2017 MLB DRAFT

Boopa1219

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 04:43 PM)
You missed the key "good pitcher AND hitter"

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 04:52 PM)
I get what he's saying. If you're a good hitter and good pitcher, your average is likely higher. Example: 2.50 era and .300 batting avg.

I thought the reason it was noteworthy is because batting average can't go above 1 while ERA can. So a .300 batting average is equivalent to a 0.30 ERA, not a 3.00 ERA.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 08:09 PM)
I thought the reason it was noteworthy is because batting average can't go above 1 while ERA can. So a .300 batting average is equivalent to a 0.30 ERA, not a 3.00 ERA.

Ding ding ding.

Ah I get what you're saying. I didn't really look at it that way since, as you said l, can't go over 1.000 in regards to batting avg. But just looking at the 3 numbers ignoring the decimal I guess. 255 era 300 avg.

Oh, yes, this is correct. We should abolish decimals.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 10:28 AM)
Chance the Sox try to pickup Bryce Montes de Oca this year?

He has turned the corner, but isn't he at 2 TJs now? He may as well stay until a senior.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 10:46 AM)
He has turned the corner, but isn't he at 2 TJs now? He may as well stay until a senior.

Had an injury, but no surgery to my knowledge. I'll ask the sports desk next week.

We just know the Sox love re-drafting guys

QUOTE (daggins @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 02:24 PM)
Heard a lot of good stuff about Adell lately. Gonna watch him closely.

Blayne Enlow is a high upside high school arm with a very projectable 6'4", 180 lb frame

Scouting grades: Fastball: 60 | Curveball: 60 | Changeup: 50 | Control: 55 | Overall: 55

Projects to have two plus pitches and above average control. He's young, but the upside might be worth considering

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 11:16 AM)
Do we want Jo Adell in this scenario? SS Brady McConnell?

His tools are off the chart some are referring to him as Bo Jackson if he only played baseball.

I'm sure the white sox will take BPA and if that is an arm that falls a bit like Faedo, Lange or Houck I wouldn't be against it and with their recent success of graduating Thompson I wouldn't be against going for Adell if he is on the board at 11.

the most surprising thing about BA's latest mock is the rise of Austin Beck and the slight depression of Kendall.

Frankie Piliere‏ @FPiliereD1

Warmoth continues to back up high praise scouts had for him entering the spring

Carolina Baseball‏ @DiamondHeels

HOME RUN! @loganwarmoth just destroyed a baseball. A long solo shot to left makes it 6-4 UNC.

4m

Alan‏ @ProfessorFog

@FPiliereD1 Does he project as a 1st rounder?

Frankie Piliere‏ @FPiliereD1

@ProfessorFog I think he'll be in the mix in the second half of the first if he keeps it up, yes.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 11:16 AM)
Do we want Jo Adell in this scenario? SS Brady McConnell?

We already have that guy in Courtney Hawkins. I don't think you can risk the #11 pick in a rebuild on a guy with pitch recognition and bat to ball issues. The power is legit, but it does no one any good if he can't make enough contact to make it play.

If the board breaks that way, I think the Sox would be better off finding a guy underslot at this point and getting some more value out of their second and third picks as I believe everything from 11-20 is a tier below the tier from 5-10. Its still much to early to tell how the draft board will look three months from now as there will be a lot of kids that find helium in May while others slide down and the tiers are better defined.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 06:26 AM)
I think that Jo Adell is better than Hawkins at this stage. I could be in the minority, that 2012 class was stacked.

He might be, but I have a feeling he will be selected prior to the #11 overall pick

We should have a nice selection of players that could arguably have gone top 10