2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

My top four are probably Brady Singer, Ethan Hankins, Nander De Sedas, and Jarred Kelenic.

I feel like mlbpipeline was lower on a couple of the last two's tools than I have seen others. Kelenis probably has higher than 50 power and almost definitely more than 55 speed. De Sedas was given 40 speed when the worst I heard before was that he was going to end up average. Those two probably have the highest potential of position players though.

For the pitchers, Singer looks like the safe bet to be a pretty good pitcher. Hankins meanwhile has superstar potential. Good movement on a fastball that is probably major league ready and I like how he switches up his delivery to throw hitter off.

New mlb.com list

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/262831302/ml...prospects-list/

Surprised they have it so pitching heavy, they don't seem to love the hitters of the class. I don't think that 4 out of the top5 go pitching though, even if the hitters are not super exciting. Especially surprised no college Bat in top10. I get it is not a super exciting class for college bats but while they may have less upside the bust risk is also much lower than high school hitters or pitchers. I'm sure some teams in the top10 will consider that and prefer lower risk (and faster ETA) bumping up some of the college bats who have a good year late.

Edited by GermanSock

Top 4 right now:

Ethan Hankins

Nander De Sedas

Nolan Gorman

Brice Turang

I haven't watched much of Liberatore yet, but from the little I watched yesterday, he looks like a pretty nice prospect as well. He might bump someone off this list for me.

Edited by Dunt

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 5, 2017 -> 09:05 AM)
Top 4 right now:

Ethan Hankins

Nander De Sedas

Nolan Gorman

Brice Turang

I haven't watched much of Liberatore yet, but from the little I watched yesterday, he looks like a pretty nice prospect as well. He might bump someone off this list for me.

Madrigal seems to be underrated due to his size, but the guy can hit.

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Dec 5, 2017 -> 07:00 AM)
New mlb.com list

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/262831302/ml...prospects-list/

Surprised they have it so pitching heavy, they don't seem to love the hitters of the class. I don't think that 4 out of the top5 go pitching though, even if the hitters are not super exciting. Especially surprised no college Bat in top10. I get it is not a super exciting class for college bats but while they may have less upside the bust risk is also much lower than high school hitters or pitchers. I'm sure some teams in the top10 will consider that and prefer lower risk (and faster ETA) bumping up some of the college bats who have a good year late.

Doesn’t seem to be a ton of separation in this draft, but looks like we will end up adding another top 100 overall prospect to our system at #4 overall right away. High school talent is ranked higher than college tallest for now. These lists always dramatically change by draft day.

Casey Mize is a player I have read up on and like. Players that can dominate in the SEC (best conference in NCAA) have a solid track record of success. The only thing holding him back are a few injury issues.

Edited by steveno89

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 5, 2017 -> 08:14 AM)
Madrigal seems to be underrated due to his size, but the guy can hit.

He has absolutely no power though, and if he's going to be 2B only, I need some power out of him

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 5, 2017 -> 10:13 AM)
He has absolutely no power though, and if he's going to be 2B only, I need some power out of him

Scouts think he has the ability to play SS, just hasn't to be a good team player. I'd be okay with him becoming the 2014 or 2015 version of Jose Altuve or a 2007-2009 Dustin Pedroia. There's also the chance that, like Altuve, he suddenly develops power in his prime. I'd be happy with he, De Sedas, one of the LHSPs, or Gorman if the scouting staff thinks highly enough of him to take him that high.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 09:16 PM)
Funny section from a Sullivan Fangraphs chat

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/jeff-sulliv...phs-chat-12117/

I would totally do that trade

I'd do that in a heartbeat.

You can patch together those innings you're losing and again, it's not like the Sox are playing for anything

Jim Callis‏Verified account @jimcallisMLB 2h2 hours ago Jim Callis Retweeted DJ

No because I knew Beer was polarizing after another rough summer with @USABaseballCNT. If you like him, you look at the Clemson number and believe the power plays. If you don't, you wonder how much he'll hit with wood. Offers little beyond the bat. @MLBDraft

MLBPipeline just put out a first 10 picks mock: http://m.mlb.com/news/article/262843418/20...picid=151437456

Callis has us taking De Sedas while De Sedas was already off the board for Mayo who has us taking Jackson Kowar.

