President-Elect Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 06:51 PM)
But you're ignoring that even conservative justices have agreed that there IS a right to abortions per Roe v. Wade, it's the amount of restrictions that are in question.

Thomas is anti-Roe. Scalia was too. Alito and Roberts both take a position where they say they respect precedent but basically think it's a bad decision, so they're not completely unwilling to overturn it. And again, Trump can nominate people more like Scalia.

If you have restrictions that don't allow for any abortions at all, that's a ban and I don't think even the conservative justices would agree to it.

The restriction itself doesn't have to actually ban abortion, only make it sufficiently difficult to the point where clinics don't want to stay open.

On the gay point, he now is the platform. He's the next President. Like with every politician, 99% of what he says and promises on his way to getting elected won't be followed after he is sworn in. The dude was a Democrat 3 years ago. He's not a bible thumper.

He's not a Bible thumper, but he doesn't operate by personal principle either. He operates by what sells. When he's surrounded by Democrats, he likes Democrat policies and Republicans are a disaster. Now that he's engrained with Republicans, he likes Republican policies and Democrats are a disaster. He's going to sell anti-Obergefell judges.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 11:44 AM)
Ah yes, unity and partnership and compromise and all that. The great liberal talking point until someone else wins that doesn't think like me.

I'm not happy at all that Trump won and i'm quite confident we're in for an...interesting...4 years. But the liberal jump of the cliff response to this has been enjoyable.

I've had friends on Facebook that in the last few hours have let out all of their pent up, hidden sexism, racism and homophobia out in defense of Trump. People I had know idea thought that way but apparently now that we have a President elect that thinks the same as they do it's now okay to show it. This isn't about somebody not thinking like me or not voting for my candidate (who was not Clinton) it's about people saying s*** that could set this country back 60 years. When I voted for Kerry, I didn't give two s***s that any of my friends voted for Bush. When I voted for Obama, I didn't give two s***s that my friends voted for McCain or Romney. Hell I don't care that some of my friends voted for Trump but when they justify that vote by repeating the racist, sexist, xenophobic s*** that he has said all campaign I'm sorry but my opinion of that friend has just changed.

I'm not all that worried that Trump will destroy this country, there are enough checks and balances in place to prevent that, what I'm worried about is how so many people seem to think it's okay again to be openly racist, sexist and homophobic. It's downright scary that in 2016 there are still that many people out there that think that way.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 09:56 AM)
Inciting violence and hatred sure, totally agree. Having disagreements about tough decisions when it comes to something like immigration I don't. You guys tend to view things very black and white and b**** when the "other guys" don't agree with you 100%. There's no right answer on a lot of that stuff. There are tough decisions that may not be fair to some people. Doesn't mean those people are awful human beings that you shouldn't associate with.

Hey, I agree with you...I don't post back here much, but when I do, I drink Dos Equis...I spar with SS and Balta and Sqwert just as much as I do with you and ss2k and others that lean a bit right. I rarely buy into much of what politicians say or do, and I am quite disgusted with the entire system.

But this is different...I'm not talking about "tough decisions," like trade and immigration...I am right in line with what most dems thought and that is that this argument doesn't even really reach those issues. The character and temperament of this guy is in and of itself a nonstarter - a complete deal breaker. And the fact that so many people either somewhat secretly are giddy about what this guy stands for, or else are not so offended by it that they can overlook it because they are so frustrated by whatever the hell Barack Obama did to them in the last 8 years...well...I'm just blown away.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 09:56 AM)
Inciting violence and hatred sure, totally agree. Having disagreements about tough decisions when it comes to something like immigration I don't. You guys tend to view things very black and white and b**** when the "other guys" don't agree with you 100%. There's no right answer on a lot of that stuff. There are tough decisions that may not be fair to some people. Doesn't mean those people are awful human beings that you shouldn't associate with.

edit: and in some instances it's not even about that, it's where do you prioritize this stuff. If you're a poor white person in rural penn or mich you probably put the rights of gays or immigrants lower on your list than jobs or the economy. That doesn't make you an awful person that hates a certain subgroup.

The numbers back this up. These were the two least liked candidates in history. Obviously most people didn't WANT to vote for them, they had to.

Replying separately to your edit:

None of my friends that I am referring to are poor white people from rural penn or mich. They are middle class, intelligent, decent white people.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 11:56 AM)

Youre doing exactly what youre arguing against.

"You guys". Its not everyone. Over the last few months I have made a lot of arguments against Trump. But today I am arguing to give him a chance. I could easily say "how many people who voted for Trump would be doing that", but the answer really is, it doesnt matter what other people are doing. At some point we have to be accountable to ourselves.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 12:03 PM)
Hey, I agree with you...I don't post back here much, but when I do, I drink Dos Equis...I spar with SS and Balta and Sqwert just as much as I do with you and ss2k and others that lean a bit right. I rarely buy into much of what politicians say or do, and I am quite disgusted with the entire system.

But this is different...I'm not talking about "tough decisions," like trade and immigration...I am right in line with what most dems thought and that is that this argument doesn't even really reach those issues. The character and temperament of this guy is in and of itself a nonstarter - a complete deal breaker. And the fact that so many people either somewhat secretly are giddy about what this guy stands for, or else are not so offended by it that they can overlook it because they are so frustrated by whatever the hell Barack Obama did to them in the last 8 years...well...I'm just blown away.

