2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 01:04 PM)
I'd say probably drop Gorman too, at least for now. There is concern from some about his ability to stay at third and some questions about his contact again. I bet we here more when all the scouts get back from NHSI, but for right now there does seem to be some growing uncertainty.

My prediction for the next month or so is that Mize is going to continue to rise and establish himself as the #1, Liberatore will be linked to the Giants more, and McClanahan is going to establish himself as the best option available at #3. Eierman and Bohm are going to get talked about a ton, but both will fall off a little bit when scouts start scrutinizing them more.

If we end up with Hankins I’m not complaining. Kershaw v2.0?

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 12:10 PM)
Callis been giving his take on Madrigal today. Context is the possibility of him going 1.1.

Jim Callis

@jimcallisMLB

I know what you're saying. But Altuve's path is one of a kind ... A 5-foot-7 guy who may profile better at 2B, you just don't see that type of guy going No. 1 overall. Nick Madrigal can play, no question. Just don't see him going 1-1. @MLBDraft

Jim Callis

@jimcallisMLB

Albies & Madrigal aren't going to have Altuve's power. Bet the under on a small 2B having a .200 ISO every time. My initial comment wasn't meant to denigrate anyone, just to say that profile is not going to wow a team drafting No. 1 overall.

Good, hopefully he gets drafted #4 overall and becomes the next Altuve. I get that he's small and frame is a big part of power potential, but Madrigal just knows how to hit, and I'd be happy if he became what Altuve was with the bat prior to his power explosion, especially if he sticks at SS.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 01:10 PM)
I know these rankings can & will change, but who are the top four guys at the moment?

Mize, Liberatore, McClanahan, & Hankins/Gorman?

Obviously it seems like we?€ll probably end up with a pitcher and I?€m fine with that. Adding another elite pitching prospect will give us the depth to move some arms to add a cost-controlled bat when the time is right.

Mize

Liberatore

McClanahan

Gorman

Hankins

I think Singer is barely top ten, he's hasn't been too hot. I like Rolison too. Kelenic is a top ten guy as well.

Edited by Joshua Strong

Both Mize and Singer will be on the WatchESPN streaming service for those interested. Singer is such an enigma to me. I've seen him pitch a few games and while he's solid, he doesn't blow me away in the slightest. I never quite understood the 1.1 hype with him. I imagine his stock is mid 1st round at the moment?

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 04:14 PM)
Mize

Liberatore

McClanahan

Gorman

Hankins

I think Singer is barely top ten, he's hasn't been too hot. I like Rolison too. Kelenic is a top ten guy as well.

If there is any team at the top that should know Kelenic its us. He is playing on a travel team instead of his high school team this year, so hopefully he faces some better competition and we can see what he's got. I really like him, but I also feel like he might be a reach because he kind of profiles similar to Blake Rutherford: might not have the speed to stick in center, might not have the bat to make it in a corner.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 06:09 PM)
If there is any team at the top that should know Kelenic its us. He is playing on a travel team instead of his high school team this year, so hopefully he faces some better competition and we can see what he's got. I really like him, but I also feel like he might be a reach because he kind of profiles similar to Blake Rutherford: might not have the speed to stick in center, might not have the bat to make it in a corner.

Brandon Nimmo too, at least in terms of situation

Edited by Joshua Strong

watched singer last night. Agree with what others said. Ceiling is probably not super high - plus command, nice movement on the 2 seamer, good breaking ball. Both pitches near major league ready. He’ll be a fast riser but not sure he will ever be a top end starter.

Austin Beck struggled last year in AZL, Jordan/Jo Adell performed much better.

Those were the two high school picks who came before Burger last year.

What is the comp for Adams?

https://247sports.com/Player/Jordyn-Adams-91462

Kenny Williams pick? Seems like he committed (for now) to UNC for football...baseball as well?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 31, 2018 -> 02:44 PM)
Austin Beck struggled last year in AZL, Jordan/Jo Adell performed much better.

Those were the two high school picks who came before Burger last year.

What is the comp for Adams?

https://247sports.com/Player/Jordyn-Adams-91462

Kenny Williams pick? Seems like he committed (for now) to UNC for football...baseball as well?

