2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Feb 22, 2018 -> 12:30 PM)
After the Sox success with Hansen, despite the control problems McClanahan's stuff is too good from the left side to ignore. Would not bother me one bit if they went with him.

Yep. If they do go pitcher and he's still considered one of the few top college arms I'd be elated with the selection. Lefty that touches 100 with 2 solid secondaries with some command issues? Right up the Sox development alley. Though Swaggerty is my new crush. Still leaning position player. Hard.

Alan (Rancho Cucamonga): Hiya. I noticed our friend Keith Law is much higher on some of the college bats than BA. Notably Swaggerty, Conine, & Jake McCarthy. Do you see any of the three moving into top 5 pick consideration? Who has the best shot in your humble opinion. Thanks!

Carlos Collazo: Hey Alan. Can’t speak specifically to Keith’s list as I’m not familiar with his process. I do know that every year we hear about how as the college season progresses the bats will rise if they perform. We’re happy with how our top 5 looks, but we acknowledge the fact that a lot can, will and has already changed between January 12 (when we released the top 200) and when the draft arrives this June. We do have Swaggerty, Conine and McCarthy all within the first round or supplemental first round currently. If I had to pick one of the three to jump into that range though I’d go with Swaggerty. I heard some really good things from him after his opening weekend and it sounds like he’s making a case to stick in CF at the next level.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/chat/?1519310975

Reading the BA chat, this stuck out

Lilith (Ohio): Could you compare and contrast the top three potential SS in this draft (Turang, Madrigal, de Sedas) to the top three in 2015 (Swanson, Bregman, Rodgers)? Are they close to the same quality or do they fall short?

Carlos Collazo: I could talk about Nick Madrigal for days so we may as well keep it going. Right off the bat I’d say they fall short. As you know, Swanson, Bregman and Rodgers went 1-2-3 in the draft in 2015 and I would be very surprised if that happened in any order with Brice Turang, Madrigal and Nander De Sedas this year. The arms are too good. Still, you could make some interesting comparisons. Swanson was a second baseman at Vanderbilt before proving he could play shortstop his junior year, while Madrigal has played mostly second base with Oregon State thanks to Cadyn Grenier, though I think he can play short at the next level. Both are praised for work ethic, makeup, baseball IQ, etc. I’ll have to force the Bregman-Turang comp as obviously the former was a college product and the latter is in high school, but Bregman had an extremely lengthy track record of success when he was drafted while Turang has performed at a high level more than almost anyone in the high school class. Both have gold medals with USA Baseball, Bregman was an LSU product while Turang is committed to the program and both have impact questions offensively but great hit tools. Rodgers and De Sedas are both prep shortstops out of Florida with offensive and defensive skills, plus power potential and questions about range as they develop physically. I do think De Sedas has less polish with the bat than Rodgers did at the time. De Sedas is also a switch hitter and is more of an upbeat, high-energy guy than Rodgers was at the time.

I read that and think I'd prefer Turang.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 22, 2018 -> 04:39 PM)
If you draft Madrigal, where do you slot him eventually? Normally I wouldn’t ask the question, but he should come relatively quick.

I'd slot him at 3b and as the back up SS and 2b, and when slide burger over to 1b and the backup 3b. I would like to slot Moncada at 3b but it seems he wants to stay at 2b.

This is why I really want us to go HS early and often this coming draft. 83% of the White Sox top 5 round picks in the last 5 years have been college players.

Edited by GenericUserName

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Feb 22, 2018 -> 08:19 PM)

This is why I really want us to go HS early and often this coming draft. 83% of the White Sox top 5 round picks in the last 5 years have been college players.

Oh s***, I went 2 for 2 in that poll. What can I say, I watch far too much of the draft every year.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 10:35 AM)
Article on Swaggerty (current crush) and Steele Walker (great name) by BA.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/college/swa...qQY0OADazfy1.97

They also put out a top 10 College OF list today as well.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/college/top...dy9BZOp560Ua.97

I really like Zach Watson from the OF list. There is a chance that he could be available in the second round and even though he is a college guy it seems like he has a higher ceiling. He seems like the type that could be a 2nd round pick this year as a sophomore, but would be in the conversation for top 10 if he went back for another year.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 22, 2018 -> 05:39 PM)
If you draft Madrigal, where do you slot him eventually? Normally I wouldn’t ask the question, but he should come relatively quick.

I'd have him playing SS all the way up to the bigs (unless he just really shows he can't hack the position defensively) and start him there if he forces the issue. I don't see Anderson as a long term lock at SS, so if Madrigal comes in and destroys pitching while playing a good SS all the way up, trade Anderson if necessary, or make him your UTIL, his contract is okay for that. Regardless, never turn down an all-star bat that can play SS defense.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 11:33 AM)
I'd have him playing SS all the way up to the bigs (unless he just really shows he can't hack the position defensively) and start him there if he forces the issue. I don't see Anderson as a long term lock at SS, so if Madrigal comes in and destroys pitching while playing a good SS all the way up, trade Anderson if necessary, or make him your UTIL, his contract is okay for that. Regardless, never turn down an all-star bat that can play SS defense.

Yea. I'm of this mindset too. Especially if he starts showing a bit more pop this year. The hit tool isn't in question. He wouldn't need long in the minors either.

Edited by DirtySox

Kiley Draft Notes and Scuttlebutt.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/draft-notes...tlebutt-galore/

We’ve also heard from some scouts that it appears both No. 17 on our list South Alabama CF Travis Swaggerty and Oklahoma RF Steele Walker (just missed the top 30) have added more loft to their swings. Both weren’t really homer threats last summer for Team USA but hit homers this weekend playing in the same tournament in Myrtle Beach. Swaggerty and Walker both have enough raw power to move up boards if they can successfully make and sustain this adjustment.

Also talks about how he thinks McClanahan is a 1-1 candidate.

Edited by DirtySox

Kendall Rogers

@KendallRogers

6m6 minutes ago

More

.@BeaverBaseball All-American Nick Madrigal had an X-ray tonight following a left hand injury. #Beavs team doctor will meet with him tomorrow. Fear is that he could miss 4-6 weeks. More tomorrow. #MLBDraft

QUOTE (frogsplash31 @ Feb 25, 2018 -> 02:08 AM)
Still.would like to see the Sox take Madrigal. I don't see Burger being the answer at third, so maybe the Sox should think about moving Moncada to 3rd.

There's no reason to move a premier 2B across the diamond because there is a need there on a rebuilding team

While I think Burger will stick at 3B more and more, I respect your opinion he'll wind up at 1B

Also, what's not to like about Burger? Dude has been raking and is in for a big '18...Could be on the SouthSide by '20

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Feb 24, 2018 -> 03:19 PM)

Seems like Gorman is the new De Sedas with all the helium right now

He’s probably #1 on my list. Just seems like he provides the best mix of ceiling & floor on the positional side. Is there any chance he’s available at #4 or will he be a consensus top 3 of guy?

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 09:50 PM)
Kendall Rogers

@KendallRogers

6m6 minutes ago

More

.@BeaverBaseball All-American Nick Madrigal had an X-ray tonight following a left hand injury. #Beavs team doctor will meet with him tomorrow. Fear is that he could miss 4-6 weeks. More tomorrow. #MLBDraft

Officially broken.