Everything posted by southsider2k5
-
Bush's 1st Veto
QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 08:57 AM) Yeah, it does, except that the Christian fertility clinic hypocrisy also exists completely separated from the stem cell issue. It's all about 'following God's Will' unless God's apparent Will is that a Christian couple not bear children. In that instance, God's Will is thrown out and the fertility clinic is enlisted and through frrtility drugs and sonic bombardment of the ovaries, etc., a massive amount of ova are harvested, artificially fertilized and implanted. Ah, the mysterious ways in which God's Will works. Then, however, when doctors advise down the line that their assisted childbirth protocol urges the selective termination of several or the implanted embryos for the sake of the health ofthe eventual offspring and the mother, God's Will again comes up. This time, though, it's God's will to refuse the advice of the clinicians rather than exploiting their services as God conveniently Willed them to do a few months earlier. You can't "MURDER" any of the sacred implanted embryos, and it's better to risk the health and safety of six or seven of them than to ensure that one or two of them have the best chance at survival and healthy life. And meanwhile, God's Will that the couple employ marvels of modern science to have a family rather than adopting has resulted in the creation of a bunch of excess fertilized embryos that do not meet Sacred muster and sit in a freezer unused until they are terminated. God's Will is conveniently maleable to fit the needs of the couple. And no, I don't suggest that Christian couples are making disoproportionate use of fertility clinics. It's just that they are the ones who will follow clinical protocol as far as implanting the embryos but not as far as selective reduction. Which means they are the couples on TV all the time having quintuplets and sextuplets and septuplets with all but guaranteed lifetime health issues. Because the lucky embryos that touched uterine tissue are, poof, all Sacred now, but the ones not eslected for implantation are not. Christian indignation at the thought of using existing frozen embryos for stem cell research is merely another layer in a convoluted, hypocritical and convenient interpretation of what wits within God's Will and what does not. I would have to say that life vs taking of the life is the big picture in the arguement there. I don't know about the whole God's will thing, because I don't know what to think of predestination and other ickey arguements like that, but I think giving life vs taking life is the important thing there.
-
Indiana = Most Terror Targeted state in the Union
Ah, as if I needed afirmation of my stance that Indiana is indeed governed by the biggest concentration of self-centered idiots known to mankind QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 11:23 AM) How on earth did they forget the Barker Mansion and Ames Field? WHAT ABOUT LIGHTHOUSE PLACE!^%$#^%$#!^%! QUOTE(WCSox @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 11:48 AM) IIRC, our nation's largest stockpile of VX is located in Western Indiana. NW Indiana is also home to the 3rd largest refinary capacity in the USA, one of the few LEGITIMATE targets that could actually be taken seriously.
-
Hawks Finally Make a Move
For the latest talk on the Hawks moves... http://www.talkbhawks.com/forums/index.php?showforum=1
-
80's Video's
QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 11, 2006 -> 05:35 PM) For the Steve Perry fans... http://www.dvdsmusicvideos.com/auto.php?vi...Separate%20Ways http://www.dvdsmusicvideos.com/auto.php?vi...-%20Oh%20Sherry [crickets] [tumbleweeds] [paintdries] [washeshair] [grassgrows] [ozziegoestosensitivityclasses] [cubsplayoffchances]
-
Middle East conflict
Two more IDF soldiers kidnapped...
-
Blue Line derailment.
Damn with the headline and pics on the cover of the ST it looks 50 times worse than it sounds.
