Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Dick Allen

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Dick Allen

  1. Dempster on the DL. That should make KW a player.
  2. QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 07:17 PM) De Aza and Rios looked like they were on a collision course. Can't wait to see Soriano in the outfield tonight. LaHair in RF should be interesting.
  3. QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 07:10 PM) Wow, it doesn't even look like we have 30K there. If you wanted to sit downstairs, it was minimum $85 plus fees for the bleachers.
  4. Hawk worries way too much about the Tribe.
  5. Hollinsworth loves the Cubs line up tonight.
  6. Melton is a nice man, but I wonder what kind of IQ he's sporting. He just said about the wind and flyballs, you're really going to have to stay after it or it may wind up in the upper deck. I'm playing the Frank Thomas drinking game, and the bottom line is I'm hammerred already.
  7. QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 03:35 PM) Why have you gone to so few? Perhaps we can get some insight in to the problem using you as an example. I think 10 games is a pretty good number on June 18th. My season ticket account partner and buddy died in an accident last season. Its the main reason I gave them up. Although we were thinking of ditching them and going the stubhub route. Going to the game with your wife isn't nearly as fun, and getting someone all the time is a pain in the ass. I've been using stubhub exclusively this year, and haven't paid season ticket face yet.
  8. QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 03:22 PM) His June OPS is .440. For perspectives sake, Morel's for this season is .420 An upgrade.
  9. QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 03:16 PM) Charlotte Knights ‏@KnightsBaseball @whitesox OF Kosuke Fukudome set to begin Major League assignment tonight at Knights Stadium. The Knights have a pretty high opinion of themselves. Someone better tell them they are a AAA affiliate.
  10. QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 03:11 PM) How many games have you been to this year? About 10, and was a season ticketholder for 22 seasons.
  11. The Sox have been offering a groupon today for patio parties for about 8 games. Reasonably priced There are zero sold so far. Considering what kind of crap people buy on groupon, that's quite a feat. There is something very bad going on with White Sox perception.
  12. QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 01:24 PM) The sad thing is if the stories about the Padres being bid at $800 million are true, that puts the Sox somewhere in the $1 to 1.25 billion range. When I saw that $800 million price the other day, I thought the same thing. The Sox may be a $1 billion + franchise. Makes you think Forbes with their 90-95% of MLB teams turn profits has to be somewhat accurate. I know its an ego thing to own a major league franchise, but these people buying also aren't going to pay that kind of money for right to lose some more.
  13. QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 01:22 PM) Walk ups may be minimal, but giving up on a pennant race would definitely decrease them. It would go down, but not that much.
  14. QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 01:16 PM) Even the crappy UD seats are still in the $75 range on stubhub for tonight. To those people selling, good luck with that. Supposedly the dynamic pricing takes the asking price on Stubhub into consideration. $85 for the bleachers on ticketmaster.
  15. QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 01:15 PM) Why the f*** would you waste your limited resources for Bard? Jones, Crain & Reed are pretty solid as far as RH relievers go. He has obviously proven he's not much of a starter. KW has loved Bard for a while. He's been untouchable. He's still fairly priced contractually. Its been said the Sox are looking for a reliever. Maybe its Youkilis, maybe its Bard, maybe its someone else they are discussing. I'm speculating Bard because KW rarely takes his eyes off his targets no matter how long he's been eyeing them.
  16. QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 01:10 PM) The only way I would spend $100+ dollars (assuming I was actually in America or Chicago) is if Sale or Peavy or Quintana was starting. At this point in time, I'd just have ZERO interest in seeing Humber or Floyd struggle out there. Zach Stewart, I'd be even less inclined. I'm less picky when it comes to pitching match ups, but $100 for a regular season baseball game vs. one of the worst teams in the league is crazy. Premium lower boxes are $125 plus fees to sit in row 37.