I guess i don't see why. On the other side you have a complete robot who is totally calculated and fake and has been working that way for 30 years. People are naturally going to gravitate towards someone that has more charisma than a lamppost. We have a dumb electorate. We all knew that going in.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 12:10 PM)
I guess i don't see why. On the other side you have a complete robot who is totally calculated and fake and has been working that way for 30 years. People are naturally going to gravitate towards someone that has more charisma than a lamppost. We have a dumb electorate. We all knew that going in.

I strangely find robots safer.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 11:50 AM)
This doesn't help anything.

Her husband had his chance in 1988 and then didn't challenge Hillary this time around when he is more popular than anyone but Michelle Obama and Liz Warren.

They both should be doing some soul-searching. And plagiarism isn't a disqualifier anymore...especially when compared with the litany of Trump personal and ethical issues.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 07:14 PM)
I don't. They have no principles and go wherever the public winds tell them to go.

I don't think one could make an argument that Donald Trump has more consistent political principles than Hillary Clinton. As you noted not far back, he aligned himself with Democrats not long ago.

Obama ruined everyone's lives. Trump even said voting for Hillary is like voting for 4 more years of Obama. The weird part....Obama's approval rating is higher than Reagan's on election day 1988. The only 2 modern Presidents with a higher approval rating on election day were Reagan in 1984, and Bill Clinton in 2000.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 01:14 PM)
I know nobody wants to hear this right now but the continuing to call people sexist, racist etc for disagreeing with you isnt helping anything.

I hazard to guess that most people who voted for Trump are not sexist, racist, etc. But when he, or his supporters, act is a sexist, racist, etc. way, those particular supporters deserve to be called on that and held accountable.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 12:17 PM)
I don't think one could make an argument that Donald Trump has more consistent political principles than Hillary Clinton. As you noted not far back, he aligned himself with Democrats not long ago.

Yeah up until Obama took office you could say that, but in the last 10 years? No way. He quite literally said whatever it took to get elected.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 12:17 PM)

Oh don't take that statement to mean I prefer Donald "I have no policy" Trump.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 12:14 PM)
I know nobody wants to hear this right now but the continuing to call people sexist, racist etc for disagreeing with you isnt helping anything.

How long did the GOP spend trying to work with Obama in 2008/09?

If they pass legislation that's beneficial to the country, then there will be progress...potentially.

The entire philosophy of the Congress after 2010 was blocking/obstructionism. Why would that be any different now? The country didn't change last night so much as Hillary was just a terribly flawed candidate and repudiated by the same groups who got her husband elected, African Americans and voters under 30...the new administration tries to veer too far to the right, it will be as popular as the Brexit movement is right now in England.

There's no massive mandate like Obama originally had to work with...

Edited by caulfield12

By the way, the RMB is at 6.84 and falling.

Trump argued the Chinese were a currency manipulator...artificially undervaluing their currency. Now the opposite? It was 6.3 not too long ago...and they've spent almost a trillion USD in capital reserves on defending it from falling too far and patching up the stock market.

So Trump theoretically should be against this (even if it's market forces of supply/demand/speculation) because it will make Chinese exports cheaper/more competitive.

So let's see if anyone in the GOP really wants to start a trade war or favors a 45% tariff...making 75% of the goods coming (also increasing supply chain/assembly costs into the equation) into America more expensive for those (lower) middle class Wall-Mart customers who elected him.

Even if he lowers taxes, disposable income would be cancelled out by protectionism-based losses to consumers' shopping carts and Iphones going up to $1000 like here in China.

Edited by caulfield12

Well Donald, you won. I didn't vote for you and I didn't want you to win. I hope you prove me wrong and go on to be an amazing president. And for all the politicians out there, I hope every one saw what happened and realized Donald is here because of the republicans and democrats who failed to work together to make America better.

I hope we see a much more moderate Trump from here on out and that ultimately his policies will end up falling more in the middle. We shall see, but as an American, I hope you do an amazing job.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 12:10 PM)

They are called "politicians." And there are still 538 of them in Washington that will be making the laws. If they really wanted to "Drain the Swamp," people like McCain wouldn't be reelected. Not because he's a bad representative, but because he is a lifetime politician. That didn't happen.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 12:24 PM)
How long did the GOP spend trying to work with Obama in 2008/09?

If they pass legislation that's beneficial to the country, then there will be progress...potentially.

The entire philosophy of the Congress after 2010 was blocking/obstructionism. Why would that be any different now? The country didn't change last night so much as Hillary was just a terribly flawed candidate and repudiated by the same groups who got her husband elected, African Americans and voters under 30...the new administration tries to veer too far to the right, it will be as popular as the Brexit movement is right now in England.

There's no massive mandate like Obama originally had to work with...

What happened was the dems selected a candidate that simply couldnt be president. It wasnt going to happen, I have said that for months. Bernie mops the floor with Trump this election but as we saw from wikileaks the DNC wasnt going to let that happen, under any circumstances. Not to mention that there is video proof thanks to James Okeefe of the dems admitting they pay the mentally ill to attack people at Trump rallies. The Clintons almost destroyed the entire democratic party. Hillary Clinton was the worst candidate in political history running the most negative garbage campaign possible. Colluding with the media and even establishment GOP politicians. That is why Trump won. Not because of raicism, sexism or any isms people want to insult people with. You lost because of the candidate you selected.