2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

20 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Swaggerty and a prep would be my guess.  He didn't mention Swaggerty; that makes him my 2nd guess for who the Sox might take.  Swaggerty is kind of hard to gauge; sunbelt isn't a bad league, but it's not one of the top leagues either.  Some say he had a down year, but his stats look about the same to me.

I thought he did name drop Swaggerty in the podcast.

Who he talked about in the podcast was almost exclusively driven by Chuck Garfein, with the exception I believe of him bringing up the U of I guy out of the blue.

It was clear early on that Garfein had drilled down to two players, so that's why he seemed to say "there are more". He also said they hadn't ordered their top 7 yet, he heard from all of their scouts but he hadn't set it.

8 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I thought he did name drop Swaggerty in the podcast.

He name dropped Kelenic for sure. I thought Swaggerty was more Garfien (or Guff, can't remember which).

EDIT: name dropped seeing my boy Liberatore too

Edited by SoxAce

One other interesting thing in that interview I thought. There seems to be a view that the scout writers boards are more volatile than the draft boards of the industry. I didn't get that from Hostetler. He talked about how the performances even this weekend would be a factor, and they were still ordering their top 7.

I still put it as pretty likely that day of the draft we'll hear that Mize is not #1.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

One other interesting thing in that interview I thought. There seems to be a view that the scout writers boards are more volatile than the draft boards of the industry. I didn't get that from Hostetler. He talked about how the performances even this weekend would be a factor, and they were still ordering their top 7.

I still put it as pretty likely that day of the draft we'll hear that Mize is not #1.

I'm still hoping for Madrigal, but feel like Singer (meh) is the choice at this point. Nothing more I'd like to see then Detroit blowing everything up by taking Kelenic number 1.

Just now, DirtySox said:

I'm still hoping for Madrigal, but feel like Singer (meh) is the choice at this point. Nothing more I'd like to see then Detroit blowing everything up by taking Kelenic number 1.

Not sure Detroit going underslot Kelenic would blow up the draft all that much, unless Mize's medicals did not check out. 

4 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Not sure Detroit going underslot Kelenic would blow up the draft all that much, unless Mize's medicals did not check out. 

I mean there is a chance it's not his actual medicals and the fact that detroits system is very pitching heavy and they may just want a safer user of the #1 pick than a pitcher.

6 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

We might draft singer but I'd stress that there is nothing that we know that indicates who we will draft, especially and including the comments from the scouting director and scuttlebutt rumors.

Morning comment storm but the Swaggarty write-up in BA is much more positive than I expected for 11.

After going undrafted out of high school with little to no hype in the scouting community, Swaggerty has become a top-of-the-first-round talent because of his performance at South Alabama and an impressive summer with USA Baseball’s Collegiate National Team in 2017. With Team USA, Swaggerty started in center field and hit near the top of the order, hitting .328/.449/.406. That came after a spring in the Sun Belt Conference where his on-base plus slugging percentage was over 1.000 with 10 home runs. On the national radar after his impressive 2017 campaign, Swaggerty had one of the loudest starts to the 2018 season of any college player, hitting .390/.609/.707 through his first 13 games with three home runs. A five-tool talent, Swaggerty projects as an at least average hitter who has 60-grade running ability, 60-grade defense in center field and an above-average to plus arm. He profiles fairly safely in center field at the next level, and while some scouts have questioned his power potential in the past, he seems to have ticked up in that category early this spring and should have fringe-average to average power. Swaggerty seems to get the most out of his power potential, with 10 home runs during his sophomore season at South Alabama. He has also cut his strikeout rate and improved his walk rate during each of his seasons at South Alabama and in 2018 he is among the nation’s leaders in walks and walks per game. While Swaggerty has cooled off a bit as the season progressed, he seems to be a safe bet as a lefthanded hitting center fielder with a college track record and no real holes in his game.

38 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

It certainly might not change much but if San Fran jumps on Mize, it would mean that one of Bart/Bohm could be available at 4. I wonder how the Sox would view those players in comparison to Madrigal and Singer.

