2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

Kiley McDaniel

@kileymcd

57s

Mountain Ridge HS (AZ) lefty Matthew Liberatore had some 1-1 hype after a great debut, had a sharp first inning today 92-95, flashed 60 CB and 55 CH. Has been out of sorts rest of the way, mostly 89-91 getting by w/good CB. Still really talented just not up to expectations today

Michael Lananna

@mlananna

2m

Replying to @mlananna

Matthew Liberatore hasn't had his best stuff today, yet he's still struck out six in a row. He's a dude. If I'm drafting, I'm taking him 1-1. Polished lefty with four pitches, a fastball up to the mid-90s, generally good command, great feel and projectable. #MLBDraft

Thanks for posting. Interesting to see the shakeout of players, but their comments under their picks for the sox were pretty off-base.

Would sox fans actually hate madrigal? If he's good you'll find a place for him. We had a pretty good view of how the championship series teams were able to just find spots for best players on field int he last playoffs.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 28, 2018 -> 04:18 PM)
Thanks for posting. Interesting to see the shakeout of players, but their comments under their picks for the sox were pretty off-base.

Would sox fans actually hate madrigal? If he's good you'll find a place for him. We had a pretty good view of how the championship series teams were able to just find spots for best players on field int he last playoffs.

I like Madrigal plenty. I think lots of folks would get hung up on the small stature, high floor, and unflashy tools that you get with him though.

MLB Pipeline

@MLBPipeline

Matthew Liberatore lived up to the hype on the big stage of the #NHSI18:

7 IP

2 R

1 H

1 BB

1 HBP

10 K

101 pitches

63 strikes

This was without his best stuff or his best velocity for those that didn't watch. His pitchability was on full display here.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Mar 28, 2018 -> 04:40 PM)
MLB Pipeline

@MLBPipeline

Matthew Liberatore lived up to the hype on the big stage of the #NHSI18:

7 IP

2 R

1 H

1 BB

1 HBP

10 K

101 pitches

63 strikes

This was without his best stuff or his best velocity for those that didn't watch. His pitchability was on full display here.

Ugh... figures I was all in on him on the fan bandwagon for quite a while and now he's getting 1-1 hype. :angry:

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 28, 2018 -> 09:02 PM)
Ugh... figures I was all in on him on the fan bandwagon for quite a while and now he's getting 1-1 hype. :angry:

Anyone that we want at #4 is probably going to get at least some 1-1 hype. That said, a lot of people are connecting him to the Giants and it might end up being the case where they tell him he won't make it past them.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 28, 2018 -> 03:18 PM)

I love Madrigal's profile, but I can understand why people dont. There are no real weaknesses to his game and I feel most confident that of all the hitters in this draft, he will be the biggest lock to hit in the majors. Moncada is the 2B of the future for the Sox, but I would have no problem drafting Madrigal and, at the very worst, having him try manning SS or trading him for other pieces.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Mar 29, 2018 -> 06:44 AM)
I love Madrigal's profile, but I can understand why people dont. There are no real weaknesses to his game and I feel most confident that of all the hitters in this draft, he will be the biggest lock to hit in the majors. Moncada is the 2B of the future for the Sox, but I would have no problem drafting Madrigal and, at the very worst, having him try manning SS or trading him for other pieces.

Right. Presumably people will buy his bat if we draft him, and considering the DeJong and Senzel experiments, people should be more open than ever to try guys back at SS (esp. with shifting)

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 28, 2018 -> 04:18 PM)

Madrigal has been the guy I've wanted all along. Something about him screams he's going to be the next Altuve to me.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Mar 29, 2018 -> 10:50 PM)
Teddy Cahill

@tedcahill

Alec Bohm just went deep for Wichita State. Big blast to RCF. Wichita State leads 1-0 in the first. That's his sixth of the year. Just keeps climbing on draft boards

Bohm reminds me of Michael Morse

Callis been giving his take on Madrigal today. Context is the possibility of him going 1.1.

Jim Callis

@jimcallisMLB

I know what you're saying. But Altuve's path is one of a kind ... A 5-foot-7 guy who may profile better at 2B, you just don't see that type of guy going No. 1 overall. Nick Madrigal can play, no question. Just don't see him going 1-1. @MLBDraft

Jim Callis

@jimcallisMLB

Albies & Madrigal aren't going to have Altuve's power. Bet the under on a small 2B having a .200 ISO every time. My initial comment wasn't meant to denigrate anyone, just to say that profile is not going to wow a team drafting No. 1 overall.

Edited by DirtySox

I know these rankings can & will change, but who are the top four guys at the moment?

Mize, Liberatore, McClanahan, & Hankins/Gorman?

Obviously it seems like we’ll probably end up with a pitcher and I’m fine with that. Adding another elite pitching prospect will give us the depth to move some arms to add a cost-controlled bat when the time is right.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 12:10 PM)
I know these rankings can & will change, but who are the top four guys at the moment?

Obviously it seems like we’ll probably end up with a pitcher and I’m fine with that. Adding another elite pitching prospect will give us the depth to move some arms to add a cost-controlled bat when the time is right.

Sounds about right. Might throw a Madrigal in there. Feel like the Hankins injury dropped his stock a bit. The buzz isn't there at the moment.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 30, 2018 -> 12:10 PM)

I'd say probably drop Gorman too, at least for now. There is concern from some about his ability to stay at third and some questions about his contact again. I bet we here more when all the scouts get back from NHSI, but for right now there does seem to be some growing uncertainty.

My prediction for the next month or so is that Mize is going to continue to rise and establish himself as the #1, Liberatore will be linked to the Giants more, and McClanahan is going to establish himself as the best option available at #3. Eierman and Bohm are going to get talked about a ton, but both will fall off a little bit when scouts start scrutinizing them more.