Everything posted by OmarComing25
-
2016 Cubs catch-all thread
This is the same guy who claimed the Cubs could trade for Trout with a handful of prospects, being called out for dumb arguments is not the same as bullying.
-
2016 Home Run Derby
QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jul 11, 2016 -> 09:06 PM) There's a lot of data to suggest players in the HRD have worse second halves than their first halves. The problem is, I have never seen comparison to how that compares to the average MLB player OR the average All-Star. http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/the-home-run-derby-myth/ https://brokenclipboard.wordpress.com/2016/...n-derby-myth-2/ http://www.fangraphs.com/community/mythbus...-derby-edition/ Not really
-
BA midseason 100
QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 8, 2016 -> 12:42 PM) Reed always made these lists too when he was in our system. I certainly wouldn't guarantee it but there's a chance Burdi will be there. Not really sure why this list is depressing as everyone knew we'd have one guy on it once TA graduated to the Majors. Yeah if anything I'm surprised Fulmer is that high. There are no surprises, so it's not really depressing.
-
Carlos Gonzalez expresses interest to be traded
QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 10:50 PM) Be precise. I said that his road OPS is about what Rios' OPS was, and simply suggested he has equal value (especially as his salary is about twice as high). Sure most players hit better at home....but most players do NOT have the split differentials Cargo has. Comparisons with Holiday are ridiculous. Holliday had road OPS >.800 in each of his last 3 years in Colorado, including .892 his last year. Cargo's are in the .750 range. And he's older than Holliday was. And his D is poor. And he's paid nearly $20 million a year. Of course I'm getting attacked. I know I'll get attacked when suggesting that trading for players at or past their prime, especially those with bad splits, won't help the team win. It doesn't matter how much evidence there is: from Dunn to Laroche to, yes, Frazier (who hasn't come close to Cincy numbers). I was beaten down for suggesting the Shark trade was lousy; and the Frazier trade. It doesn't matter that the winning organizations don't make trades like this. People want those "stars" falling as they may be. 7 non-playoff seasons in a row be damned. You're getting attacked because you're ignoring information that goes against your argument.
-
2016 Cubs catch-all thread
QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 12:36 AM) I hope the Cubs score 10 runs in the first inning tomorrow and force the Braves to burn through their bullpen. So much for that...
-
Frazier participating in HR Derby
QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 07:02 PM) 2015 Before playing home run derby/ after playing home run derby Frazier=0.922/0.644 Rizzo=0.955/0.833 Pederson=0.851/0.617 Pujols=0.855/0.707 Donaldson=0.844/1.011 bryant=0.848/0.867 machado=0.886/0.832 Fielder=0.924/0.742 https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yahoo.com/...?client=safari#
-
Carlos Gonzalez expresses interest to be traded
QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 03:23 PM) Here we go. Knew this was coming .750 OPS away from Coors field in 2016; .758 in 2015. That's Rios. Hahn set that value: Leury Garcia. (really should be less considering that Rios made 60% of Cargo's money) Paying anything more than the value of a .758 OPS earning $20 million a year is wishcasting. That's all it is. If we want a Rockie, get Blackmon http://www.purplerow.com/2014/5/15/5712224...mbers-are-lying Pretty much every hitter hits better at home than on the road anyway, so you can't just take road splits at face value. But it's particularly stark with Rockies' hitters, making their road splits even more unreliable. Also, now you're against Rios again? Make up your mind man.
-
Carlos Gonzalez expresses interest to be traded
QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 02:00 PM) I always get torn about his home/road splits. I've read breakdowns about how it can take a couple games to adjust from Coors Field to a regular elevation, so there is an even larger difference in their home/away splits. Matt Holliday was fine outside of Coors. Corey Dickerson...not so much Yeah Coors home/road splits should be taken with some grains of salt, pretty much every hitter on the Rockies has very unusual splits (even accounting for their home park hitter paradise) because of the adjustment. Plus, as pointed out, his road splits are still good (.780 OPS last three years)
-
Fangraphs Event, 7/14 7pm - beer, baseball talk, free apps
I might end up going to this. For those of us going from Soxtalk, maybe we should wear nametags with our usernames on them?
-
2016 Cubs catch-all thread
I hope the Cubs score 10 runs in the first inning tomorrow and force the Braves to burn through their bullpen.
-
AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!
I also don't get the comparisons to last year that a lot of posters are making. Last year's team spent all of one day over .500, and their one good stretch came against two bad teams, and once they started playing good competition again they wilted. We've already seen this team play well for multiple stretches, and with a couple exceptions they've played well against good competition.
-
AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!
QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 6, 2016 -> 10:37 PM) stupid unbalanced schedule. I know every team has games they wish they could get back, but if the Sox bullpen just pitches badly instead of historically awful in that one Royals series (I believe every game had at least a 90% win probability at one point) then the Sox are 5-4 against KC and just like the Tigers we'd be talking about the Indians as the only problem team.
-
AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!
Outside the ALC, the Sox only have a losing record against the Nationals and Rays.
-
7/6/16 - Yankees @ White Sox - 7:10 - WPWR
Anyway, did we really need to use Robertson with a 5-run lead?
-
7/6/16 - Yankees @ White Sox - 7:10 - WPWR
And Caulfield is right, it's just fandom in general, it's not specific to Sox fans.
-
7/6/16 - Yankees @ White Sox - 7:10 - WPWR
I can't believe this is even an argument. To say there's no difference in activity between winning and losing threads is all kinds of naive. It's plainly obvious.