Isn’t Singer projected to be a #3 starter? I realize the other options are not without their criticisms, but taking a pitcher at number 4 with the first thing said about him is his quick availability to get to the majors doesn’t seem like a great choice. I like Madigral to complement our upcoming mashers. If he isn’t available or our guy, I’d still like to take a position player. We have #3 guys in our system, and I think we can add similar upside guys at lower rounds. Singer may be a “safe” pick, but I don’t like it. If they do it, I’ll root him on.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

For someone who has done research on this, but Singer seems like the higher floor, lower ceiling pitcher pick at the top of the draft, no?

Except he has a lot of risk because people think he will end up a reliever because of his delivery, he has never struck out a ton of people which is slightly concerning considering he should be able to with his stuff, he didn't pitch last summer so there are some questions about whether he can handle a full season load, and there were reports of something on his medicals when he was drafted out of HS and that is why he didn't sign. So he is a lower ceiling pick that also has a low floor because of these risks. 

7 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

Except he has a lot of risk because people think he will end up a reliever because of his delivery, he has never struck out a ton of people which is slightly concerning considering he should be able to with his stuff, he didn't pitch last summer so there are some questions about whether he can handle a full season load, and there were reports of something on his medicals when he was drafted out of HS and that is why he didn't sign. So he is a lower ceiling pick that also has a low floor because of these risks. 

And KLaw thinks he's a reliever :)

9 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

I'm still on the position player train entirely, but don't think his strikeout rate is that concerning. 9.41 SO/9 isn't low. He's no Mize, but few are.

Matt D
12:23
I don't get the Brady Singer love. Low 90's fastball, lack of wing a miss stuff. Can't you argue Dane Dunning who was a late 1st rounder when was drafted actually had better stuff then Singer at the time.

Kiley McDaniel
12:24
I would say he definitely had and still has better stuff

3 minutes ago, DirtySox said:
Matt D
I don't get the Brady Singer love. Low 90's fastball, lack of wing a miss stuff. Can't you argue Dane Dunning who was a late 1st rounder when was drafted actually had better stuff then Singer at the time.

Kiley McDaniel

In a year without true "elite" talent at the top of the draft, I think Madrigal pretty much is our guy. Our system lacks depth in the middle infield, and he clearly has the best hit tool in the draft. The speed and defense help him to be a solid overall prospect, even if the power isn't great. He could end up being a pretty fast riser through a minor league system and help contribute at the mlb level fairly soon. 

If he is gone I'd take a look at Bart and Bohm if available.

12 minutes ago, DirtySox said:
Matt D

Kiley McDaniel

Well there it is; + the arm slot.  No
Prefer several others, including India whom I like more than most (will stick at 3rd; maybe but unlikely at short) and could be an under-slot signing.

Edited by GreenSox

Ballsandgutters
12:49
Why are you guys higher on Travis Swaggerty than other?

Kiley McDaniel
12:50
He has maybe the best tools of any position player in the draft and he's performed before, just had some bumps this spring. That rap is super similar to Trea Turner, who like 20 teams mis evaluated and privately would tell you that. Luckily I got to see him as a college freshman/sophomore so I had more context than most national scouts who just focus on draft eligible guys in their draft year

12:52
If you take a step back and ask your scouts why they didn't like Trea Turner and their answer is I saw 13 plate appearances and didn't like it, that's kinda an insane answer when the guy has tools like that and was breaking records statistically, but was banged up/making swing changes on Team USA and the first half of the spring when like 90% of the scouting looks happened.

12:54
For all the truth that scouting can reveal that can't be replaced by numbers, the lack of context and lack of searching for answers to reconcile something that doesn't make sense can often be maddening. Like the two games you saw can tell a kid's entire athletic future on multi-million dollar decisions and that's a good process.
Edited by DirtySox

Yeah I love Madrigal but if some reason the Sox don't I too, hope they go with a hitter.  I like India's versatility albeit with a small track record.  If he put up the numbers he did two years in a row (instead of just the 1) we'd be talking about him at 1-1.  I am fine with that risk.  Give me Madrigal, then India then Bohm/Bart.  I too am not a lover of a Singer selection.

Tim
1:01
On a podcast White Sox scouting director Nick Hostetler said he could see the top 3 getting blown up from the order almost everyone is assuming. Have you heard anything like that and if so, what will be the catalyst of the change?

Kiley McDaniel
1:02
Well Mize not going 1-1 would do that and that seemed like 50/50 a week ago and now is like 90-95% likely to go as expected. I'd guess that's what he meant.