Everything posted by southsider2k5
-
Middle East conflict
QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 12:00 PM) The rhetoric has stepped up from Iran's president Iran pledges support to Syria More on Satan, I mean the Iranian president Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad told Syrian President Bashar al-Assad in a telephone call that there would be a "fierce response" to any Israeli attack on Syria. Well so far there hasn't been any attacks out of the Golan Heights region, so I wouldn't expect there to be any response towards Syria. Israel hadn't even thought about Lebanon until Hezbollah invaded and kidnapped Israeli soldiers. Until then the Israeli response had been contained to Palestian territories where they were the orginal kidnapped soldier was supposed to be.
-
Garcia/Vazquez for Tom Gordon being discussed
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writ...coop/index.html
-
Middle East conflict
QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 07:29 AM) I understand the many points made against my previous post. Frankly, I don't think it has much credibility either. I was kinda just posting it cause I think it made some logical sense.... Basically I am surprised as the large scope of Israel's military action. There has obviously been large/suicide attacks against Isreal before... And, its been no secret that lebanese, syrians, and iranians have supported those attacks in some way. WHILE I HAVE NOTHING TO BACK THIS UP IN ANYWAY, i do find the timing of the decision to blockade Beirut and destroy its airport unusual in light of the fact that Israel has never take such decisive steps before when faced with terrorism supported by regional foes. Edit: As a note, I'm inclined to believe that Nuke's theory, the one being perpetuated by the administration and media, is probably more accurate.... Well to be fair there is also a large difference between terrorist attacks, and some crappy rocket fire from the Palestian territories, and an invasion from another country. To be honest, I feel that Israel always has erred on the side of overreaction versus underreaction, and that is another reason that some of this has the feel of being coordinated vs just random in my eyes.
-
Ken Lay = Jesus Christ?
QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 11:17 AM) He was a monster, and I'm glad he's dead. I was surprised that Bush didn't go to his lover's funeral, while his dad did. I'd expect W. to appreciate the man who funnelled money up his bum for most of his adult life. I guess he could have just deserted him like John Kerry and Bill Clinton when the heat got to hot in the kitchen, but hey, that's just me I guess.
-
Middle East conflict
QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 10:49 PM) Actually I think the reverse is true. Iran is developing nukes.......the U.S. is lining up support to severely punish Iran. Iran gets their puppets ( Hezbollah and Hamas ) to stir up the pot and attack Isreal. Isreal responds and the world attention re-focuses on the Isreal Palestine conflict and away from Irans nukes. That's Iran's goal anyhow but it's pretty obvious to all the players here that Iran and Syria are calling the shots in this latest dustup. What's really sad in this whole affair is the complete and utter ineptness of the U.N. They just dither around and try to condemn Isreal of all people while Iran and Syria ( Who I believe are the masterminds of this war ) continue to throw gas on the fire. I believe that sometime in the near future we'll be at war with Iran and Syria with Isreal on our side. It will be ugly, it will be bloody but I think it's necessary to finally clean out the cesspool of Islamo-fascism that is those 2 countries. Judging by the religious leanings of Iran's President I think you are probably on a better path here, except I think the purpose here would be to attempt to justify Iran's need for nuclear weapons (what a better time to announce that they have them, but when Israel is attacking people "for no reason") to defend themselves, and at the sametime protect their Islamic bretheran.
-
Soxtalk
QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 03:49 PM) June 24, 2007...hope you guys are good too! I'll be OK as long as my invitiation doesn't get lost like my email
-
Reds/Nationals trade
Congratulations to the NL Central champion St Loius Cardinals...
-
Middle East conflict
This is from a drudge link so take it FWIW, but supposedly the soliders might be sent to Iran. http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid...icle%2FShowFull
-
High gas prices.
QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 12:47 PM) Is gas supposed to go up again? It's been at 3.25 for a little over a week now by me - weird that a week has gone by and not another increase. If this is more than a one day blip, you will be paying $3.50 by August 1st.
-
High gas prices.
Yeah for new record highs!
-
Middle East conflict
QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 10:34 AM) The LAT ran with some interesting details on the actual attack that led to the capture of the 2 soliders this morning. Multiple ambushes aimed at the Israelis. This took some serious planning on their part. So they invaded Israel attacked, killed, and kidnapped soldiers, all while bombing northern Israel? Sounds to me like it is war already. You are right, this wasn't a couple of guy lobbing some missles or taking advantage of a random encounter, this was a preplanned, preemptive strike by Hezbollah.
-
Is this the year that the Sox have a 50 homerun hitter?
I really hope so... I just want to see one of these guys on top of our record books.
-
Rowand coming back???
QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 10:02 AM) No I'm not saying that some kid on a message board knows more than them. (I'm 25, by the way) I am saying that Kenny Williams has been wrong before in regards to talent evaluation, which is something people like yourself conveniently ignore when you assure the rest of us that Brian Anderson will pan out, because, gosh darn it, Kenny says he will. When Kenny Williams moves a fan favorite and a top prospect to open up a postion for a rookie, that tells me everything I need to know right there. You tell me the last time that Kenny did something like that? I know Kenny isn't perfect, but the entire organization has thrown themselves behind this kid, when history dictates if they aren't impressed with someone they either leave town, or get thrown under the bus. There has to be a reason for it, and when it comes to talent evaluation skills, I am going to err on the side of the guys with the World Series rings on their fingers.
-
Can the Sox benefit from the AL win?
QUOTE(mreye @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 09:08 AM) Really? I've never heard that. Freakin' pols! You and I both deal with that everyday working in IL and living in IN we have to file both returns. Its the same idea except spread out over every city(and state) in MLB. When you play a game in a city, you are considered to be "working" in that state during that time, and they want their cut, just like everyone else.
-
Frank Thomas Suing Doctors
QUOTE(SoxFan76 @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 09:34 AM) Agree. Unfortunately I can see this story being spun to make Frank look like the bad guy like always. There isn't much to spin here if the Sox doctors screwed up. The only alternative is Frank is lying through his teeth, and I just don't see that happening.
-
80's Video's
QUOTE(mreye @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 09:18 AM) Stop it! "Oh Sherry" was one of the first ones I watched...dick! For the love of God DELETE THAT POST
-
Minor League All-Star Game
QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 07:30 PM) Fields showed decent strike zone judgment and pretty good patience, but lacked contact skills. He barely got a piece of a couple fouls and looked awful on the whiffs. His swing is enormous. It's Joe Borchard+ haha. Watching that swing ought to derail most of the Josh Fields LF starter in 07 bandwagon. This is going to be at least another year of watching a guy incrementally shorten his swing to hit major league pitching, and insessant b****ing from the instant gratification crowd.
-
No North Korea thread???
QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 12:13 AM) Well then why not just take it out before it has that chance? You think North Korea would invade the South over one missile being blown to s***. I'm just parroting those Clinton-era Democrats that were and are urging action by the way. Action would be nice... except the UN is dragging its feet as usual. Apparently shooting missles towards other nations doesn't really matter. Hmm maybe we should have used the same logic to excuse Iraq And what I was referring to is that it would be more embarassing for a NK missle to blow up in SK while they were "testing" than for the US to try to shoot down a missle and miss.
-
Happy Birthday Evil Jester
To an excellent poster, happy birthday!
-
Rowand coming back???
QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 10:54 PM) I understand all that. And, as I said, I'm willing to acknowledge that Brian might become a decent player. I hope he does. On the other hand, there are hundreds of young players over the years with the same attributes that you pin on Brian who never panned out. Why can't the Anderson fans on this site at least admit this possibility exists with Brian? Who's being thick-headed, me or them? Hmm.... Look, I am not sure when Brian Anderson kicked your pregnant sister, but people get way too caught up in the moment when evaluating what a kid is going to do in the future as a major leaguer. Its funny that you keep saying that Hawk is telling us what to think here, but think about this for just a second. -Kenny Williams traded Brians main minor league competition for the starting centerfield job, in Chris Young. He also traded away the starting CF at the major league level to open up a spot for Anderson in Aaron Rowand. -Ozzie Guillen has said on many occasions that Anderson is his starting CF, and that the team is better with him, than anyone else on this team in CF. Guillen has stood by Anderson repeatedly, with an emphasis that he has never cost him a game with his play, and how this is his guy in CF. Remember Ozzie isn't exactly shy about throwing people under the bus when he wants to do so. So are you going to tell me that Ozzie Guillen and Kenny Williams have no idea what they are talking about, and some kid on a message board knows more about talent evaluation and projection than they do?
-
No North Korea thread???
QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 08:11 PM) Wouldn't a miss be a major embarassment? Not as much as a hit on Japan, SK, China, the US etc...
-
Implications of Huff trade on market
Talk about a year too late for Tampa...
-
Indiana = Most Terror Targeted state in the Union
QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 03:33 PM) I don't take anything in Indiana seriously. I think you would take $5 a gallon gas seriously, but that is just MHO.
-
Indiana = Most Terror Targeted state in the Union
QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 12:39 PM) Don't forget its also home of the Gary Steelheads Baseball team. And the William Jefferson Clinton Memorial Bandshell at Washington Park
-
Rowand coming back???
QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 12, 2006 -> 12:28 PM) Isn't that the normal response when your spouse wont shut up while you're trying to watch the game... Jim had that thought once, and then he went and cowered in the corner in a cold sweat for a couple of hours just for having that thought, and the fear of what would happen afterwards...