-
Soxtalk
QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Jul 11, 2006 -> 09:30 PM) a definate "F U" for a response Awww, lets hug it out
-
Soxtalk
Definate "F" for a post :headshake
-
Madison's first Soxtalk post
mklmkjn injksrkmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhbnjnm vcjhbhjjhfv 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 cxj b wsetwlsvskl;u xlmk ms;l,l .' ' ?F zakijZH NNB WS000000000000099999HHJ JMZNJZS Nz LZ ASZOPM, ZSA,KLLAK CXN C XC
-
Middle East conflict
QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jul 11, 2006 -> 12:03 PM) There are 6.5 million Israelis in Israel. Or roughly 1/50th the population of our country. So it stands to reason that 60 terrorism related deaths a year would equate to a problem of 9/11 proportions. Between 2000 and 2006, over 1100 Israelis have been killed due to terrorism. That's has the population impact of 18 9/11s proportionally. Thanks, but I'll pass on the Israeli methods of fighting terrorism. How many Israelis died in wars from 1948-1999? I think you will find it is less than the 1100 over 6 years you just sited. To be honest, I am not sure exactly what Israel is supposed to do. Even after they left Gaza, the Palestians moved in, and began indiscriminately lobbing missles from the very areas that Israel gave back to them. That doesn't exactly seem like it worked to me. They have tried for decades to talk to various countries and leaders who have aided and funded the terrors thron against, Israel, and that hasn't worked. They have tried to involved the UN, the US, England, Eygpt, and anyone else that they could get to sit down with them, and that hasn't worked. They have invaded areas that they were being attacked from, and arrested/assassinated the leaderships of groups trying to exterminate them, and that hasn't worked. In other words, nothing Israel does, short of either walking out of the Holy Lands, or committing mass suicide will stop Palestinians from trying to kill them. Nothing. It is Hama's sworn duty to wipe Israel off of the map. All they care about it minimizing how many of their citizens die. There are fewer people dying of terrorism than of the full blown wars they have fought in the past, so something seems to be working better than just fighting them outright, at least if human death toll is the primary measurement of "success". Also again, what did the group who kidnapped the soldier expect? Israel just to roll over and deal with it? What in their history would have ever indicated that? Also if the things are so bad for all of the civilians, why don't the terrorists just release the soldier?
-
ST Poll: Who was the MVP of the first-half?
I like the Jenks vote. With as crazy as the starting pitching and bullpen as been, Jenks has been an anchor out there. I think the offense could have survived with out one of Thome or Dye, but this team would be 15 games out of first place without Jenks at the end of the pen.
-
2006 White Sox Catch-All Thread
QUOTE(mreye @ Jul 11, 2006 -> 10:15 AM) SS keeps score? Why am I not surprised? I think that's about as many as we have. I've been teaching one kid that really wants to learn, though. How many people still know how to keep score bowling? I learned as a little guy back in the old ballpark. My dad taught me mostly to keep me busy, but I still keep score at big games, and I plan on teaching Madison if she wants to learn. And I do know now to score bowling as well
-
Seven explosions hit Bombay's commuter rail system:
Wow, the number of dead keeps going up quickly
-
The Official, "What I did today thread"
QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 06:47 PM) Woke up, got out of bed dragged a comb across my head. Found my way downstairs and drank a cup and looking up, I noticed I was late. Found my coat and grabbed my hat. Made the bus in seconds flat. Found my way upstairs and had a smoke. Somebody spoke and I went into a dream. That's about it. PLUSHIE PATROL!!!
-
Seven explosions hit Bombay's commuter rail system:
- Middle East conflict
QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jul 11, 2006 -> 09:54 AM) If that were true, they wouldn't have needed to erect a dozens of mile long "Berlin Wall" type structure along its border. If anything the Israeli example showed that this method doesn't stop terrorism at all. Actually I would argue that it has prevented much more brutal wars and invasions from happening. I won't argue that is a perfect system, but what is when you have sworn enemies committed to your destruction on all sides? People are afraid of Israel and for good reason.- Bullpen has fewest innings pitched in AL
QUOTE(tealeafreaderii @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 10:58 PM) the only guy that might not be getting enough innings is BMac... and I guess polite... McCarthy needs much more regular work than he is getting.- 2006 White Sox Catch-All Thread
QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 03:58 PM) I'm with you there. Keeping score never held my interest. I will keep score for my geek friends when they need a bathroom break (southsider and wilkins - LMAO). But I don't keep score for me. :finger Someone has to keep tradition alive. I was honestly shocked to find out this year that I was one of three people on my softball team that could keep score (there is one guy older than me, and the rest are younger).- Middle East conflict
QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jul 11, 2006 -> 08:48 AM) SS, You are completely and totally right. Strapping a bomb to yourself is never the answer. Lobbing missiles is never the answer either. However, I just find destroying what little infrastructure that Gaza has in retaliation for the kidnapping of one person to be less than helpful. Don't take it the wrong way, I don't think it is helpful at all. But going by Israels 60 year history, it is to be expected. I guess its just Israel being Israel In all seriousness, their overreactions are part of the reason I belive that Israel still exsists today. Think about it, if they just ignored the problem and tried to find the solider as quietly as possible, like the US, it would send the message to their enemies that they could get away with it. I think the fear of a huge retailliation to some extent prevents lots more attacks because they fear the brutal retribution.- Seven explosions hit Bombay's commuter rail system:
Breaking story, more info to follow...- Anyone wanna be BMacs friend?