Both had Singer at #1 and Hankins at #2 or #3, so gone before us. Both also were low on Gorman who they ranked high on the top 50.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Dec 5, 2017 -> 12:40 PM)
Scouts think he has the ability to play SS, just hasn't to be a good team player. I'd be okay with him becoming the 2014 or 2015 version of Jose Altuve or a 2007-2009 Dustin Pedroia. There's also the chance that, like Altuve, he suddenly develops power in his prime. I'd be happy with he, De Sedas, one of the LHSPs, or Gorman if the scouting staff thinks highly enough of him to take him that high.

yes, especially with the mlb ball he could develope some Pop and hit 15+ bombs per year eventually. however with his size there is a Chance the power doesn't come and while some think he can Play SS there

are not a lot of college SS playing short in the Majors anyway and especially not if they played another Position (most MLB SSs are HS or international Players since the top athletic talents who can Play short and hit

usually don't make the Majors).

that could drop him out of the top5, although I could see a Team taking him early because there is a low bust potential. the pitchers going high might be a good Thing for the sox who really Need a shortstop prospect since one of turang or de sedas will likely still be on the board when they pick.

now they could go with another Player and even a pitcher if they think he is clearly BPA, but if several are perceived similar I think they could go with the organisational Need at SS.

Edited by GermanSock

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 06:30 AM)
yes, especially with the mlb ball he could develope some Pop and hit 15+ bombs per year eventually. however with his size there is a Chance the power doesn't come and while some think he can Play SS there

are not a lot of college SS playing short in the Majors anyway and especially not if they played another Position (most MLB SSs are HS or international Players since the top athletic talents who can Play short and hit

usually don't make the Majors).

that could drop him out of the top5, although I could see a Team taking him early because there is a low bust potential. the pitchers going high might be a good Thing for the sox who really Need a shortstop prospect since one of turang or de sedas will likely still be on the board when they pick.

now they could go with another Player and even a pitcher if they think he is clearly BPA, but if several are perceived similar I think they could go with the organisational Need at SS.

Sox are probably looking for an up the middle high school talent, but I wouldn't rule out them selecting a college arm that could potentially fast track to the majors either.

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 11:44 AM)
At this point I would be fine with absolutely any position as long as they aren't picked because of their athleticism.

Always take BPA but the Sox system desperately lacks athletes

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 01:34 PM)
Always take BPA but the Sox system desperately lacks athletes

That's what we drafted before in Courtney Hawkins, Keenyn Walker, Jared Mitchell, look at how that has turned out. Not saying I don't want great athletes in the system, but give me the good baseball player who knows how to hit a ball very well and competent on defense.

If those players aren't that athletic though we'll just end up with a bunch of corner infield types that all need to have tremendous bats to be valuable.

A lot of really good baseball players are really athletic.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 03:05 PM)
That's what we drafted before in Courtney Hawkins, Keenyn Walker, Jared Mitchell, look at how that has turned out. Not saying I don't want great athletes in the system, but give me the good baseball player who knows how to hit a ball very well and competent on defense.

We have athletes in guys like Tim Anderson and Yoan Moncada too. It is way too simplistic to just say no athletes.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 04:22 PM)
We have athletes in guys like Tim Anderson and Yoan Moncada too. It is way too simplistic to just say no athletes.

While Anderson was very raw...I think Mitchell and Walker were primarily speed guys and still think that Achilles injury f***ed Mitchell...Hawkins just never came along...too raw

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 7, 2017 -> 03:05 PM)

The organization and its infrastructure have changed a lot since then, let's not ignore that fact.

And just because those guys didn't work out it doesn't mean that they should avoid 'athletes'. Using your logic, the Sox shouldn't go after any left-handed power hitters because Adam Dunn and Adam LaRoche didn't work out. That's not smart.