  17. QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 12:23 PM) I will continue to reiterate that I would not make a deal to add a starter. The Sox have 6 guys capable of pitching (if you include Quintana and he should be included in this mix for the time being). If the Sox want to make an upgrade, add a veteran reliever (although I'm fine with the pen as is) or pick up a 3rd baseman. That is all I would do. Otherwise let the young players develop and see if the Sox can somehow get there magic back and win the division. Maybe it will happen. It was mentioned today that Boston has scouted the Sox the last 4 days. I wonder if KW wants Bard.
  18. QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 01:03 PM) If you did that, attendance would take an even bigger hit. Not really. Most tickets are already sold. Their walk ups are next to nothing. Believe me, there is going to be questioning tonight when there are plenty of empty seats. They will fail to mention its at least $85 to sit downstairs and about $50 for the worst seats in the house. My couch, 46 inch Samsung, and a/c are looking really good tonight, although I'll go if I find something reasonable.
  19. QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 12:46 PM) But then you start playing this game, then Ramirez and Danks might be contracts in the same boat. So where do you stop? Then you trade Thornton and Floyd and maybe Crain, then what's the point of having AJ and Konerko around any longer? That's the flaw in this whole "band aid" approach, as soon as things are looking good, another two more holes in the dike will pop up and there won't be enough money/attendance/minor league depth to make a big enough move. The only way we can increase revenues is actually the bump from the attendance the year after a deep playoff run. Otherwise, the fans will just sit back on their hands and knees and wait until something is proven to them conclusively. If someone took Peavy, Dunn and Rios right now, it would theoretically free up over $81 million the next 3.5 years. I think you could find a centerpiece that could excite the fanbase.
  20. QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 12:36 PM) Here's the problem, when we do trade our prime players like Santos and Edwin Jackson, what do we have to show for it? Molina and Stewart doesn't inspire any confidence. I guess you can blame Paddy for those, but KW is ultimately accountable. Now Dick Allen and I are on opposite sides of the argument. Pretty funny stuff. In the end, it's true, we might have held on to Ramirez, Thornton and Gavin Floyd too long. What's done is done. But can anyone really have confidence that we're going to get back value or replace those salaries with anything resembling superstar caliber talent? At best, it's going to be piecing together a roster with complementary parts that gel into a team, in the face of the monster that is Verlander/Cabrera/Fielder. That's why we need Chris Sale to counter. For Viciedo to live up to expectations. But if we keep trading all these pieces because we're afraid they'll lose value, then we'll end up like the Oakland A's. And even they tried to break that trend with Cespedes. In the end, there has to be a centerpiece to build your team around. Maybe it will be Hawkins, but that's a 3-4-5 year project in all likelihood. In the meantime, we have to protect the franchise to the extent that our attendance ends up in the teen's for half a decade before we finally have another team to compete for the AL Central. Rios, Dunn and to a much lesser extent, Peavy, are not about maxing out value per se. Its about being a one time opportunity to get out of contracts that can strangle you in the future. And again, I don't think it will happen, I don't think it can happen. I'm just saying if it was an option, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
  21. QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 12:28 PM) Yeah, I still would trade Viciedo...but I want to do it because I think we can capitalize on some potential value that will not materialize down the road. I'd be hoping to increase our talent pool, not decrease it. You're essentially saying let's decrease our talent pool for the sake of the future, based entirely on finances. Now if you have a game plan for replacing these guys for less money, and you think it can be carried-out, then yes, I'd be entirely open to that. But from what I understand, you're espousing that we trade these guys for the sake of dumping salary, and not looking to replace them with much externally. It frees up a lot of money to pursue other players. I'm a one trick pony with this right now. Dump the contracts and then see what you can do with the savings. I don't know what else is available, but with that kind of money for your use, I'd imagine replacements wouldn't be that hard to obtain. The White Sox and Tigers were the teams in on Dunn when he was a free agent. The Tigers don't have room for him, the Sox would never trade him there anyway. No one else wanted to pay him what the Sox paid him in 2010. Its extremely unlikely there even is a market for him anyway, as I doubt his value has increased. He's limited defensively, although his weight loss may convince an NL team to make a run at him, but I doubt it, and how many teams are looking for DHs and have the payroll space and desire to take him on?