QUOTE(illinilaw08 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 11:58 AM) I was wearing my BMac jersey Saturday at the game as well... I don't know why Brandon's mom didnt see me at the top of section 531. Probably because their seats were in the 100 level...- Middle East conflict
QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 01:22 PM) I fail to see where cutting off power and water to 600,000 people is ever an acceptable response to the kidnapping of a 19 year old soldier. If this had been a North Korean, Iranian or Venezuelan reaction to a hostile action, a lot of Israeli defenders would be calling for their heads. Just saying is all. This action is inexcusable. -I fail to see where lobbing missles indiscrimently is ever an acceptable reaction to a wall being built. -I fail to see where strapping a bomb to oneself and detonating it in the most public place possible is an acceptable reaction to much of anything. This could go both ways for a long time... QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 01:47 PM) Our response to the Israeli Palestinian situation is pathetic; Israel's reaction to Palestinians is pathetic; Palestine's reaction to Israel is pathetic. I agree 100%. I just wonder why only Israel gets called for their actions. When was the last time a proposal was brought before the UN to condem Palestinian actions? I thought we were supposed to stop being the world's police force anyway? Plus I would like to see a source where you got your quote from at the end.- Middle East conflict
QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jul 9, 2006 -> 01:27 PM) There is nothing that justifies cutting off 600,000 civilians from power and water. The power station was one of the biggest parts of the private Gazan economy. There are many gazans who have nothing to do with Hamas. Who have nothing to do with terrorism. They just want to make a living, and can't. The problem is that Israel has never put up with ANY of the citizens being murdered or kidnapped, so when Palestians do something along those lines they know full well that there will be retaliation. Its kind of like kicking a sleeping pitbull, and then suing when it attacks you afterwards. I know its not that simple, but the organizations that decide to kidnap and kills Israelis don't seem to care that it is their direct actions that lead to the deaths of their fellow Muslims. How much credit falls on their own shoulders because of their actions? QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jul 9, 2006 -> 02:36 PM) The wall being built has stopped lots of farmers from getting to their crops (having to get 'permits' which essentially mean "Do the IDF guys working that day really want to let you through today?", not to mention the times where the security just forces them to go through bureaucratic work for laughs) so it is quite difficult to "shut up and do something to help [their] situation". Not to mention apartment buildings get shot with missiles, buildings/bridges/public works projects get toppled (collateral damage) -- it is difficult to do anything. There's something to be said for raising one's self up by their bootstraps but it is difficult to do when they have no bootstraps to speak of. And some good informational reading: http://www.btselem.org/English/index.asp It's an Israeli run human rights organization detailing what's actually going on. A lot of Israeli lives have been saved by making it nearly impossible for suicide bombers to invade and kill within Israel as well. When the organizations charter running the Palestians territories has it within their charter to destroy and conjour Israel, there aren't many easy solutions to saving your own citizens.- Elecciones 2006
QUOTE(mr_genius @ Jul 8, 2006 -> 08:29 PM) whatever, dude Well at least you used "dude" correctly, its a start I guess.- Bullpen Level of Trust
Yesterday's preformance by the pen was nothing short of spectacular. 13 IP 2 ER, and both ER were given up by Jenks in his third inning of work. Imparticular, where the hell did Cliff Politte find that change up? That pitch had some incredible movement on it, and if he can throw it for strikes like yesterday, it doesn't matter if his FB is 91 or 96, he is going to be really hard to hit. All of the sudden, I actually want to see more of Cliff, if he is does indeed have that pitch now. - Middle East conflict