-
7/6/16 - Yankees @ White Sox - 7:10 - WPWR
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 6, 2016 -> 08:23 PM) So far, so good for Gonzalez. A couple really bad starts have masked the fact that he's been really solid in 7 of his 11 starts, and that's not including tonight.
-
2016 Cubs catch-all thread
I wouldn't say there's nothing wrong. The issues are a bit exaggerated because he wasn't going to keep pitching at this historical pace forever, and even in his "bad" stretch his ERA is still in the mid-3s over the past 8 starts or so. But his velocity is down on all of his pitches, he's only throwing about 60% strikes the last two months, and he's using his best pitch less and less (cutter) because hitters have stopped chasing it. So there are a few concerns, but it's not like he's on the verge of an implosion either. I think he's feeling the effects from all those innings last year.
-
Rick Hahn
QUOTE (captain54 @ Jul 6, 2016 -> 11:52 AM) What you are saying is true, but you're still tap-dancing around the fact that stats don't tell the whole story when judging performance… Specifically , the Sox bullpen.. Look at Albers. you might look at his numbers and say, hmm not too bad.. but those numbers are skewed by a short burst of good performance.. currently, the guy can barely get anyone out.. So it's not a matter of burying one's head in the sand, it's a matter of realistically looking at performance…and my judgement of the bullpen isn't based on one game I attended.. it's based on shaky performance going all the way back to early May You can blame injuries.. that's fine.. that's a valid point.. I will contend though, that the injuries really exposed the lack of depth inherent in the organization.. Bottom line...it's really the classic glass half full/half empty.. But hey, I get the narrative.. fans that criticize the organization are irrational and rant mindlessly, don't have all the information, but yet act like they have all the answers .. miserable whiners who find any reason to complain… love when the team loses so they can flaunt it in the face of the optimists… I can see where it might be cooler to be staunch pro - Sox organization.. It gives the illusion that those of your ilk may have some inside info that we, unwashed masses aren't privy to.. It gives the illusion that you are a better fan, stick with the team thru thick and thin… The crappy Chris Rongey type of attitude, is certainly your right to adhere to… the fatal flaw is, those of your ilk have decided to jump all over anyone with a critical point of view and paint them with broad strokes as a bunch of lunatics... The bottom line is that you're accusing others of cherry picking when you're doing the exact same thing. You're also painting a pretty broad brush. Pretty much everything you're criticizing other posters for you're guilty of yourself.
-
Rick Hahn
QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 05:25 PM) While De Aza had a bad year his last year, he produced for the Sox the prior 2 years; and somehow he made it on a world series team. I omitted another Hahn giveaway - Thornton. Of course I would never trade for Rios. But he had a .749 OPS, after years of .850 and .756 and had the all-important credential of being "proven." Shall I list the names of players with similar stats that this board has pined for, oogled over? And when I have suggested offering L Garcia for said players, I get scoffed at, as if it's an insult to such high talent. Yes he had a bad contract...so do certain other parties.... Money over prospects. And, indeed, Caufield, I omitted several "million here, a million there" Hahn signings like Paulino et al. What could you do with that money...oh, maybe pay a few big international bonuses..... I don't get it, was that a defense of Rios? Sure didn't read like it. The guy was worth 0.5 WAR combined the last two seasons, he was a replacement level player who was a declining veteran, the exact type of player you're always droning on about, and yet for some reason he's the guy you're willing to completely contradict yourself for, just because it fits your anti-Sox agenda.
-
Rick Hahn
QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 03:34 PM) Players you omitted: Inherited: Tim Anderson Marcus Semien Trayce Thompson Micah Johnson Josh Phegley Several other prospects that Hahn dispatched De Aza (still playing; no value received) Rios (Playoff and WS winning team; L Garcia received) With all the ridiculous things you post all the time, the most hilarious thing is your continual defense of Rios. It also completely goes against your entire philosophy, it's a complete mystery. Being on a team that won the World Series doesn't mean that player was any good. And the fact that De Aza (-1.1 WAR this year) is still playing isn't an actual argument for anything.
-
Zach Burdi headed to Birmingham
QUOTE (reiks12 @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 11:24 AM) Looks like they aren't going the "stretch him to be a starter" route. Buehrle and Sale started out of the bullpen, this doesn't mean anything. They could start stretching him out next season.
-
Tim Anderson
That .418 BABIP will come down, though given that he ran super-high BABIPs throughout his minor-league career I think he'll be a .340-.350 BABIP guy like Austin Jackson. Still a long way to fall from where he is, but even a .270/.280/.420 line would be a big improvement from what we've had at SS recently. Currently on pace for 9 bWAR over a full 162 game season, which is obviously unsustainable, but if he keeps playing defense the way he has, takes a few more walks and can get his K-rate down to 25% then I'd be happy.
-
2016 Cubs catch-all thread
QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 10:08 AM) True, I guess I will just say I dont think Bryant deserves comparison to Schwarber in left within criticism of Maddon Yeah that criticism doesn't make sense, Bryant is a pretty good defender in the outfield, I think he ends up there long-term.
-
Tim Anderson
QUOTE (Scoots @ Jul 5, 2016 -> 08:42 AM) Too early to start talking about rookie of the year for Timmy?? Who would be up against him for the award this year if he is in the running for it at the end? Michael Fulmer is probably the frontrunner right now, followed by Nomar Mazara. Then you have guys like Tyler Naquin, Hyun Soo Kim, Max Kepler, Whit Merrifield and Dae-Ho Lee. AJ Reed just came up, but he has the ability to win it too. Anderson is already among the rookie leaders in WAR though.