Rick Hahn open for business

Bob Sacamano

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 6, 2016 -> 09:33 PM)
I'd still contend that this team would need a miracle to pull of a successful rebuild on the first try with its lack of resources to carry it through the process. When you look at how many times it took teams like KC, Pittburgh, and company to do it, I don't see the excitement for rebuilding that others do.

So what other option do you see? You haven't rejected the statement/lesson of the last 2 seasons - that this team has no where near the talent that the other teams in this division have and are in 4th place for a reason - so where do they go next offseason when Frazier, Cabrera hit FA and they've stumbled into a 3rd/4th place finish again?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 6, 2016 -> 06:33 PM)
I think Hahn has actually tipped his hand a few times already indicating some sort of a rebuild. Here are my off-season plans in order of likelihood.

1. Modified Rebuild. Trade Sale, Robertson, and Melky for sure. Dangle Frazier as well. Sign some free agents to 1 year deals that could be spun later.

That's my vote. Don't think they can trade Robertson coming off of injury, though.

A risk of a total rebuild is that JR could get comfortable in that rebuild status.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 6, 2016 -> 07:38 PM)
So what other option do you see? You haven't rejected the statement/lesson of the last 2 seasons - that this team has no where near the talent that the other teams in this division have and are in 4th place for a reason - so where do they go next offseason when Frazier, Cabrera hit FA and they've stumbled into a 3rd/4th place finish again?

It is just as easy to say that you haven't gotten the lesson of decades of failure by other mid market teams trying rebuilding.

QUOTE (SpankyEaton @ Nov 6, 2016 -> 03:10 PM)
Please God, just get it through their thick heads that it is time to rebuild and get some good players with the right moves. Trade the skinny headcase and get a kings ransom for him and make nobody untouchable. Make some real progress instead of staying stuck in neutral.

If the skinny is a headcase, he won't bring back a king's ransom. Maybe Q will bring a queen's ransom instead.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 6, 2016 -> 05:33 PM)
I'd still contend that this team would need a miracle to pull of a successful rebuild on the first try with its lack of resources to carry it through the process. When you look at how many times it took teams like KC, Pittburgh, and company to do it, I don't see the excitement for rebuilding that others do.

I dunno...it helps when you have the assets to move which basically allow you to ask for other teams' top prospects. It isn't like they would be going into this cold.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 6, 2016 -> 09:47 PM)
It is just as easy to say that you haven't gotten the lesson of decades of failure by other mid market teams trying rebuilding.

You still haven't answered the question? Does this mean you're up for another go-round of free agent signings?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 6, 2016 -> 08:38 PM)

Well the Sox won a world series doing it this way. The reality is they cannot afford a rebuild at this time. They can trade sale for some talent but a full rebuild would destroy their finances as I said before. Fans will not watch or go to the ball park to see 4 years of rebuilding baseball. It just wont happen. And with the Cubs being a great championship team non die hard fans will just watch them instead. If they make some tweaks they can compete for a wild card. With two wild cards most competent teams will be interesting for a season. We blew a lot of games this year we should have won and with 3 top flight starters we will be in a lot of games. And if we could sneak into the playoffs Sale, Q, Rodon would be just as good as what Cleveland trots out there. Odds are low they will win it all but odds are also low of them winning it all after a rebuild.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 6, 2016 -> 08:58 PM)
You still haven't answered the question? Does this mean you're up for another go-round of free agent signings?

Just to be clear I would love to see them go young but I don't think they can at this particular time. They can trade Sale but they must still remain somewhat relevant.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 6, 2016 -> 08:55 PM)
I dunno...it helps when you have the assets to move which basically allow you to ask for other teams' top prospects. It isn't like they would be going into this cold.

Chris Sale is the only player we have that will net top prospects. We will get solid ones for Q and everyone else will yield back trash.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Nov 6, 2016 -> 08:03 PM)
Well the Sox won a world series doing it this way. The reality is they cannot afford a rebuild at this time. They can trade sale for some talent but a full rebuild would destroy their finances as I said before. Fans will not watch or go to the ball park to see 4 years of rebuilding baseball. It just wont happen. And with the Cubs being a great championship team non die hard fans will just watch them instead. If they make some tweaks they can compete for a wild card. With two wild cards most competent teams will be interesting for a season. We blew a lot of games this year we should have won and with 3 top flight starters we will be in a lot of games. And if we could sneak into the playoffs Sale, Q, Rodon would be just as good as what Cleveland trots out there. Odds are low they will win it all but odds are also low of them winning it all after a rebuild.

Tweaks? Did you watch this team last year? They have massive holes to fill and limited options and resources to fill them. This idea we're always a couple of moves away from competing is what's gotten us into this mess. Right now, our organization is a Chris Sale injury away from being completely f***ed. I've never been a pro-rebuild guy, but we really have no alternatives at this time.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Nov 6, 2016 -> 06:06 PM)
Chris Sale is the only player we have that will net top prospects. We will get solid ones for Q and everyone else will yield back trash.

No.

