White Sox Listening on Sale

Chisoxfn

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Special K @ Jul 23, 2016 -> 10:38 PM)
I hate Rick Hahn. I will 100% become a Cubs fan if they trade Sale.

Prepared to be done with this

Organization.

It will be so liberating.

I can understand this since the biggest problem is ownership.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 24, 2016 -> 11:18 AM)
Rangers GM Jon Daniels talked about rentals today for their pitching needs. Seems they dont like the prices of the starters from us or Tampa.

They don't like the prices either in the free agent market. $15M can buy a mediocre pitcher.

Edited by kitekrazy

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Jul 24, 2016 -> 01:10 PM)
But the rationale behind moving one should lead you to moving the other. Not saying it gets done by the deadline but both should go if one is moved. If you move Q and wait til the offseason to move Sale, that's fine and dandy but at the end of the day, what the heck's the point of keeping one or the other if we're probably gonna be a dumpster fire for a couple years?

Things change fast in baseball, and maybe the Sox wouldn't be a dumpster fire for long. Let's just say you are able to get Moncada, Benindendi and Betts for Sale (maybe you add a reliever). You've immediately plugged three major league holes and could compete as soon as 2018, with Quintana.

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Jul 24, 2016 -> 01:41 PM)
I look forward to my morning drives listening to Mully and Hanley this week. Cubs fans will be calling day and night asking why the White Sox won't trade Sale for Soler and/or Baez. Always entertaining.

Solution. Turn that s*** off.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 24, 2016 -> 01:34 PM)
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/here-are...ris-sale-trade/

This was also a great argument for not trading Sale. It's the best contract of value in baseball. I'd wait another year. If he wins 20 without Robin messing it up the value could be even higher.

His value will never be higher than it is right now. He's already proven himself as one of the best starters in baseball and another great season doesn't add anything. However, his value will start to dip as team control over him decreases. The time to deal him is now or in the offseason, there is no point in waiting another year or so and risk an injury.

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Jul 24, 2016 -> 12:49 PM)
I don't get why we would deal one and not the other. Wouldn't moving both make more sense?

Because then the team will not have a World Series shot for 5-7 years with no proven top of the rotation pitcher.

they need to keep one.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jul 24, 2016 -> 12:54 PM)
Agreed. DD will get his guy. Whether it's Q or Sale. Moncada has to be in either deal.

I believe, he was quoted as moncada will not be included in any deal.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 24, 2016 -> 01:34 PM)
I believe, he was quoted as moncada will not be included in any deal.

Of course he'll say that. I'm sure he'll try but the Sox will get him. They dont HAVE to move either SPs. It's all a game of cat 'n mouse and smoke 'n mirrors game.

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 24, 2016 -> 02:32 PM)
Because then the team will not have a World Series shot for 5-7 years with no proven top of the rotation pitcher.

they need to keep one.

:o

Um.... so what happens in 3 years when they're still nowhere near a world series and won't give either $25+ million a year?

No offense dude but that sounds like Kenny Williams.

Edited by bschmaranz

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jul 24, 2016 -> 01:43 PM)
Things change fast in baseball, and maybe the Sox wouldn't be a dumpster fire for long. Let's just say you are able to get Moncada, Benindendi and Betts for Sale (maybe you add a reliever). You've immediately plugged three major league holes and could compete as soon as 2018, with Quintana.

The Red Sox aren't giving up Betts in a package for Sale, it's simply not happening now or in the offseason. Maybe they'd consider it in a one for one deal, but then what is the point for us? Moncada, Benintendi, & Devers are the guys we should be targeting. Those are three elite position playing prospects, with the first two being nearly major league ready. I'd want a couple more young pitchers in the deal, such as Kopech, Rodriguez, or Owens. Get me a package like that, and I could care less about getting one of the B's back. That's an absolute haul and one you'd be crazy to pass up if you're the Sox.

QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Jul 24, 2016 -> 02:51 PM)
:o

Um.... so what happens in 3 years when they're still nowhere near a world series and won't give either $25+ million a year?

No offense dude but that sounds like Kenny Williams.

There's no answer for this. Both Q and Sale are likely gone at the end of their contract.

And no, Sale's value can never be higher. His years of control add more value than another good season would add.

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jul 24, 2016 -> 01:56 PM)
There's no answer for this. Both Q and Sale are likely gone at the end of their contract.

And no, Sale's value can never be higher. His years of control add more value than another good season would add.

That's why he'll be dealt in the offseason IMO.

I agree with Ptac that they won't give up Betts. Nor would I. But the sox can try and there's nothing wrong with that. With Sale's value, it'll be an offseason trade because some team may give up a younger core player along with 3-4 top prospects.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 24, 2016 -> 02:32 PM)

they need to keep one.

Why can't we draft, trade, or sign one eventually? If we have top 5 picks for a few years, we'll have a great chance at landing one. And if you deal Sale and Quintana, you're probably targeting a potential TOR starter in one of the deals. Plus we have Rodon and Alec Hansen (wild card) with ace potential already in the system.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 24, 2016 -> 03:01 PM)
Why can't we draft, trade, or sign one eventually? If we have top 5 picks for a few years, we'll have a great chance at landing one. And if you deal Sale and Quintana, you're probably targeting a potential TOR starter in one of the deals. Plus we have Rodon and Alec Hansen (wild card) with ace potential already in the system.

Wait, weren't you just saying that we had no chance of adding talent around this team now, why would this only work if you trade away your best players?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 24, 2016 -> 03:03 PM)
Wait, weren't you just saying that we had no chance of adding talent around this team now, why would this only work if you trade away your best players?

WTF? Patc just said we wouldn't be able to win for 5-7 years if we don't keep one of Sale or Quintana because we wouldn't have an ace. I'm saying that one specific need can be filled over the next several seasons by blowing it up. That doesn't change the fact we can't fill numerous needs over the next two or three years before Sale leaves us via free agency if we hold onto our pitching assets. Not sure what you're getting at here...

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Jul 24, 2016 -> 02:35 PM)
It's just one game but today Moncada & Benintendi combined for 0-9.

Moncada was 0-5 with 5K's. Faced a 29y old journey man with a 4.01 lifetime era in the minors. One game but nothing is guaranteed!

Well duh lol. I still want their top prospects.