Everything posted by southsider2k5
-
Most likely to get flamed
QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 06:27 PM) Maybe I just dont browse The Filibuster enough, but Juggs has been pretty absent for the past month or so from SL&P He must be on his meds again...
-
Favorite Character from "The Office"
Oscar just vaulted way up my list after last episode, but I think so far Jim is my favorite.
-
Family Guy episode question
Thanks for looking that up B
-
Dow takes biggest 1-day loss since Iraq invasion
QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 11:10 AM) Hey Mike, I know this is random, but...my friend said his grandpa told him gas was suposed to go over $3.00 a gallon this weekend and urged us to fill up now. Is this true? I know you follow this kind of stuff closely. This weekend is too soon, but I have no doubt if Crude doesn't come back under $60 a barrell that it will get up there by the spring. My prediction FWIW would be to see 2-3 more weeks of 10 cent increases. After that all depends on what the crude oil futures do in the next few weeks. Granted I am no expert, but that's my guess. Plus if you want to track the futures yourself, the NYMEX website has futures on everything from unleaded gasoline, to crude, to heating oil, to natural gas. http://www.nymex.com/index.aspx Let me know if you have any other questions Will.
-
Disgruntled Dems Consider Challenge to Lieberman
QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 10:53 AM) There's no problem with thinking for yourself, but to seriously consider leaving the Senate for a cabinet position that would only increase the Republican majority in the Senate because CT's governor is a Republican. When you have to worry about a Democrat increasing the Republican majority in the Senate, he's no longer just "thinking for himself," he's selling out the party. Maybe he is thinking that being a different voice in the cabinet is better for America? At least that is what we got told when Clinton did it.
-
Dow takes biggest 1-day loss since Iraq invasion
QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 09:27 PM) If I heard the news right, it wasn't that the earnings were 'bad', just that 'Wall Street Analysts' expected more. So, because they were bad guessers, they panic and sell? I also love it when the news says 'profits drop 40%', without making it clear that they STILL MADE PROFITS. Stock price is based on projected future earnings. That's why one of the key stats for determining how in line a stock price is the price to earnings ratio. Its only common sense that when the earnings were "wrong" the stock price has to be wrong as well. Also remember that this doesn't just happen on the bad side, there are also days were a stock will explode because they blew away their earnings projections. Plus Google has been overbought for so long it isn't even funny. Common sense should tell you that Google shouldn't be worth more than most of the bluechip companies on the Dow. That stock needs to be at least half of where it is now to even be considered in-line with the outrageousness that still is the tech stocks.
-
Well, I finally asked...
Congrats dude!
-
The Official Soxfest Thread
QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 05:03 PM) Perfecto; So I take it the two of you made out Yup just a typical weekend at the UofI
-
The Dynamic Duo Strike Again
QUOTE(Balance @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 04:43 PM) Well, if the story is being reported by reputable news sources, it's therefore in the news. Where, then, is the purported bias that's keeping it out of the news? It took like 5 days for that to happen.
-
Dow takes biggest 1-day loss since Iraq invasion
Like I said a couple weeks ago, its either going to be at 10,000 or 12,000 quick. With Crude prices going crazy, it looks like it may well be 10.
-
The Dynamic Duo Strike Again
QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 04:16 PM) Here's my question...if everything in this report were true...what would we expect to happen due to it? Would we expect charges to be filed? Or Hillary has to apologize? Or anything? When Hillary's campaign was facing charges for improper campaign contributions or something, it got a lot of coverage, more I think than the acquittal got even. But it actually involved a court case...something tangible the media could point to and say "a-ha there's a story here." Heck, if I wanted to count up all the things that I've thought this Administration has done which were clearly wrong and could have deserved their own investigations but have gotten almost no press coverage and died off because the Republicans control the Congress, I'd probably have a couple dozen. (The missing $10 billion from the CPA in Iraq, transferring funds from Afghanistan to Iraq without Congressional approval...blah blah blah). If this is a conspiracy involving tax evasion and obstruction of justice...where are the charges being filed? Slow down there, you are reading into this WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much. -I never said that the Clinton administration DID anything. Notice everything I said was prefaced with terms like allegedly and potentially. -I don't get what it matters what they would do about it, all I said was I thought it was important enough that it merited some serious media attention, and didn't understand why it hadn't. I don't see what potential court actions in the future have to do with what is being reported now? Are you saying that a scandal shouldn't be front page news if you can't drag someone to court immediately for it? I don't understand what you point was on any of that stuff. -How much "stuff" should it take to make headlines when the President of the USA is being accused of Obstruction of Justice again? So far everytime I have seen any accusation of President impropriety it has made headlines. Why would that be different today. Hell Nixons tapes of him blathering on at the White House were front page news 30 years later, yet this is buried on blogs and websites for days.
