2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

Sitting at #4 in a draft where it seems like 5-6 guys could go No. 1 and there is no clear-cut 1-1 player is a pretty good situation. I would be very happy at this point with any of the elite pitchers: Mize, McClanahan, Singer, Liberatore or Hankins. Obviously, Mize/McClanahan and Hankins have some health concerns, but assuming the due diligence comes out clean on those, any of five would be solid picks. Not sold yet on a hitter be worthy of No. 4 overall yet, though Gorman would probably be the most logical guy at this point.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 28, 2018 -> 08:20 AM)
Sitting at #4 in a draft where it seems like 5-6 guys could go No. 1 and there is no clear-cut 1-1 player is a pretty good situation. I would be very happy at this point with any of the elite pitchers: Mize, McClanahan, Singer, Liberatore or Hankins. Obviously, Mize/McClanahan and Hankins have some health concerns, but assuming the due diligence comes out clean on those, any of five would be solid picks. Not sold yet on a hitter be worthy of No. 4 overall yet, though Gorman would probably be the most logical guy at this point.

Agreed on the situation the Sox are finding themselves in. Only problem is that a lot of the position players haven't really asserted themselves in the top 5. Madrigal mightve been that guy, but Gorman's body has apparently taken a step back, there are mixed reviews on Swaggerty, and Turang's offensive profile just doesnt scream superstar. Alec Bohm is my dark horse late riser right now in terms of position players right now, he's been mashing and can stick at 3B. I'm not sure he will get as high as 4, but I think he goes in the top 10 now. Current rankings are:

Mize

Liberatore

McClanahan

Hankins

Gilbert

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 28, 2018 -> 10:24 AM)
Fwiw, I think it was PerfectGame that said Giants are very interested in Liberatore. Also I think Kiley suggested that Madrigal wasn't a WSox type guy.

Correct on Kiley's Madrigal comment. I'm still holding out hope that Swaggerty or some sort of position player forces there way into the top 5. Wouldn't mind Bohm forcing the issue.

Edited by DirtySox

What is a white sox guy at this point? Seems like we've gone big on statcast schools. We have been avoiding players with big athletic tools that lacked hitting polish. But that's a last 2 years trend. And last year all "trends" were pointing to us and Jerren Kendall. We grabbed Burger and then a bunch of good contact/power guys with little positional versatility and then college relievers.

I could see madrigal fitting into this "best hitter available" mold we've ridden with, or this year we go big with athleticism to round out our minors (in both pitcher and hitter build)

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 28, 2018 -> 11:44 AM)
What is a white sox guy at this point? Seems like we've gone big on statcast schools. We have been avoiding players with big athletic tools that lacked hitting polish. But that's a last 2 years trend. And last year all "trends" were pointing to us and Jerren Kendall. We grabbed Burger and then a bunch of good contact/power guys with little positional versatility and then college relievers.

I could see madrigal fitting into this "best hitter available" mold we've ridden with, or this year we go big with athleticism to round out our minors (in both pitcher and hitter build)

That is a great question. It really has changed so much from year to year in the last few years.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Mar 28, 2018 -> 11:40 AM)
Liberatore's team plays in the NHSI today. MLB is streaming the game. You can find the link on this page. I don't know if he is pitching, but I'll tune it to check it out.

Jonathan Mayo

@JonathanMayo

19m

Excited to call the game w/@MLB_McMaster, @DaniWex and Flash Gordon that @libby3232 is pitching at @usabaseball's #NHSI18. Watch live here: (link: http://atmlb.com/2J14HW3) atmlb.com/2J14HW3

Liberatore is indeed pitching.

Edited by DirtySox

Aaron Fitt

@aaronfitt

20s

Getting a look at No. 1 #mlbdraft prospect Matthew Liberatore at the NHSI. Laboring a bit early, not a ton of energy, not sharpest stuff/cmd - but obviously a lot to like. Great body, good angle & arm-side life on the fastball (88-92, T93-95), flashes 3 promising offspeed pitches