2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 08:22 PM)
With the bat that Beer has he will go top 10.. I wouldn't even hate it if the Sox reached and took him at 4. He's that good of a hitter. He won't last past 10 despite his defensive... shortcomings?

:lolhitting

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 07:22 AM)
I think Beer can still go first round with a strong second half to this college season. He could very well end up with Rooker type numbers by season’s end and he’s a year younger than Rooker at the time of the draft.

Maybe he figured something out? Will see..

http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/acc...e207677944.html

Yeah I think he can go into the late first too. But he's not going top ten.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 08:20 AM)
I really want Brett Spillane from Illinois. Just go look up his numbers and then pick up your jaw from the floor.

There's way too much swing and miss in his profile. His K rate is near 30% in college.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 09:29 PM)
For college is stats havent been particularly great for 2 years. Check out how insane rookers stats were last year. He was a second round pick.

Sox picking beer at for would be incredibly strange.

With the absolute zero value of position-less hitters at the major league level, it would shock me to see a guy who falls somewhere around Jose Abreu at his ceiling get picked in a high setting.

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 08:22 PM)
With the bat that Beer has he will go top 10.. I wouldn't even hate it if the Sox reached and took him at 4. He's that good of a hitter. He won't last past 10 despite his defensive... shortcomings?

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 08:26 PM)
honestly wouldn't complain either

I have a theory that if his name wasn't "Beer" we wouldn't even be talking about taking him that early.

Edited by soxfan2014

BA was the high group on Singer for a while so it's notable to see that correction.

I don't know about our pick of McClanahan. I love the stuff, I think he'd bein majors soon. I don't know that the sox would take a TJ guy. I still think sox may cut a deal with Turang and really play deep in this draft.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 10:17 AM)

McClanahan is my top choice if they go pitcher, so no qualm here. He fits the White Sox profile pretty well. If anyone can fix his command issues, it's them. Also interesting that the industry still sees Brady Singer as a top guy. Not as big of a slide as some would think. Also noteworthy that Gorman isn't even in this mock, and that Bohm has moved into top 10 consideration.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Apr 1, 2018 -> 08:49 PM)
Truth. White Sox used this same trick to dupe teams into not drafting Kenny William's son. They swooped in like bandits and stole him in the later rounds.

Oh man...this post cracked me up. Hilarious.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 06:16 AM)
But, again, that was not the suggestion. The suggestion was that Thomas says he wants to go to college and does not want to be drafted as a ruse to have him last until the second round when the Sox draft him. That is quite different from your scenario. And, I guarantee you if something like this happens where the Sox take him in the second round and he told teams not to draft him because he wanted to play in college, MLB would investigate immediately and the Sox would be punished heavily for doing something like that.

How is it much different than an Eli Manning or John Elway making very public statements around what team drafts him. Ultimately in the draft, I think teams can do all kinds of work around deals, etc. I mean you have pre-draft deals agreed to, so I don't see how this would actually be a violation of the rules. The reality is it is up to teams to call Thomas bluff or any other player who pulls that sort of card.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 11:32 AM)
BA was the high group on Singer for a while so it's notable to see that correction.

I don't know about our pick of McClanahan. I love the stuff, I think he'd bein majors soon. I don't know that the sox would take a TJ guy. I still think sox may cut a deal with Turang and really play deep in this draft.

I'm thinking this more and more as well

Hahn wants a HS IF (not necessarily Turang) and to keep the system deep and maintain it consistently as a Top 10 farm

Both a HSer in the first and deeper steals with the remaining cash with massive potential would ensure this

Makes plenty of sense to me, much more than taking yet another arm

Keep an eye on Turang, Gorman, and De Sedas at 4

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 11:36 AM)
Get on the Blaze Jordan (MS) bandwagon...the next Bob Horner/Dave Kingman/Pete Incaviglia/Rob Deer, haha.

Actually very intrigued by this kid, have to watch more of him

Seems to be more a slugger and less of a 5 tooler than Harper

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 11:06 AM)
I have a theory that if his name wasn't "Beer" we wouldn't even be talking about taking him that early.

Maybe

But for me I'm hooked on his 2016 stats and highlights

2018 ain't that shabby either

Batting Statistics

Year Team POS AVG OBP SLG OPS GP AB R H 2B 3b HR RBI HP BB SO SB CS

2016 .369 .535 .700 1.235 62 203 57 75 13 0 18 70 15 62 27 1 0

2017 .298 .478 .606 1.084 63 218 51 65 17 1 16 53 14 64 35 2 1

2018 CLEM .284 .441 .632 1.073 28 95 27 27 3 0 10 24 4 25 13 1

It was touched on in the mock draft snippet, but Bohm truly fits the mold of the organization's draft trends of late. Advanced college hitter with great plate discipline and power. Bohm is trending up in all aspects and signs point to top half of the 1st round. I think the only question is the ability to stick at 3B. If he could be at least average there, I would be on board.

Eric A Longenhagen: Kiley and I were talking about it yesterday as we?€re prepping an draft board update. We agree Mize, Bohm and Madrigal are tier 1, Libby, Swaggerty and the rest of the premium college pitching are tier 2. Still time for some of the NE high schoolers to start playing and really blow up.

It would suck if there is an obvious top 3. Either get don't get any of them, or we probably have to go over slot to sign one.

Eric also said he could see Connor Scott going in the top half dozen or so picks, so he might be in that second tier too.

Edited by GenericUserName

Beer now leads the Clemson Tigers in AVG. and Home Runs. Most impressive is that he also has the fewest strike outs, just 13 in 95 at bats, while drawing 25 walks. He has a HR, every 9.5 at bats, while striking out at a 13% rate.

And, all of that, after having been mired in a long slump. If he truly has figured out what he was doing wrong, he could have a terrific season, with a good second half.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 03:23 PM)
Beer now leads the Clemson Tigers in AVG. and Home Runs. Most impressive is that he also has the fewest strike outs, just 13 in 95 at bats, while drawing 25 walks. He has a HR, every 9.5 at bats, while striking out at a 13% rate.

And, all of that, after having been mired in a long slump. If he truly has figured out what he was doing wrong, he could have a terrific season, with a good second half.

That K rate is closer to 10% than 13%. If he keeps hitting, he could be Pavin Smith with raw power potential by the end of the year, and that would certainly push him back up draft boards.

Aaron Fitt

@aaronfitt

9m9 minutes ago

More Aaron Fitt Retweeted Aaron Fitt

By the way, we’ve gotten a lot of questions lately about Jonathan India’s #mlbdraft stock. I agree with @DSeifertD1PBR’s assessment in this piece — he should go in the top half of the first round.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 01:12 PM)
It was touched on in the mock draft snippet, but Bohm truly fits the mold of the organization's draft trends of late. Advanced college hitter with great plate discipline and power. Bohm is trending up in all aspects and signs point to top half of the 1st round. I think the only question is the ability to stick at 3B. If he could be at least average there, I would be on board.

Does Wichita State have trackman set-up? Then the stars would really align.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Apr 3, 2018 -> 01:12 PM)

Another 3B? They just drafted a 3B. I mean if they think he's the next Robin Ventura or something, sure. I'm still hoping for Madrigal or McClanahan at this point.