7/17 Game Thread: @ Anaheim, 2:35pm, WGN

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I must've beat hordes of posters knocking down doors to start this game thread with the legendary Jacob Turner the starting pitcher for today.

I missed Sox games during the All Star break and now that they are playing again I miss them scoring runs.

I also miss the winners threads and putting the winning rock song that I think best fits that days victory.

So today I am picking the song ahead of time. It is from the Vines album entitled Winning Days (seems liked a good choice) and the song is called F.T.W. which usually means in internet speak " for the win " doesn't it ?

Anyway here is a link to the song on youtube.

. If you click on it you will see the album cover with a "parental advisory " on it. That should give you a hint of what the Vines are actually singing about but hey it's a good jam so listen to it and discover what FTW really means.

And if the Sox should happen to lose this game when they have been playing so well lately and at a place where they have had so much success , FTW could always mean f*** the White Sox .

Thank you for your anticipated participation in this game thread.

:gosox3: and FTW . :headbang :snr

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

TV today:

July 17, 2016

Chicago White Sox at Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

Stadium:  Angel Stadium of Anaheim

Announcers:  Ken Harrelson and Steve Stone

Ford White Sox Warm-Up:  2:00 PM Central / 3:00 PM Eastern *

Game telecast time:  2:30 PM Central / 3:30 PM Eastern *

6 over-the-air TV stations:

Chicago  WGN-TV,  Channel 9  (The CW)

Indianapolis WNDY-TV Marion, IN,  Channel 23  (my network TV)

Springfield, IL / Decatur / Champaign WBUI Decatur,  Channel 23  (The CW)

Rockford  WIFR Freeport,  Channel 23-3  (Justice Network)

Quad Cities WQAD-TV Moline,  Channel 8-3  (my network TV)

Cedar Rapids / Waterloo / Iowa City KCRG-TV Cedar Rapids,  Channel 9-2  (my network TV)

Not televised at South Bend and Peoria / Bloomington, IL due to scheduling conflict with ABC7 (WLS-TV) Cubs telecast.

I don't know why Turner is starting today instead of Sale since the decision on whether or not to acquire talent and make a run, or in the alternative, to sit back, try to trade veterans, shed salary and get prospects, hinges on how the Sox perform during the next 10 days or so.

Losing to the Braves twice and the Angels (at least) twice, two of the worst teams in baseball, has already set a negative tone. The only thing that will make this season worse is losing 3 or 4 to the Cubs, and that 4 game home/away series is right around the corner. If we get swept by the Cubs will that finally earn Ventura a ticket out of town?

As many others have pointed out, there was a bad game plan by our offense against a sinker ball pitcher yesterday. Then there was a failure to make any adjustments during the course of the game. That should not be surprising though since that seems to be the norm in major league baseball

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Jul 17, 2016 -> 01:26 PM)
I don't know why Turner is starting today instead of Sale since the decision on whether or not to acquire talent and make a run, or in the alternative, to sit back, try to trade veterans, shed salary and get prospects, hinges on how the Sox perform during the next 10 days or so.

Losing to the Braves twice and the Angels (at least) twice, two of the worst teams in baseball, has already set a negative tone. The only thing that will make this season worse is losing 3 or 4 to the Cubs, and that 4 game home/away series is right around the corner. If we get swept by the Cubs will that finally earn Ventura a ticket out of town?

As many others have pointed out, there was a bad game plan by our offense against a sinker ball pitcher yesterday. Then there was a failure to make any adjustments during the course of the game. That should not be surprising though since that seems to be the norm in major league baseball

When you have low talent hitters, why are you surprised that they get shut out by scrubs. The sox are like the clock that is stopped. It's only right two times a day but the rest of the time they are wrong.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Jul 17, 2016 -> 02:26 PM)

There's no reason to replace Robin Ventura before the end of the season. He has no contract then, if the White Sox fall off enough that you'd actually be compelled to make the move to do so, it'll be so late in the season that you wouldn't bother anyway as a new manager wouldn't drive a playoff run. It'd just be firing him so that he was fired rather than letting him coach out, the only reason to do it would be to express disrespect.

I really don't follow the reasoning of management not having Fulmer to start. You need a starter to fill in for Rodon and Fulmer has been starting. Put him the bullpen when Rodon is back. Bringing up Turner just doesn't make sense to me, but hopefully he does us proud

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 17, 2016 -> 02:14 PM)
Failed prospects with low K rates, ERAs approaching 5 in Charlotte? Uh, no.

Sox will knock Weaver around today.

So 25 year old former top prospects aren't what you are interested in? He is 3 weeks older than Avi.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 17, 2016 -> 01:54 PM)
I really don't follow the reasoning of management not having Fulmer to start. You need a starter to fill in for Rodon and Fulmer has been starting. Put him the bullpen when Rodon is back. Bringing up Turner just doesn't make sense to me, but hopefully he does us proud

It would be his major league debut. Could start walking the world and then your bullpen is hurting. For one game this makes some sense. Hopefully Turner has something, but chances are the Sox are going to need at least 6 to win today.