Q and Eaton would both get back top prospects.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 6, 2016 -> 09:07 PM)
Tweaks? Did you watch this team last year? They have massive holes to fill and limited options and resources to fill them. This idea we're always a couple of moves away from competing is what's gotten us into this mess. Right now, our organization is a Chris Sale injury away from being completely f***ed. I've never been a pro-rebuild guy, but we really have no alternatives at this time.

Eaton, Melky, Anderson, Lawrie, Abreu, and Frazier has enough talent to get a team to postseason play.

Sale, Q, Rodon, Shields have enough talent to do it as does our closer

We need to fix CF, DH, and C to compete for the playoffs. We also need a competent manager since Robin was one of the worst in baseball.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 6, 2016 -> 10:28 PM)
Why? It isn't like my opinion matters. What are you trying to pin me on now?

Because you replied about how bad the path I advocate is without stating a path you'd find to be better. I think that's a fair thing to ask for in reply.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Nov 6, 2016 -> 08:26 PM)
Eaton, Melky, Anderson, Lawrie, Abreu, and Frazier has enough talent to get a team to postseason play.

We need to fix CF, DH, and C to compete for the playoffs. We also need a competent manager since Robin was one of the worst in baseball.

How do you expect to fill those three holes? Plus Shields is likely to be a huge problem in the #5 spot plus there are serious bullpen and depth concerns as well. It's not as simple as filling three holes in a deep free agent class while we sit on boatloads of cash. If we go for it, we'll most likely be bargain bin shopping again and we all saw how well that went last offseason. Is that really what you want?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 6, 2016 -> 08:30 PM)
Because you replied about how bad the path I advocate is without stating a path you'd find to be better. I think that's a fair thing to ask for in reply.

Ah, so you can tell me my theory is wrong. Got it now. I am not saying a rebuild can't work. I am just saying that the historic odds aren't nearly as high as they are being portrayed here. We could just as easily see it blow up in our faces, just like we have seen in Minnesota with their rebuild. They are starting over again.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 6, 2016 -> 06:33 PM)
Ah, so you can tell me my theory is wrong. Got it now. I am not saying a rebuild can't work. I am just saying that the historic odds aren't nearly as high as they are being portrayed here. We could just as easily see it blow up in our faces, just like we have seen in Minnesota with their rebuild. They are starting over again.

It seems like the odds have increased in the past 5-8 years or so. Perhaps better scouting, more info, more video, etc.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Nov 6, 2016 -> 07:53 PM)
If the skinny is a headcase, he won't bring back a king's ransom. Maybe Q will bring a queen's ransom instead.

Skinny weiner is lights out on the field but is an infant off the field. Hopefully some team will take a flyer and overpay.

Well yeah, I think if you're going to tell others why their concept is flawed then telling us a better way seems like a logical next request.

Yes, it could blow up in our faces. I don't see that as any worse than where they are right now. A 4th place team is not that much better than a 5th place team and shouldn't be treated as a major accomplishment worth protecting. 8 playoff misses in a row isn't an accomplishment.

I actually agree with you that the Sox won't rebuild and that doing so is dangerous. But I also think that using Minnesota is a bad example, for two reasons:

1. When the Twins started their rebuild, they were already terrible and had few movable assets. They have build a great farm system largely though good drafting and high picks, as well as the international market. Contrast this with the White Sox, who have movable assets but nothing to surround them with, no help from the farm, and a payroll that is likely already near maxed.

2. The Twins are still rebuilding - their surprise season of competence in 2015 didn't cause them to trade their farm depth. Though they signed some bad FA deals, none are really anchors. They still have a lot of near term farm assets that will improve their club in the next 1-2 years. They are hardly tearing down again. They just overachieved one year and underachieved the next.

Again, I don't think you're wrong, I just think there's a valid case for going either way.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Nov 6, 2016 -> 08:26 PM)

They need an actual bat or multiple bats instead of just stockpiling arms. The Sox got smoked by their division last year and lost too many one run games. The Northsiders seem to win with home runs, why can't the Sox try that again? Keep drafting some hitters instead of pitchers, pitchers can be bought later when your team can actually contend. I just hope the Sox deal someone or some players to get some bats so there will actually be some offense and some young players doing something (like Anderson) instead of seeing the same old s***.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 6, 2016 -> 08:33 PM)

Here's what is so damn frustrating (and quite frankly annoying):

Why not atleast TRY? We don't know if a full rebuild will succeed or fail because we've yet to try it. If after five years we're in a terrible spot regarding our rebuild, then reevaluate. What difference would it make it in 2022 we've failed with our current philosophy (which has PROVEN not to work), or rebuild (which may not work.....but who knows).

I really don't understand the reluctance. I feel the same people say a variation of the same excuse every year why we can't and shouldn't rebuild. "JR wouldn't allow it," "fans wouldn't approve of it," "you trust the sane people that put together this team to rebuild," "we're just a few players away...." All terrible.

I can not guarantee the path to a championship is through a rebuild. What I can say is what we're doing, and have been since 2008, is not working.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 6, 2016 -> 08:33 PM)

Completely different scouting environment now that statistics, computers, and analysis rule the league.

You know what doesn't work? What we're doing right now. We might make the playoffs once in the next decade.