  22. QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 12:16 PM) Yeah, I get that...and I'm saying what the hell did you sign them for in the first place? In essence, what you're saying is the chances of them winning the World Series this year (or in the next 2-3 years even) are not great enough to warrant taking the financial risk and setting us back even further in the future. I disagree for two reasons: 1) I think any time you have a chance to win the division, you have a chance to get hot in the Postseason and win it all, and winning it all, is the main goal, after all; and 2) even if you do manage to unload these contracts, the future is not so bright even with that money off the books to make me say the risk of going for it while you have a chance is unwarranted. You simply cannot predict with any certainty the failure or success of any MLB franchise. Look at the 2010 SF Giants...I don't think anyone saw that coming...look at this year's Dodgers...last year the long-term outlook on them was fairly grim...now it is as rosy as any MLB team. You wanted the Sox to trade Viciedo. Why did they sign him in the first place? I don't think Dunn and Rios performances will match their salaries moving forward, just like you don't think or at least didn't think Viciedo was a good as advertised and wanted to max his trade value. I believe there is a good chance the Sox will be "stuck" with Dunn and Rios in the future, and will not waver with if someone will take their money, let them have them. Mine isn't so much trade value. Its being obligated to pay tens of millions of dollars to guys that aren't going to be worth tens of millions of dollars. Right now, they are earning their checks, but they haven't the majority of their Whtie Sox careers. The point is most likely mute. I really, really doubt anyone is asking about them, and I really doubt KW is throwing their names out there.
  23. QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 12:11 PM) Aren't you normally Mr. White Sox Ra-Ra? Seriously? I'm just confused. The White Sox signed Adam Dunn to a contract we all considered a steal. In the second year of said contract, he leads the Majors in home runs (on pace for a White Sox record) and leads the AL in walks. He is 5th in the AL in OPS, with teammate Paul Konerko 2nd. These two are the best 3/4 in all of baseball. Yes, Dunn was horrific last year - but his confidence is back and he's been even better than expected when signed. There is zero reason to trade Adam Dunn, and certainly no reason to waive him - not right now anyway. The White Sox have another hot streak in them, and they are a playoff team this year. They've lost some tough ones, but talk of ridding ourselves of Dunn this year for the sake of the future is, well, asinine. There are a lot of dollars owed to Dunn, that and the memory of 2011. Maybe you considered his contract a steal, I would say the majority would have thought at the very least a slight overpay. We know how bad he can be. Again, if I was convinced he would hit like he's hit this year for the rest of the season and the next 2, he wouldn't be touchable except for an overpay. I don't think that. Its my opinion.
  24. QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 11:51 AM) If someone told me back in February that the three of them would have this level of production, I think the Sox would be doing bigger cartwheels. The Sox, as an organization, want to win. They do not want to do a rebuild. If you trade any one of them, you may as well trade all of them. The whole point of acquiring them was to win the division and advance in the postseason. It hasn't worked out that way yet, and you've had to pay them all along the way...now it is working out, so we are going to trade them? To be honest, I know the vast majority of the fans do not like Alex Rios, but what we do know is that since this new coaching staff has come in, he has played well and displayed a hard work ethic and a positive attitude. Who's to say that he regresses again? Dunn, I'm willing to give him a mulligan for last year. Peavy will most likely be gone next year. At the very least, you hold on to these guys til the offseason and then trade them then (see Wells, Vernon) after you've given it a shot this year. I'm saying you get rid of them when you can, except for maybe Peavy. There's nothing to say they have a bad second half and become immovable again, if they even are moveable now.
  25. QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 11:56 AM) I think the collective at Soxtalk is over-reacting to some painfully blown games over the weekend. People need to chill, it's f***ing baseball! It's mid-way through June and the White Sox are in first. Talk of dropping Dunn or Peavy is asinine. Its not assinine, and I'm not saying it because they lost some games this weekend. Of the 3, Peavy is the last in my line because he's not owed that much in the future.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.