Everything posted by southsider2k5
-
take it easy on ozzie
QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 05:46 PM) And of course, that's what I meant. I don't think anyone would have blamed Ozzie for putting in our best lefty reliever to face the best lefty hitter in the AL Central. Riiiiiiiiiiiight. No one would have gotten on here and mentioned that Neal pitched two innings the prior day and that Logan got Hafner to GIDP on opening day and ripped Ozzie for using Cotts despite those facts. That is laughable.
-
Sox beat Cubs
http://chicago.about.com/od/sportsrecreati...040506_cubs.htm Wow.
-
Soprano's Sunday...
OK, we have gotten away from the predictions part of the thread, so lets give that a whack again... Who will be the biggest character to bite the dust this year?
-
The Gospel of Judas. . .
QUOTE(vandy125 @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 09:08 AM) This is a very interesting discovery to me. I wonder how long before they put a translation of the text out. Hopefully, it will get people to think about the NT canon and how it was formed. Whether they agree or disagree with it, I like seeing the discussion and the thoughts. I think that kind of stuff is always fun to learn more about. Maybe the document will make it out to Chicago like the Dead Sea scrolls did a few years back. I thought those were pretty amazing too. That was one exhibit I was truely sad I missed when it was here. I love biblical history, and for this reason and that, never made it up there to see them. Hopefully they come back someday.
-
The Gospel of Judas. . .
QUOTE(Heads22 @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 08:11 AM) Wait, I thought JUGGS said we didn't allow a religous POV here? Quiet you idiot, this is all a part of the grand conspiracy to draw out Christians then ban them all!
-
4/6 Games
QUOTE(JimH @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 06:46 PM) Wait a minute, I thought SoxTalk told me Redding sucks and Sweeney is great? This is Soxtalk... all that matters is this pitch, this AB, and this game.
-
Ryan Sweeney to play CF; Corwin Malone to start
Its a good move at least for now. I think they want to cover their bases just in case with Anderson and Pods having some question marks, at least for now.
-
The Gospel of Judas. . .
Story of the movement of the manuscript after its discovery. Damn, I can't wait for the manuscript to come out in book form. Also is a bummer I don't have the NGM channel to watch the special about this Sunday nite. http://www7.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/gospel/feature.html
-
Soxtalk Subtleties
QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 07:10 AM) That's because YAS was so upset when he found out the ship sank in Titanic The ship SANK?!?!? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
-
I Am A Steroid
I have defended you before, but this time you deserve calling out R&W. When you post something that you know is going to piss off 99% of people and elicit deep reactions based on prior conversations, you pretty much deserve whatever you get here. To be honest your actions here are very much equivilent of the people who you complained about turning completely unrelated arguements into Red Sox arguements. By going back and finding something you knew was inflamatory to bring up out of no where, you are now employing the same techniques as the people who get under your skin, congratulations. I am sure it won't take long at all for this to deteriorate and turn into another pissing contest for one of us here to clean up or close.
-
Ready for $3 gas again?
QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 02:23 AM) Last I checked environmentalist were preventing us from building more refineries. That and the NIMBY crowd...
-
Wage Talk
QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 05:49 PM) Rex, is it true in the radio business that the top 5% of broadcasters make 95% of the money? I had to have some of my friends talk some sense into me when I was upset for not getting the money I was looking for while job hunting, and I am really glad I went to college for a quality education. I can't imagine how hard it must be to try and live off of $18000-$25000 a year. I am sure it is... At the end of college I got offered 5 different jobs in radio and all of them paid about minimum wage. I would have had to work for years to be able to earn any kind of a living.
-
Soxtalk Subtleties
QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 03:16 PM) Interestingly enough, you can still talk about putting your finger in a dyke (sic) and nobody bats an eye. . . But what about mreye?
-
The Gospel of Judas. . .
QUOTE(Soxy @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 03:08 PM) lol, anytime you want to have a religious wack-o thread I'm in. Heresy is my specialty. Nice to know I'll remember that next time I across something interesting
-
The Gospel of Judas. . .
I hear you! Its hard to find people to have these kind of discussions with. If you are with a group of Christians it hard not to come off as a complete conspiratalist nutjob, and if you talk to secular people, they don't want to talk about biblical concepts, let alone something that far out of the mainstream. Thanks for getting me thinking today
-
The Gospel of Judas. . .
QUOTE(Soxy @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 02:53 PM) I think the degree of "aloneness" at the time of his death really depends on which Gospel you're reading. In John Jesus is quite triumphant. In Gethsemene he even scoffs while praying, "Should I ask for this cup to be removed?" Which, I think, shows some cross-talk between the gospels and John's author taking a pot-shot at the others, saying that Jesus would never be defeated even at the crucifixtion. I think it's Mark, though, (maybe Matthew too), where Jesus' last words are "My God, my God why have you forsaken me?" I think it's those two gospels people usually conjure up when thinking about the crucifixtion, but John is really different in tone. Maybe it is the years of Lutheran School upbringing that focused on the more bitter and acrid crucifiction march that colored my view of those events... Very interesting points though.
