2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

Considering some say Jenista and Bohm are both future 1B, Beer could be the fourth college 1B off the board if these rankings stood. That's quite a drop. But looking at the draft as a whole, usually a little more than half the picks before our second round pick are college players, and we will probably have a pick around 45, so college players that would be available would probably be in the mid-20s in these rankings.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/2018-...yTJUTcBp41Ai.97

BA Hish School Top 50. Top 3 of Hankins, Turang, and Nolan Gorman. Kelenic checks in at #5. The Gorman ranking is interesting. I really like his bat, but I think most thought he couldn't stick at SS, so if he can I really like him.

Other names of note:

Triston Casas @ 14

Alek Thomas @ 20

Joe Gray Jr. @ 28

Edited by GenericUserName

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Sep 28, 2017 -> 01:44 PM)
Considering some say Jenista and Bohm are both future 1B, Beer could be the fourth college 1B off the board if these rankings stood. That's quite a drop. But looking at the draft as a whole, usually a little more than half the picks before our second round pick are college players, and we will probably have a pick around 45, so college players that would be available would probably be in the mid-20s in these rankings.

All 30 teams will have 1st round picks this year. The teams that were comp round B last year will be Comp Round A this year which is 8 teams. Out of all the free agents that might receive Qualifying Offers (Hosmer, Moustakas, Cain, Arrieta, Cobb, Cueto, Lynn, Tanaka, Davis) Kansas City, St Louis, and Tampa Bay are only teams that might get picks after round 1. That would add 5 more picks to end of round. Sox 2nd pick should be between 44-50 somewhere.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 08:42 AM)
http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/2018-...yTJUTcBp41Ai.97

BA Hish School Top 50. Top 3 of Hankins, Turang, and Nolan Gorman. Kelenic checks in at #5. The Gorman ranking is interesting. I really like his bat, but I think most thought he couldn't stick at SS, so if he can I really like him.

Other names of note:

Triston Casas @ 14

Alek Thomas @ 20

Joe Gray Jr. @ 28

Thomas is a nice underslot in round 2 or 3. Then they can give his day a huge pay raise to make up for it.

If we do get someone like Hankins at lower slot, going to be a lot of fun to be able to get a round 2 of a Joe Gray Jr. That's what makes this draft interesting. This 2nd round is going to have a lot of prep players that maybe would have been in the teens the past few years.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 10:34 AM)
If we do get someone like Hankins at lower slot, going to be a lot of fun to be able to get a round 2 of a Joe Gray Jr. That's what makes this draft interesting. This 2nd round is going to have a lot of prep players that maybe would have been in the teens the past few years.

White Sox 2nd rounder will likely be in the 42-46 range.

I think the priority should the the first pick and not the over slot signing in the second round. Now if you can do both that is ideal but the over slot thing makes most sense if you have a comp pick in the 20s because the new cba likely means less players dropping due to signability issues.

Definitely don't sign a mediocre top pick for a second rounder.

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 11:17 AM)
I think the priority should the the first pick and not the over slot signing in the second round. Now if you can do both that is ideal but the over slot thing makes most sense if you have a comp pick in the 20s because the new cba likely means less players dropping due to signability issues.

Not advocating "mediocre" top pick. But the HS top picks recently have taken lower amounts, than what we've seen from the top college pitchers like McKay/Wright.

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 11:17 AM)

So far in the rebuild the Sox have definitely concentrated on bringing in the best talent, and not the most amount of talent in their deals.

If we end up going pitcher or infielder in the first round, which it seems like we will, Thomas or Gray Jr. in the second round would be a nice high upside outfield talent to develop. Something else we have to consider for guys like Gray Jr though is whether they will sign if they aren't first round picks or if they think they can go to college and really help their stock.

QUOTE (Quin @ Sep 28, 2017 -> 11:01 AM)
Now I keep hoping Beer is available in round 2...

Yea, what a trip - currently listed at #20 on that overview of the top college players ( for those who didn't bother clicking the link ).

Perhaps it isn't too gaudy to hope Beer himself tanks next year and we're able to snatch him in the second. Stranger things have happened. :lol:

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Sep 28, 2017 -> 11:44 AM)
... we will probably have a pick around 45 ...

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 07:49 AM)
Sox 2nd pick should be between 44-50 somewhere.

Uh - was it really necessary to "correct" GenericUserName... you're both basically saying the same exact thing.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 08:56 AM)
White Sox 2nd rounder will likely be in the 42-46 range.

Man, you're really on the ball with this one! :bang

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 09:25 AM)
Nick Madrigal appears to be high in everyone's rankings and has drawn comps to Altuve and Pedroia. He seems to be the type of player the new Sox evaluation system would value very highly.

Good call man - if Madrigal has that type of potential, I'd be all for him joining our infield in the future. Who'd move to third?

I don't know enough about him to even speculate if he projects to be better than Anderson at SS... if the Sox would Moncada be willing or confident in his skills at third... if Timmy could indeed play center as some have speculated... or if Madrigal himself has the chops to stick out there.

Boy, we're going to have some interesting positional "log jam-esq" problems soon if the next couple of years unfold like they can.

:headbang

I'd be up for selecting Madrigal just because it'd be fun to hear his name announced during games for the next ~7 years.

Edited by hi8is

The closer this season gets to its conclusion, the more contented I am with our position in this draft class. Hahn and Co. have been singing the "deep draft, no clear number 1" tune for sometime... and that mantra is beginning to finally sink in for me.

Say that hypothetically we're selecting in the 4th slot and the first 3 picks go down like this:

1.) Singer

2.) Madrigal

3.) Turang

I'd then be stoked for them to pick up Hankins, Kelenic, Kowar, Rocker, and even Beer if his 2018 performance puts him back in the top mix.

An interesting guy to watch will be Tristan Beck. I'm in no way suggestion him as an option for our top pick but it'll be fun to follow him.

Just gotta put the faith in Hostetler that they'll get the PBA with our #1 selection... even if it isn't ending up being the 1:1 slot. :crying

Love how as soon as Hahn says he wants a Top 3 pick his team puts up their first winning month of the season

Frankly, I don't give a f***, I'd rather see a competitive club that shows promise for '18

Pick 4/5 has been clinched

Beer would like real nice there

Edited by ChiSoxJon

I dont love madrigal. Yeah the altuve/Pedrosa comp sounds exciting and he certainly can hit but the odds for undersized 2b only types is not great. Pedroia and altuve absolutely hit 100% of their potential, I prefer a guy who at least has shortstop potential and a higher power floor, I. E a more classic middle IF prospect.

Yeah with the new ball we have seen undersized guys growing into power before but at his size there is a good chance he doesn't grow into power and then there isn't anywhere to go for him. I have more confidence into a classic big shortstop type like correa, seager, tulowitzki to grow into power.