-
The Dynamic Duo Strike Again
QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 04:19 PM) Are you serious? You think that tax evasion is more serious than illegal domestic spying? I think the spying is worse by an order of magnitude. You're jumping in at the middle here, but I am talking about in terms of headlines. I think breaking news about tax evasion by a member of a President cabinet, accompanied by obstruction of justice by the President would make screaming headlines, but obviously I am wrong. Must be that damned right wing conspriacy keeping Bush scandals on the front page at the expense of those other news items.
-
The Dynamic Duo Strike Again
QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 04:17 PM) Because one happened seven years ago. The other is happening right now and affecting people right now. What if the Clintons have a legal argument saying what they did is just fine? Would that suddenly make it all better? So If Bush had just buried this for 7 years it shouldn't have been headline news? I would have thought potential obstruction of justice by a Presidential administration over a 7 year period would have made the story even bigger, not smaller. I would imagine that having even a flimsy legal arguement for something is better than obstructing justice, but I digress.
-
The Dynamic Duo Strike Again
QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 04:01 PM) Maybe its because the current sitting President may very well have broken the law regarding US Citizens daily life. Which has been in the headlines daily and he ADMITTED what he did, and he has a legal arguement that was he did was legal (FWIW). This is a conspiracy to hide tax evasion and obstruct justice alledgedly, in which the President led the charge. I still don't understand how that shouldnt' be just as big if not bigger?
-
Your Favorite Character From "Office Space"
Without a doubt Drew, followed by Michael Bolton.
-
Most likely to get flamed
This is without a doubt the toughest category to pick from. I will say I am surprised that Juggernaut is not getting more support for the body of his work during the season and in SLaP.
-
The Official Soxfest Thread
QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 03:26 PM) Uh.. duh... Jason will be there. Here let me help you with that post...
-
The Official Soxfest Thread
So with Willie gone to Boston, who is going to take over his role as Playa?
-
The Dynamic Duo Strike Again
QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 03:14 PM) Again, the only story I have seen about the Clinton thing is that laughably-biased op-ed piece that was posted early on. Has there been any actual, fact-based news about this whatsoever? Maybe that's why it's not headlines - it might be unfounded. If someone can provide a link to a real news article, I'd be curious to see it, BTW. I am NOT saying the Clintons aren't guilty - I've always thought Slick Willie was an unusually well-spoken used car salesman. But I've seen no actual news on this. Hit a google news search on Cisneros. It has been reported by a few different reputable groups now. I remembered seeing LA Times at the top of the list when I checked.
-
God damnit! the F***er is still alive
QUOTE(Reddy @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 03:11 PM) sooo that strengthen's my point I would call that conclusive evidence that he is alive
-
God damnit! the F***er is still alive
QUOTE(Reddy @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 02:58 PM) i just find it funny that, regardless whether he is or is not alive, we have no conclusive evidence either way. this war was started oh... 4 f***ing years ago and umm well, he's still not dead. how sad is it if the United States of America cant kill one man? and if i recall correctly, killing Osama was the number one priority in the war on terror. number one priority huh? The CIA confirmed the voice on the tape was Bin Laden.
-
The Dynamic Duo Strike Again
QUOTE(Reddy @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 02:51 PM) i dont think he was specifically responding to you as much as the story itself. The GOP says that theres such a liberal media bias, but if that were the case this story would never have come out. There wouldnt be the Limbaughs, the O'Reillys etc etc etc. Tex's point is that the media is in reality no more liberally biased than it is conservatively biased but by saying that it has a liberal bias the GOP gains more support. btw i like reading tex's posts because, unlike most of us (me included), he tends to see things for what they are as opposed to letting a zealous political view cloud his judgement. props to you. I would still hesitiate to call this story really "reported" Where would you think that alleged obstruction of justice by a President should fall on a newscast? Call me silly but I would have thought it would have been screaming headlines and leading newscasts... Has it? I sure haven't seen it. It was picked up days later by some of the newspapers and wires, but it is so far back on the headlines it isn't even funny.
-
Happy Birthday!
I'm too damned American... I don't know how to tilda on my computer!
-
Sports Phrases Used During the Sex Championships
More phrases heard from the Gager... "Shutout again!" "3 up, 3 down" "Swing and a miss" "He'll come up a bit short on that shot"
-
Sox Showed Interest in Prior
QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 12:53 PM) haha it'd be funny see Prior becoming the most dominant pitcher if he was on the White Sox and the Cubs would be even more sorrier. I know that's not going to happen but it's fun to think about. If he could stay away from the freak injury and get actually get taken care of by his manager, I could see Prior being the best pitcher on the Sox. I think pure stuffwise, the only guy that has an arm potentially as good as Priors is Contreras and he is like 10 years older than Prior.