Everything posted by southsider2k5
-
Teenage Girls thumb their nose at the Law
QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 2, 2006 -> 10:26 AM) Kudos to the judge. Heck, he gave them a chance in the first place, giving them probation. These kids deserved, and apparently needed, exactly what they got. ^^^ They got exactly what they asked for.
-
WV gov calls for mining shutdown
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/02/01/mine.close/index.html
-
Oh Frank, Please Quiet Down
QUOTE(samclemens @ Feb 2, 2006 -> 09:14 AM) exactly ^^^ I can't blame the guy for wanting to play on. When he has been playing, there really hasn't been much to say that he can't still be an effective player for someone. I have a problem with the way he handled things, that's all.
-
Stories from the front lines...teaching
QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 08:26 PM) Today we bridged from discussion about the Industrial Revolution to the conditions of many production facilities in the developing world being used by different companies. So we were talking about the similarities and differences to the factories during the IR and under what conditions is it moral for companies to leave the US and go to developing countries. The kids are bright -- but many of them are lazy and just have the "You're authority so I'm going to try to be a dick" mentality, somehow thinking that refusal to do their homework is going to hurt anybody but themselves and their own grade/future. Does it feel like you are looking in the mirror somedays?
-
A Philly-Mets fight for Contreras?
QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 07:20 PM) So if this trade went through, the Sox would still have Anderson and his .176 average, and Floyd and his 10.00 era. I know Floyd has some potential, being the 4th overall pick in his draft and all, but the guy had an ERA over 6.00 in AAA last year, and he walks the world. I hope to God this is just a rumor. Abreu is great, but if this went through, it would more than likely leave KW will no financial flexibility for this season and next, and may be the beginning of the end for Mark Buerhle in Chicago. QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 2, 2006 -> 02:09 AM) Not really several years. Abreu will earn $13 million in 2006, $15 million in 2007, and has a $16 million team option or $2 million buyout for 2008. So he would be on the Sox for either 2 or 3 years. Which means that resigning Buehrle has nothing to do with Abreu because Buehrle has his contract up after 2007... Abreu wouldn't be on the payroll then.
-
Oh Frank, Please Quiet Down
QUOTE(The Critic @ Feb 2, 2006 -> 08:03 AM) He probably wouldn't show up for it, though..... Oh he show up, and go through eveything... Then he would go back and complain that he didn't know that they were retiring his numer and he never would have participated in it if that's what it was. I mean someone could have called him to let him know...
-
Checking in on Clinton's investment fund.
QUOTE(Balance @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 11:17 AM) I'm puzzled why all there's still all these right-wing attacks against Clinton. The man's been out of office for 5 years. Maybe the best response is to revisit some of the misdeeds of the Nixon administration. It's as relevant. Did I miss his retirement from politics? Isn't he still out there getting paid to give speeches, and talk about the current state of the country? At least I thought that was our 42nd President I saw on TV...
-
State of the Union Thread
QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 05:57 PM) Enron was sad, and they are paying now. But a lot of those people had their entire savings on ONE STOCK. That's pretty darn stupid. Maybe the better approach to this is education. Part of high school economics classes should be about spending, saving and investing. Actual, practical stuff. I don't fault those people too much. Many middle and lower level employees only have enough money to choose either an ESIP program or a 401K. These guys were flat out lied to. They were being told by the company officials that this company was going to the moon, despite knowing the shell game they were playing with losses. The employees were also offered incentives for purchasing company stock, such as cheap option exercize prices and discounted stock purchases. They were used, I can hardly blame them for that.
-
blog threatens to 'out' married Senator
QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 04:37 PM) Do you remember the bathroom stalls on the second floor, near the food court, before they remodeled it? The walls and doors of each stall went all the way to the ground--it was like a closet. All I know is if anything were going to happen anywhere, it would have happened there. Just don't ask me how I know. Yeah now they have those creepy autorefill plastic sheet covered toilet seats. They just ain't right.
