2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

44 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

How do they get a 2-3 WAR player from their own grades? 70 hit 70 speed 60 field 50 game power 50 arm sounds like a 4-5 WAR player to me. 

That’s what I’m not getting at well.  The math doesn’t add up IMO.  Seems like his ceiling would be regular 4 to 5 WAR player with even average game power.

20 minutes ago, raBBit said:

One thing you can take to the bank - Sox are not going high school with the #4.

Backed out of workout with Kelenic and have been absent from Liberatore's later starts in the draft process. 

I'd guess that they're #1 Mize #2 Madrigal #3 Singer/Bohm #4 Singer/Bohm. They have definitely smoke-screened a lot of people the last couple years with Collins (mixed reports with one major outlet saying Sox didn't like him) and Burger (next to no smoke past right place, right time conjecture).

The only lock to be gone by 4 IMO is Joey Bart (he'll be a top 2 pick), I suspect Mize as well but slim chance he falls, my only worry about not getting Madrigal is PHI taking him

7 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

The only lock to be gone by 4 IMO is Joey Bart (he'll be a top 2 pick), I suspect Mize as well but slim chance he falls, my only worry about not getting Madrigal is PHI taking him

All indications as of right now are:

1) Mize to Detroit

2) Bart to SF

3) Bohm to PHI

4) Madrigal to SOX

Really tough to be upset about that. Madrigal seems a pretty safe bet to develop into a solid mlb player given his overall toolset. He likely will never be a superstar, but is the sort of player fans would be very happy to have on the team given his ability to play several positions. Fangraphs would rank him #35 overall prospect right now, 

20 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Love high energy pitchers like Jake Peavy but this is just dumb

There is Jake Peavy and then there is Carlos Zambrano, or the injury risk of a Carlos Quentin. I don't see that video as a positive, although Hostetler loved it. And to be fair to Nick, he has likely had many conversations about and WITH Singer, so he would know more about his make-up than any of us would. 

In that WST Podcast, it was interesting to hear Nick say how much he loved Singer's reaction there, but how when "a high profile top draft pick" from last year threw a tantrum, he was immediately taken off their lists. I guess the difference in Hostetler's mind being that one tantrum was over the game not continuing, the other was over of a bad game.

On 5/29/2018 at 8:13 AM, oldsox said:

Please explain.  Obviously, there are a lot of players bunched together, but I would like to read your thoughts.

I shouldn't have said 1-15 but 6-15.

There seem to be fewer questions marks in that range of players. Kelenic, India, Stewart, Kowar, Swaggerty, Liberatore, Scott to name a few. To me, those guys seem like they have fewer question marks about them. 

8 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

I shouldn't have said 1-15 but 6-15.

There seem to be fewer questions marks in that range of players. Kelenic, India, Stewart, Kowar, Swaggerty, Liberatore, Scott to name a few. To me, those guys seem like they have fewer question marks about them. 

All of those guys have significant question marks. 

India - Is he a one year wonder? He never was this good before

Kelenic - Not a good track record from HS selections from Wisconsin. High School players carry risk.

Liberatore - HS pitching = risky

Stewart - HS right handed pitching is even more risky than left handers.

Swaggerty - Solid toolset, but fairly mediocre production against average competition raises questions

2 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

But then you get Bohm and all is well.

4 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

But then you get Bohm and all is well.

Yea.  And I feel like all the intel hasn't wavered at all on the Bohm/PHI connection.  They've whiffed pretty hard on some recent high draft picks (Go look at Moniak's stat lines), and Bohm is considered a safe demographic for them, which evidently is what they want with this pick. Even if he has to move off 3B.

Edited by DirtySox

14 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Yea.  And I feel like all the intel hasn't wavered at all on the Bohm/PHI connection.  They've whiffed pretty hard on some recent high draft picks (Go look at Moniak's stat lines), and Bohm is considered a safe demographic for them, which evidently is what they want with this pick. Even if he has to move off 3B.

The little video I've seen of Bohm at the plate reminded me a whole lot of Frank Thomas, so if that's the hitter you're getting, I think you'd be okay with having to move him to 1B.

6 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

So there has been a ton of talk about the Giants going underslot with a HS pitcher. If Bart and Madrigal are both available at 4, who would you guys want?

Madrigal easily for this org, less so in general. Questionable hit tools don't do well with the Sox, and MI are more valuable, because if they don't work out at SS or 2B, they can move to 3B or OF. A C who doesn't work out only really has 1B as an option.

