow a deal where any player accepts less money for any reason. Arod originally wanted to do something that would have lessened the total dollar compensation, and the players union wouldn't allow it.
  14. I would contend that orginally the states were supposed to contain the majority of the power, not the Congress, President, or Judiciary. Out of the 3 federal branches historically there is no doubt in my mind they wanted the Congress to be the most powerful branch, but with definate limits. Remember in a historical context they were trying to avoid a King-type leader who had a ton of power, as the states were pretty cognisant of the King of England exerting his power over them for something like 200 years at that point. The executive branch was definately supposed to be the weakest of the 3 groups.
  15. QUOTE(Soxy @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 10:31 AM) Wow, that's huge--so the 20% rate, does that mean that 1 our of 5 kids in MC schools are in the special ed program? That's going to be an enormous problem for those graduation rate. I'm not sure how it work in IN, but aren't special ed kids allowed to be in school until 20 or 21? So, to keep these graduation rates intact some of those kids couldn't be moved up until they are 16 or 17? Lawmakers seem to be so out of touch with the needs of special populations (or at least special populations with no money). I think the minimum age bump up is really good though. I saw an episode of Oprah (I know, I know) and I seem to remember them focusing pretty hard on IN about a higher drop out rate, though, admittedly, I don't remember what part of IN that was. Even worse than our SpeEd rates are our poverty rates. System wide it is something like 58%, 9-12 it is 43%. The middle school my wife teachers at is 70%. She has a kid in her class right now who has started downhill in her behavior, whom she is trying to "save". This kid has never had ANYONE in her entire family who has EVER graduated high school. The kid expects to be a dropout and on welfare, self-admittedly. She knows nothing else, and doesn't even understand that there are other possibilies. Its a rough system and needs a TON of help. QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 10:36 AM) Years back, the Denver Public School Districts, at the high school level, implemented a drop out program I really liked. Basically, for anyone under 18, in order to legally leave high school, the student and parents had to read a document out loud, and sign each point. Each point was something awful about leaving high school, like the staggeringly high rate of poverty for high school dropouts, lowered life span, rate of violent death, etc. The parent and student had to read each of these outloud and sign after each one that they understood the risks. That is of course a last resort sort of tactic, but, I kind of liked it. Interesting. Was there a follow up study to see if it changed the dropout rates at all?
  16. QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 09:12 AM) So if the Yanks trade him they KEEP the money?? They don't have to give it to ARod? Are you f***ing kidding me? And no, I couldn't be done with this glowing opportunity to point out some stupidity. That has been a bone of contention in other trades. I know I have read other deals where just because a team got sent money in a trade, they were not obligated to send it on the next team if that player was again traded. It seems like that was something that came up in the Vazquez deal, but I can't remember now for sure.
  17. The Federal Reserve Bank of the United States of America
  18. QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 08:19 AM) Hilary>Obama for the GOP. WINNER!
  19. Hillary>Obama, at least according to Dick
  20. For our district imparticular, is going to be really bad, because there is also no distinction made for learning disabled/special education students. They also must graduate in 4 years meeting all Indiana/federal standards, no exceptions, or they count as "not gradutated." EDIT-I left out that the MCAS special ed rate is 20%, which is the highest in the state as of last year.
  21. QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 07:04 AM) If the Sox sign a Japanese pitcher this off season, it won't be Matsuzaka... It will be either Hiroki Kuroda or Kazumi Saito, the later who actually put up better numbers than Matsuzaka. QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 07:04 PM) Boras to represent Japanese pitching star Matsuzaka Well that ended up being more true than I ever would have thought... and it only took 12 hours
  22. An interesting thing came out of the school board meeting last night... It seems the State of Indiana has changed the way that they are going to calculate "graduation rate" completely by 2008-2009. The new rate is literally going to be how many students graduate in exactly four years, with very few exceptions. The new law is stringent enough that systems supposedly have to prove that a student has left the system, not just that they can't find the student anymore, in order to purge them from their numbers as "not graduated". Self-admitedly they have no means of verifying if a kid moves out of state, and those numbers will be included unless the school can prove otherwise. Also there is no recognition of a student who dropouts out and enters a GED program, and they are considered "not graduated" like any ordinary kid who just quits. The only real exception is for parents who file paperwork to have their kids homeschooled. Finally Indiana is changing the compulsory attendance age to 18. Thoughts?
  23. QUOTE(JackTalkThai @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 02:01 PM) This whole story has been SO freaking overblown it's ridiculous. Everyone uses pine-tar.....everyone. Link to article Ah yes, the old "everyone does it" arguement. I remember when that worked... back in 3rd grade.
  24. QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 01:39 PM) I think the electoral college system is really useless. whoever gets the most votes should be president. I used to be very opposed to publicly funded elections. I've warmed to it some, but not enough to make it completely practical.... Still seems to infringe to greatly on 1st amendment rights. I know the first amendment is made as the arguement against public financing of elections. My question is with the amount of money spend in election cycles jumping ever higher, do people who don't have the means to afford things like lobbiers and campaign contributions really have equal protection under the freedom of speech? Heck does the middle class have the same freedom of speech as say Bill Gates? We sure don't have equal access to our politicians and our political system in general as I see it.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.