Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Soxtalk.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Chicago White Sox

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Chicago White Sox

  1. It’s also not a problem when we have cheap young solutions at most other spots.
  2. Them leaking an 8/$175M offer was to get other teams to believe the Sox weren’t serious threats and to prevent other parties from doing something drastic. They definitely weren’t leaking it because they thought it was a badass offer.
  3. You’re attributing all that ticket growth to the Machado pursuits and none to actually having some exciting young players. If anyone got hosed on the Machado pursuit it was season ticket holders and then renewing wouldn’t result in an up. And for the Machado fiasco, I still think there are two factors that drove the miss and they don’t necessarily have to do with valuation. First, I think Jerry is incredibly risk adverse and was the reason we didn’t offer a hard eight years. While I can’t prove that, I think the fact that KW provided some ridiculous explanation for why we couldn’t go longer (to protect Jerry) and the fact we acquired all his buddies supports the idea that Hahn & KW were working with restrictions. Second, I think a lack of experience pursing major free agents cost us. I truly believe the Sox may have been willing to go a little further with their offer, but simply thought Manny’s camp was bluffing with San Diego. The Sox thought they had this in the bag and KW & Hahn’s reactions prove just how shocked they were. Maybe they just suck at valuation, but personally I think they just overplayed their hand and didn’t want to negotiate against themselves.
  4. I think they’re just idiots who honestly thought they were in the driver’s seat and simply overplayed their hand. I also don’t think they sold that many extra tickets from their pursuit of Manny and whatever measly money they made off it was more than offset by anger and hostility amongst the fanbase.
  5. If you actually think they “lied” to sell more tickets then your business acumen is clearly lacking.
  6. If your criteria for free agent pitching is no Tommy John’s in their past you’ve just cut the list substantially. No idea why doing that makes any sense.
  7. Strasburg & JDM combo apparently.
  8. Thanks...figured that was probably the case, but it’s really hard to motivate myself right now to sit through a vanilla standalone Star Wars film.
  9. Which is substantially better the chance of a turnover or more than the one yard we gave up when kneeling. It was a dumb decision by a coach who playing afraid.
  10. Lol...no idea how I get to that payroll? The table is a literal walk based on actual commitments, MLBtraderumor’s arbitration projections, and my own forecasted salaries for free agents. I did not include Rodon’s salary (which I mentioned in my original post on this) which would bring the payroll up ~$135M which is league average. As for the Nimmo package, I think you are undervaluing Stiever & Walker (not that they’re that studs) and overvaluing BVW’s ability as a GM. Plus the health factor is a real risk and something we’d be taking on, which would factored into any potential price. I’m definitely not guaranteeing they’d take that offer, but we’re starting to see prospects in the 100 to 200 range command more value than in years past. I think Stiever is a guy with real helium right now and Walker’s upside is still fairly high if he can stick in CF, which hasn’t been ruled out yet.
  11. Cole isn’t happening, so no need to build a hypothetical around him. But plenty of room to fill all our needs and maintain a league average payroll. I’ve posted this before, but this would be my offseason plan:
  12. No, that pitching and JDM are mutually exclusive. We should be adding a high end arm plus an impact bat, whether that be JDM or someone like Grandal.
  13. Why are these decisions mutually exclusive?
  14. Zero chance he gets that in the 2020-21 offseason even if he stays healthy next year.
  15. Oh I 100% agree, but had he said that it would have added insult to injury.
  16. Get his ass banned Ron! Losing is hard enough without his hot takes!
  17. Did he really say that?!?
  18. Burger’s injury was far more severe (hence surgery) and happened twice. If someone like Patc says that opening day is a reach because of potential rehab time then I’ll happily concede, but until I will go with what’s being reported.
  19. The Force Awakens was entertaining, but basically recycled a New Hope. The Last Jedi was an absolute abomination though and pretty much destroyed any hope for this new trilogy. It was so bad that I haven’t able to force myself to sit through Solo, which may very well be a decent movie. I did really like Rogue One though. It’s pretty sad how poorly Disney has done with this franchise (so far) while Marvel continues to thrive and actually get better.
  20. It would be disastrous given we only have four more years of control of our two best players at the moment.
  21. So basically you don’t want to add an impact starter? Because the rest of the top guys will be getting QOs with the exception of Ryu and he’s not exactly a great fit for what we’re looking for.
  22. I don’t follow at all. And not sure why he wouldn’t be ready by opening day if he’s not having surgery (baring any setbacks).
  23. While I agree we should target a two year deal, why would he not do much at all in 2020? He’s supposed to be ready by opening day.
  24. I mean he has no track record of being a legit insider and keeps throwing out rumors. Obviously this one is tougher to prove right or wrong, but it doesn’t change his history. I question that he’s really in the know.
  25. No surgery necessary, so it seems like he should be ready barring any setbacks in his rehab.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.