3 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

There is Jake Peavy and then there is Carlos Zambrano, or the injury risk of a Carlos Quentin. I don't see that video as a positive, although Hostetler loved it. And to be fair to Nick, he has likely had many conversations about and WITH Singer, so he would know more about his make-up than any of us would. 

In that WST Podcast, it was interesting to hear Nick say how much he loved Singer's reaction there, but how when "a high profile top draft pick" from last year threw a tantrum, he was immediately taken off their lists. I guess the difference in Hostetler's mind being that one tantrum was over the game not continuing, the other was over of a bad game.

You left out a huge part though. He said that the other player sat by himself sulking and brushed off and ignored his teammates. Singer isn't that guy. 

I don't really understand much of the negative reaction to Brady Singer in here. If that's who they choose, I'm totally fine with it. I've seen Fulmer mentioned in here in comparison. Those guys aren't similar at all. Fulmer didn't even throw strikes in college. Singer doesn't walk people and has ideal 6'5 frame and could likely get to 200 pounds or so. 65 FB with tons of life and movement, really good slider graded as plus as well. Needs to work on 3rd pitch. Some reliever risk I guess because of the delivery but I think he's a starter. He could also be in the big league rotation at some point in 2019. I think the pick is going to be one of Singer or Madrigal at this point and I also think we should be happy with either. 

3 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I don't really understand much of the negative reaction to Brady Singer in here. If that's who they choose, I'm totally fine with it. I've seen Fulmer mentioned in here in comparison. Those guys aren't similar at all. Fulmer didn't even throw strikes in college. Singer doesn't walk people and has ideal 6'5 frame and could likely get to 200 pounds or so. 65 FB with tons of life and movement, really good slider graded as plus as well. Needs to work on 3rd pitch. Some reliever risk I guess because of the delivery but I think he's a starter. He could also be in the big league rotation at some point in 2019. I think the pick is going to be one of Singer or Madrigal at this point and I also think we should be happy with either. 

If you're choosing between Madrigal and Singer, Madrigal is the far superior player.

4 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

If you're choosing between Madrigal and Singer, Madrigal is the far superior player.

This is your opinion. He might be. Madrigal can really hit. If he's a 2B with 20 power though I think there's an argument to be made. 

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

This is your opinion. He might be. Madrigal can really hit. If he's a 2B with 20 power though I think there's an argument to be made. 

Yep I'm not convinced one is better than the other.  Would rather have Bohm if he falls.

7 hours ago, GreenSox said:

I don't see why safe, not to mention 'quick to the majors" should be particularly appealing traits with the # 4 pick in the draft.

Is #3 starter ceiling the best use of the #4 pick?

Those traits are not necessarily correlated with "low ceiling"

27 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

No one is grading him as 20 power, nor should they.

That's about as logical as saying "If Singer is 20 control, you don't take him." Well, obviously, but no one is grading him as having 20 control.

Edited by Dam8610

Rank these pitchers:

Pitcher A: 16 G 15 GS 104.2 IP 139 K 21 BB 78 H 29 ER 2.49 ERA 0.95 WHIP 11.95 K/9 1.81 BB/9 6.62 K/BB

Pitcher B: 13 G 13 GS 88.0 IP 92 K 18 BB 59 H 22 ER 2.25 ERA 0.88 WHIP 9.41 K/9 1.84 BB/9 5.11 K/BB

Pitcher C : 15 G 15 GS 102.2 IP 140 K 10 BB 73 H 35 ER 3.07 ERA 0.81 WHIP 12.27 K/9 0.29 BB/9 14.00 K/BB

Edited by Dam8610

2 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Rank these pitchers:

Pitcher A: 16 G 15 GS 104.2 IP 139 K 21 BB 78 H 29 ER 2.49 ERA 0.95 WHIP 11.95 K/9 1.81 BB/9 6.62 K/BB

Pitcher B: 13 G 13 GS 88.0 IP 92 K 18 BB 59 H 22 ER 2.25 ERA 0.88 WHIP 9.41 K/9 1.84 BB/9 5.11 K/BB

Pitcher C : 15 G 15 GS 102.2 IP 140 K 10 BB 73 H 35 ER 3.07 ERA 0.81 WHIP 12.27 K/9 0.29 BB/9 14.00 K/BB

C, A, B

5 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Rank these pitchers:

Stats are not the way to measure draft prospects.  Upside is really important too.