Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Dick Allen

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Dick Allen

  1. QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 09:45 PM) How about Alexei does something this inning for once? You would think he'd have it going by now. This far into the season and total garbage offensively is cause for concern. Not only isn't he hitting, his walk rate is at an all time low.
  2. At least Rios won't hit into a DP here.
  3. He should have crushed that pitch.
  4. QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 09:04 PM) AR drilled. I wouldn't exactly call it drilled.
  5. Adam Dunn's face looks 10 lbs. lighter.
  6. QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 08:56 PM) What's wrong with him now? I think Wanne would say, "he's got a foot, he'll be fine."
  7. QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 08:53 PM) whooa now, wasn't even thinking he was loafing. just sloooow Not yours, but there have been posts the last couple days saying he was loafing.
  8. QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 08:51 PM) If that was possible he'd be standing still What I'm getting at is he isn't loafing like some have posted the past several days. He's definitely hurting.
  9. QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 08:50 PM) Hoping that we didn't have to burn Ohman because Floyd was due up second next inning. Getting Ohman in and out of the game without any further damage is a victory.
  10. QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 08:49 PM) I like it when Paulie grounds out and when the camera pans to first with the throw, Paulie isn't even in the picture He is slow and I think he has a "lower body" injury making him even slower.
  11. I hate when Pat Quinn talks baseball, but apparently he's good luck. Don't stop now boys.
  12. Rose was no more than 80% this year. If he comes back in February or March and is 75%, the Bulls have a chance because he's going to be a lot more fresh than the rest of the league, or as Hubie Brown says, lig. Not unlike MJ when he lit up the Celtics.
  13. QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 09:39 AM) Alexei seemed like he didn't give two s***s about it...and he's from Cuba. He probably knows Ozzie well and just considered the source.
  14. Maybe the votes against Ozzie were misunderstood. Heath Bell means no disrespect. http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,3301758.story
  15. QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 07:41 PM) I could be wrong, but I don't think Rule 5 draft picks have to pass through waivers before being offered back to their original team. I don't think so either, but the fact is if any other team thought much about Doyle, if KW didn't want him, he could have traded him.
  16. QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 06:33 PM) I see Peavy hitting at least a double tonight. Peavy runs like the ankle he had messed up before KW acquired him has never healed.
  17. QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 08:48 AM) Who knew this kid would come up here and dazzle and delight Sox fans through four starts? Can he keep it up? Do we have a guy we can depend on for the next 5 years? I think yes. In Quintana I trust. I wouldn't go that far. He looks pretty good, but once some of these guys get multiple looks at him, his ERA is bound to go up. I'm hopeful he can fill the Humber role in the rotation this year and grow . Nothing too spectacular, if he becomes a solid #5 or #4 for several seasons, we should all be thrilled.
  18. QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 03:44 AM) "He's proving he can pitch up here," Ventura said. "Again, his maturity is one of those things that shows up first for us. He has great stuff, and when he does what he's doing right now, he's making a strong case for staying around." First baseman Paul Konerko, who hit three singles, echoed Ventura. "He's one of those left-handers who can really bury the ball in on righties," Konerko said. "There's not a ton of those guys out there. "He goes right after people and throws on the inside part of the plate to righties, and there were a couple of guys who were ready for it and hit it. But you know there can be a lot of ground balls to the left side and he's not a comfortable (at-bat). He's not a soft throwing left-hander. It's not like he's throwing 95 or 100 mph, either, but his ball is heavy and it's cutting in and so you really have to have, as a hitter, your ducks in a row when a guy is doing that. "It's tough to lay off. There are a lot of balls he throws inside that are right there on the edge of the strike zone. You really have to make good decisions and he just keeps pounding it in there. He has had great results. Good for him." Konerko was impressed with the confidence Quintana showed in his defense, as evidenced by the two double plays. "I knew they were a good hitting team," Quintana said. "So I was focusing on trying to be in the inside to middle of the plate. One of my biggest concentrations was giving them the cutter. I was trying to throw that cutter, especially deep in the count." If Quintana continues to pitch well, the Sox could move Philip Humber to the bullpen unless they opt for a six-man rotation — an alignment they went with for about 21/2 months last year. "I'm just doing my job," Quintana said. "When they give me the ball, I'm just going to pitch. So the other stuff, I'm not concentrating on. I know I pitch Sunday, so I'm going to concentrate on that." http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,1046891.story Wasn't it less than a month ago you thought the Sox wouldn't be able to produce a 5th starter type pitcher for years?
  19. QUOTE (balfanman @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 08:23 AM) I was under the impression that he had other minor league experience there. So does Viciedo and Carlos Lee. He'd be a very very bad 3B, couple that with the fact he hasn't hit higher than .200 in the major leagues in 5 years, I'd say it would be a last option.
  20. Theo in the Tribune. This is a MLB executive's thoughts. I think some people have to ratchet down what they think the influence of a hitting coach is on professional hitters. They don't make .220 hitters with a .600 OPS, .330 hitters with a .900 OPS. Epstein knows this, of course. He knows that if you want selective hitters you probably have to acquire them because it's almost impossible to re-train them once they have had some success with one style. Epstein acknowledged that a patient approach to hitting "is probably more of a hard-wired trait,'' and said Little League coaches can have more influence than someone like Jaramillo, whom the Cubs have been paying $800,000 a year. IMO, the Cubs realized paying 800k a year for a hitting coach is madness, Rudy was gone after this year and they knew it was a sunk cost . They want to see if this interm guy is worth keeping, so they made the move now.
  21. QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 03:06 PM) There was a column in the Trib just this Sunday stroking him for Soriano's recent tear. If you ever follow Soriano, you will see he gets ridiculously hot at times, like he is now. He'll cool off and be horrible for a while and the boo birds will be back.
  22. QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 01:16 PM) They had to keep him on the 25 man roster...the whole year...he wasnt ready for that He's 26. If you say he's not ready to be on the roster now, I don't know what you're arguing. By your own admission, he's not ready yet.
  23. QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 01:09 PM) Cubs fired hitting coach Rudy Jaramillo. I give Cubs brass credit they dumped him unlike the Sox that kept Walker 3 years too long! Rudy Jaramillo is a Soxtalk God. He was so worshipped, if the Sox couldn't pony up for him, people actually wanted whoever his "assistant" was, to take Walker's spot. As I've said all along, you are only as good as your players. Jaramillo's results weren't any better than the 2 guys before him, and the new guy won't get better results unless Theo changes the roster.
  24. QUOTE (The Gooch @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 12:08 PM) The Cubs are awful and there will be a huge lack of interest for Cubs fans to go. I wish they would have made it a weekend series, as it would probably sell out then. What's interesting is ticketmaster doesn't show the individual seats available for that series like they do for all the other games. The crowds will be bigger than normal, but I would be shocked at sellouts unless Brooks decides the Sox Save of the Week is the Cubs series.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.