I feel like we won't hear much about him because he is probably going to college. With how good he is at football, its probably best for him to go to college to see which he is better at.

I found this quote from Hahn interesting:

Nick and his guys feel really good about the player they think we are going to get in the second round...

I’m sure what he means is that due to the overall depth of this draft that there will be a quality get there at pick 48, or whatever it is... but without much context, that quote could be read as if they have a specific player whom they’re confident will be there for us to nab.

http://mlb.com/r/article?ymd=20180331&...ws&c_id=cws

Aaron Fitt

@aaronfitt

2h2 hours ago

More

Florida is all smiles after Jonathan India's 2-run homer puts @GatorsBB up 7-2 in the 4th. India went the other way on a 92 mph Jackson Gillis fastball, lining a missile into the Vandy bullpen. 2nd homer of the weekend for India, who went deep to left Friday.

Aaron Fitt

@aaronfitt

53m53 minutes ago

More Aaron Fitt Retweeted Gators Baseball

Jonathan India has impressed in all facets of the game this weekend. He really has become a complete player. I’m betting he winds up going in the first round this June. #mlbdraft

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (hi8is @ Apr 1, 2018 -> 04:52 AM)
I found this quote from Hahn interesting:

I’m sure what he means is that due to the overall depth of this draft that there will be a quality get there at pick 48, or whatever it is... but without much context, that quote could be read as if they have a specific player whom they’re confident will be there for us to nab.

http://mlb.com/r/article?ymd=20180331&...ws&c_id=cws

It's as if there's a highly rated prospect they have very strong connections to :)

Maybe they work an agreement out with the Thomas family in which the family tells the other interested teams not to draft him because he’s going to follow through on his TCU commitment to scare other teams off due to his draft and signability. The sox go over slot at 48 paying a bonus of where he is projected to slot say early 2nd late first round slot dollars-magically he is no longer interested in TCU. That would be a way to maybe work that out if this is the kid the organization is referencing. Seems like he has similar tools as Kelenic who almost certainly won’t be available at 48.

QUOTE (Replacement Level Poster @ Apr 1, 2018 -> 06:09 PM)
Maybe they work an agreement out with the Thomas family in which the family tells the other interested teams not to draft him because he?€s going to follow through on his TCU commitment to scare other teams off due to his draft and signability. The sox go over slot at 48 paying a bonus of where he is projected to slot say early 2nd late first round slot dollars-magically he is no longer interested in TCU. That would be a way to maybe work that out if this is the kid the organization is referencing. Seems like he has similar tools as Kelenic who almost certainly won?€t be available at 48.

The White Sox would be in very serious hot water if they did that given the duplicitous nature of it.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 1, 2018 -> 07:33 PM)
The White Sox would be in very serious hot water if they did that given the duplicitous nature of it.

Is it against the rules for a prospect to tell teams he has no intention of signing with them if drafted, with the exception of one team? Say the kid thinks college is the better route, with the exception of getting drafted and signed by the white sox. I see no issue with this.

The only way I could see a problem would be if a team specifically hired a family member within 1 year's time of a college draft...for that very reason (not unlike bringing a family member onto a college basketball coaching staff to ensure a recruit's commitment).

Thomas has been with the White Sox for at least two decades, right?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 1, 2018 -> 10:42 PM)
The only way I could see a problem would be if a team specifically hired a family member within 1 year's time of a college draft...for that very reason (not unlike bringing a family member onto a college basketball coaching staff to ensure a recruit's commitment).

Thomas has been with the White Sox for at least two decades, right?

Truth. White Sox used this same trick to dupe teams into not drafting Kenny William's son. They swooped in like bandits and stole him in the later rounds.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Apr 1, 2018 -> 10:26 PM)
Is it against the rules for a prospect to tell teams he has no intention of signing with them if drafted, with the exception of one team? Say the kid thinks college is the better route, with the exception of getting drafted and signed by the white sox. I see no issue with this.

That was not the suggestion by the poster above. The suggestion was that Thomas say he is going to college, don't draft me. If Thomas simply said, he only wants to be drafted by the Sox, there is nothing inherently wrong with that, but again, that was not the original suggestion and that would involve no deceit.