2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

"The class looks strong right now, the deepest overall since 2011, although the upper tier is less certain right now and heavier on the high school talent some teams have shied away from in recent drafts."

I have to keep reminding myself this. Every poor write-up I shake my fist at the sky.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 09:07 AM)
Law's top 30 draft prospects up. Insider only.

http://www.espn.com/blog/keith-law/post/_/...draft-prospects

Keith Law top 30 usually looks very different than other publications and it's no different this time:

1. Ethan Hankins RHP HS GA

2. Casey Mize RHP Auburn

3. Travis Swaggerty OF South Florida

4. Nolan Gorman 3B HS AZ

5. Matthew Liberatore LHP HS AZ

6. Griffin Conine OF Duke

7. Logan Gilbert RHP Stetson

8. Kumar Rocker RHP GA

9. Jake McCarthy OF Virginia

10. Ryan Rolison LHP Ole Miss

11. Jackson Kowar RHP Florida

12. Carter Stewart RHP HS FL

13. Shane McClanahan LHP South Florida

14. Nander de Sedas SS HS FL

15. Jarred Kelenic OF HS WI

16. Steele Walker OF Oklahoma

17. Seth Beer OF Clemson

18. Nick Madrigal 2B Oregon State

19. Will Banfield C HS GA

20. Brice Turang SS HS CA

21. Cole Wilcox RHP HS GA

22. Brady Singer RHP Florida

23. Tristan Pompey OF Kentucky

24. Tim Cate LHP UConn

25. Jeremy Eierman SS Missouri State

26. Mason Denaburg RHP HS FL

27. Tristan Casas 1B HS FL

28. Cole Winn RHP HS CA

29. Konnor Pilkington LHP Mississippi State

30. Joey Bart C Georgia Tech

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 09:49 AM)
Keith Law top 30 usually looks very different than other publications and it's no different this time:

1. Ethan Hankins RHP HS GA

2. Casey Mize RHP Auburn

3. Travis Swaggerty OF South Florida

4. Nolan Gorman 3B HS AZ

5. Matthew Liberatore LHP HS AZ

6. Griffin Conine OF Duke

7. Logan Gilbert RHP Stetson

8. Kumar Rocker RHP GA

9. Jake McCarthy OF Virginia

10. Ryan Rolison LHP Ole Miss

11. Jackson Kowar RHP Florida

12. Carter Stewart RHP HS FL

13. Shane McClanahan LHP South Florida

14. Nander de Sedas SS HS FL

15. Jarred Kelenic OF HS WI

16. Steele Walker OF Oklahoma

17. Seth Beer OF Clemson

18. Nick Madrigal 2B Oregon State

19. Will Banfield C HS GA

20. Brice Turang SS HS CA

21. Cole Wilcox RHP HS GA

22. Brady Singer RHP Florida

23. Tristan Pompey OF Kentucky

24. Tim Cate LHP UConn

25. Jeremy Eierman SS Missouri State

26. Mason Denaburg RHP HS FL

27. Tristan Casas 1B HS FL

28. Cole Winn RHP HS CA

29. Konnor Pilkington LHP Mississippi State

30. Joey Bart C Georgia Tech

This list almost feels more like where these guys will probably rank at draft time instead of where they rank right now. #1 falls, college bats rise, high school talent falls besides the top few.

This also encourages me about the perceived top 3 HS guys because if even Law has the same 3, there seems to be a consensus forming. And if there are 3, at least 1 should fall to us.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 09:51 AM)
Swaggerty eh? Conine too. College position player or two in the top 5 would make me happy.

Edit. Singer at 22? That certainly bucks the trend.

Hasn't it been determined that Kieth Law is really good at evaluating hitting talent, but has no idea how to asses pitchers? Or is the the opposite? One of those is true. lol

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 01:25 PM)
Hasn't it been determined that Kieth Law is really good at evaluating hitting talent, but has no idea how to asses pitchers? Or is the the opposite? One of those is true. lol

I believe Law has stated he really doesn't do much of the evaluations himself. Rather he just talks to scouts, GMs etc. and forms his evaluation from there.

Some draft questions in Law's chat.

Larry: I get you’re not a fan of Singers arm action but doesn’t the upside justify the risk? There are a lot of very successful leaders w slot guys in MLB.

Keith Law: What upside? I saw him 90-91 last April vs Kyle Wright with a flat slider. How many MLB starters have a slot or arm action like his? Sale and … um … let me know.

Scott Boras: Can Beer be more than a DH for an American League team?

Keith Law: Probably 1b. Would help his cause if he showed he could play average defense in LF.

Nick: Surprised to see Swaggerty ranked so high. Does he have a high enough upside to be a top 5 pick? Do you see him as a Jacoby Ellsbury type (the good version)?

Keith Law: I wouldn’t have ranked him there if I didn’t think he had that upside. One of the best pure hit tools in the draft with speed and a chance to profile as a good CF.

http://meadowparty.com/blog/2018/02/15/klawchat-2-15-18/

Happy start of the college season! A lot of great games today, time to start stat tracking!

Vandy vs. Duke (Conine vs. powerhouse team)

Ole Miss vs. Winthrop (Rolison starting)

UNC vs. USF (McClanahan vs. #6 team)

LSU vs. Notre Dame

Cal St.-Fullerton vs. Stanford (Beck and Bubic are Friday and Saturday starts for Stanford)

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 09:59 AM)
This also encourages me about the perceived top 3 HS guys because if even Law has the same 3, there seems to be a consensus forming. And if there are 3, at least 1 should fall to us.

I think this is an important point at this stage of the draft process. We've seen quite a bit of agreement across publications now that Hankins, Liberatore, and Gorman are the top 3 HS players. I think we will see some fluctuations in the college prospects, but we are getting a good early idea on which high school players will probably be at the top of the board come June.

Good point. I could be sold on taking college player at lower price and then getting a 2nd and 3rd rounder for HS.

But recently every college player we think will be a discount is full slot or over (ala Sheets)

QUOTE (Dunt @ Feb 16, 2018 -> 09:48 AM)
Happy start of the college season! A lot of great games today, time to start stat tracking!

Vandy vs. Duke (Conine vs. powerhouse team)

Ole Miss vs. Winthrop (Rolison starting)

UNC vs. USF (McClanahan vs. #6 team)

LSU vs. Notre Dame

Cal St.-Fullerton vs. Stanford (Beck and Bubic are Friday and Saturday starts for Stanford)

Will catch Rolison and hopefully McClanahan today. Wish there was an Oklahoma stream to catch Steele Walker.

Teddy Cahill

@tedcahill

5m5 minutes ago

More

Oklahoma OF Steele Walker sends one out with an oppo drive down the left field line. Wind us blowing out that way. 5-2 Sooners

@CarlosACollazo Gilbert is up to 9 Ks after 5 IP. He touched 93 on his final pitch of the fifth for his most recent strikeout, but has allowed 5 earned runs on 5 hits. He's walked one batter and hit two.