-
Western Union ends telegram service
http://www.livescience.com/technology/0601...tern_union.html
-
blog threatens to 'out' married Senator
QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 04:27 PM) Wait, so supposed sexual relations between two men happened within Union Station? Last time I ride the Metra there. Either that or checking out the stalls more often
-
Secular vs. Religious Police
The church tried handling it for like 50 years and we see where that got us. I have said it before, I think anytime that the upper elcelons of the church knowingly move around a molesting priest without informing the proper authorities they should be held liable, and as such charged as a criminal conspiracy. They also should lose their not-for-profit tax emption as such.
-
Link of the Day
QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 03:36 PM) Same here, although I'll readily admit I usually laugh a lot more at Family Guy. (You shot me in both knees and set me on fire.) ^ Ditto after family guy I usually turn on the playstation.
-
Cartoons spark internatial crisis
The first link in is the story, the second link is to a blog that has the offending images. http://www.brusselsjournal.com/node/382 http://sabbah.biz/mt/archives/2006/01/11/freedom-of-racism/
-
Cuban WBC Baseball Team Defections
QUOTE(vandy125 @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 10:20 AM) You would have to think that Cuba would have already thought about their players trying to do this. I would guess that they would try to put something in place to ensure that it does not happen. What that would be, I have no idea. Cuba travels with its own security contingent whose whole purpose is to prevent these kind of things from happening.
-
Iran obtained Nuke plans on black market
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/01/31/D8FG37780.html
-
Alan Greenspans last day on the job
QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 10:25 AM) I sort of figured. Google is a bellweather, but it's earnings report alone wasn't going to cause a market panic. More would be needed (and that may be coming). All of the indicies have had a nice bounce. The NASD has pared its losses and near break even on the day. The Dow is nicely in the plus column now, by about 1/2%.
-
Cuban WBC Baseball Team Defections
Its not as simple as it sounds. Cuban players don't want to defect the the US per se. They want to become citizens of a central american country that isn't subject to the draft. If they defect directly to the US and try to become citizens here then they are subject to the ML draft and lose their free agent bargaining power. Players aren't nearly as likely to defect here, as to say the Dominican Republic.
-
blog threatens to 'out' married Senator
Is this what politics has come to? Stop the world I want to get off.
-
Alan Greenspans last day on the job
QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 1, 2006 -> 09:29 AM) I don't know if Google's volatility will really push the markets that profoundly. I guess we'll find out shortly. Well after the opening the NASD is down and the Dow is up. Google recovered from being at $350 after the suspension was lifted to be at just under $390 now.
-
Judge Samuel Alito's confirmation hearing
QUOTE(kevin57 @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 04:16 PM) Although I'm not a Dem, let me take a shot at why Byrd is voting FOR Alito. He's up for election in a state that is trending more and more conservative. He's stayed in office so long because he can bring home the pork very effectively...but even that, after a while, is not enough. He's starting to hear footsteps behind him. Steps from the Grimm Reaper
-
Google being challenged on news previews...
I wonder how that could affect people who post exerpts from articles on here? http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle....OGLE.xml&rpc=22
-
Coretta Scott King Dies at 78
Rest in peace.
-
Checking in on Clinton's investment fund.
http://frontpagemagazine.com/Articles/Read...le.asp?ID=21092 You will be glad to know that there were some minority owned investments made... Sean Jean clothing, owned by one Sean Combs recieved a nice investment. Also in the interest of supporting the working man and their futures, the fund has a $100 million investment set up for Aloha airlines... which of course is contingent upon them flushing the companies pension and current employee contracts.
-
Official Blackhawks Thread
QUOTE(The Critic @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 09:07 AM) Tallon has been trading guys steadily all season, so it's not so much a fire sale as an ongoing auction. Besides, you won't get much for your "stars" when they're all injured. The top 4 paid players on the team are all out with long term injuries and are tying up nearly 1/3rd of the payroll.