-
The Gospel of Judas. . .
I have not read that... The one thing I did hear that I can't place right now is one of the lost gospels also speaks about the fates of those in hell. Some to the effect of the exsistance of hell kind of puts a kink in the whole eternal forgiveness thing, and in the ultimate act of forgiveness, someone in heaven asks for the forgiveness of the damned and receives it, proving God's complete Mercy. I wish I could remember where it was from, but I was watching the History Channel show about Hell when I heard it. I was half paying attention and totally missed where it came from, but the concept really awestruck me for a while... to be honest it has been something I have been thinking about ever since I heard it, to try to figure how it fits in for me personally, and if it even makes complete sense. My point is that a concept like that would allow for the forgiveness of a guy like Judas. Also without having the Judas story in front of me, we don't know that he could very well have prayed for forgiveness after the betrayal, and by all accounts he would have received it. Judas could very well be at the right hand of the Father for all we know, because I don't remember seeing anywhere what the rest of his life held for him, and what his actions and beliefs were like after the betrayal.
-
The Gospel of Judas. . .
QUOTE(Soxy @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 02:33 PM) NYT article, registration required, but worth it. Very interesting. Although I don't know about Judas as a willing and eagar particpant in the betrayal of Jesus, because if that is the case, it really isn't much of a betrayal, but more of a well laid plan. To me that really underminds a key idea that Jesus was abandonded and alone at the end, which this would be saying that the apostle/s were willing participants. I think if this Gospel truely comes from Judas or someone sympathic to him, it would stand to reason that they would soften his role, or even make it more noble here. To me it doesn't fit in the big picture of the crucifiction.
-
The Gospel of Judas. . .
QUOTE(Soxy @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 02:03 PM) I read an article in Vanity Fair last year (or maybe 2 years ago), shortly before Pope John Paul II passed that discussed his more mystical side of faith. Do you know if he did any writing on some of these gospels? I think he might have had a more inclusive (or open minded) view of the gnostic gospels than the current Pope and I would have enjoyed reading his thoughts. My bible (Oxford NRSV ed 3) has the apocrapha, and I love reading those books. I also have looked at (I think Elaine Pagel?) The Gnostic Gospels (I think that's the title). Really just intriguing stuff. I never heard he said anything about those kind of writings and even if he believed it, he would have never been allowed to let something like that out. I know he was a central figure in the remaking of Mary Magdeline, so I think really got the message of the NT more than most in the Catholic church do/did. Also the Gospel of Thomas is incredible. It really opens your eyes and makes you want to read more of the other "lost" gospels. To me Christ is a much more believable human if he acts like a human, and therefore needs forgiveness. Also I really believe no one would have listened to his message if he was unwed or didn't have any children, as that was a real sign of something being wrong with that person. Either God had cursed them, or something was wrong with them. I believe for anyone to even pay attention to his message he would have had to have had the basic credibility of marriage and children.
-
Soprano's Sunday...
QUOTE(SoxPhan7 @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 02:10 PM) after seeing how tony was when he was leaving the hospital with janice, is anyone worried that tony might be different now? Like a kinder gentler tony? Nah, he sure wasn't any nicer when it came to dealing with Pauly's problems... I doubt he will be any nicer if he gets wind of the backstabbings while he was sick.
-
The Gospel of Judas. . .
The "lost" books of the bible are facinating stuff. I can't get enough of them, and they really reenforce the central message of Jesus, which is love and forgiveness. The problem is some of the details are not exactly what the church wanted originally so they picked the stories that fit all of the key points, and they missed a lot because of it. We missed Christ's childhood, his upbringing, the lives of the people surrounding him, and I believe the fact that he had a family. I know that is controversial at best, but it doesn't make sense to me any other way.
-
Ready for $3 gas again?
QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 01:33 PM) But gas supplies are down. Driving up gas futures, right? I'm not calling for price controls or anything, but I think that the government ought to regulate a minimum for capacity maintenance that oil/gas companies have to spend per year. Actually a throw away paragraph saids it all in the middle of the story. More government regulations are most likely to blame for the decrease in supply.
-
Ready for $3 gas again?
Unless the oil companies are buying from themselves on the spec. markets, they aren't the ones driving up prices. They can control the supply to some extent, but if supplies are up across the board, it isn't them doing the deed.
-
Ready for $3 gas again?
Its $2.54 for me... just for perspectives sake.
-
Ready for $3 gas again?
To be honest, I am going to bet that we see $3.50 to $4 a gallon this summer, just because supply is short, fear is high, and nothing has actually happened yet. If we get a big supply disruption from a natural or terror disaster, or something of that ilk, it is going to get ugly. The futures are at their highest levels since Katrina.