2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

That's what I don't get. Who is going to be sitting there because they required $4 million?

It happens all the time. I don't know who the exact player would be but it happens. If the Sox paid Schnell say $3.5 million, they'd still have $7 million in their pool for rounds 2-10. The possibilities are endless. 

2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

It happens all the time. I don't know who the exact player would be but it happens. If the Sox paid Schnell say $3.5 million, they'd still have $7 million in their pool for rounds 2-10. The possibilities are endless. 

Schnell seems like a solid prospect, but a pretty massive reach at #4 overall despite the pool savings. If we were picking in the teens it could make sense, but not with a top 5 selection. 

2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

What are some examples of this? Cubs in '14 reaching for Schwarber and taking Sands, Steele, and Cease? What else?

5 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

What are some examples of this? Cubs in '14 reaching for Schwarber and taking Sands, Steele, and Cease? What else?

Astros in 2012. Carlos Correa savings to pay McCullers and Rio Ruiz.

Edited by DirtySox

35 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Seems way too risky.  Royals have four picks between #4 & #46 and the Indians & Rays have three each.  If you take Schnell at #4 you have to hit on at least one huge over-slot prep piece at #46 for it to make any sense and those teams mentioned above would have multiple bites at the apple to screw our plan over.

But for arguments sake, what guys would we be looking at with our second round if we took Schnell at #4?

Alex Thomas is the one that makes the most sense, but some work would have to happen as it doesn't sound like he will fall that far.  Maybe if he makes noise about wanting more money or only being drafted by the White Sox?

5 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Daz Cameron was also signed that way, as well as they had signings in place the year they drafted Aiken to do the same, but when the Aiken signing collapsed, the related ones did too.

3 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

But Correa was still a top talent right?  I’m pretty sure he was at least projected to go in the top 10 of that draft if not higher.  Along those lines, I could understand doing a underslot deal with Kelenic if you think there isn’t a huge drop off between him and the college guys but Schnell appears to be a bottom 1st round talent.  Seems like a huge drop-off without any certainty that the guys you want at #46 will be there.

I would not advocate sox trying to do a massive reach like Schnell in a draft like this, where there is quite a bit of available talent anyway in the top 100. If it was a top heavy draft with 30-40 good players and not a lot of depth, then you try it. 

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

But Correa was still a top talent right?  I’m pretty sure he was at least projected to go in the top 10 of that draft if not higher.  Along those lines, I could understand doing a underslot deal with Kelenic if you think there isn’t a huge drop off between him and the college guys but Schnell appears to be a bottom 1st round talent.  Seems like a huge drop-off without any certainty that the guys you want at #46 will be there.

I don't believe he was the consensus #1 player that year IIRC, which is why he signed a ton under the top slot.

12 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

In case anyone was wondering, Singer will be pitching Saturday. Last start before the draft. Time to nitpick!

hopefully the weather is nice and Singer doesnt lose his goddamn mind

• Like 1

Correa got somewhere between #3 & #4 pick money and still saved the Astros $2.4M.  That strategy was more doable before because the top couple picks had much higher slots values relative to the next picks than they do now.  Now you have to drop down way deeper into the first round to get those kinds of savings.

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Some of the stuff Callis has been tweeting lately sounds almost like Onion-style trolling. What MLB executive would ever accept that as a reason for a guy not play SS?

What was the other one -- where he said they Sox should draft a pitcher because they need pitchers, then finished the tweet with "you don't draft for need at #4"?

3 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

I personally think Singer is the most polished arm in this Draft and rate him above Mize, maybe doesn't throw as filthy of a pitch but much more sound, mechanics are a slight worry, especially at 4 but he's the top arm to me

Both of them should have an ETA of 2020

What makes you think that? From everything I've listened to/read, Mize seems like one of the most polished prospects ever. The main knock on him seems to be, in fact, that there's no upside because the repertoire and body are so settled and polished.

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I think and have thought that Brady Singer is their guy. If Mize, Madrigal and Singer are somehow off the board though or if they don't want Madrigal, I could be talked into Nick Schnell at #4. If he were willing to take $3.5 million to be the #4 pick, I'd consider it. That gives them $3 million to play with. You could theoretically sign the 2nd and 3rd rounder for over $2 million a piece or really splurge at #46 and pay someone like $4 million. It's an interesting way to maybe get two top 30 talents instead of a top guy that you might not love anyway. 

Based on what I've read, it seems to be a particularly bad year for that strategy, because the Royals and Rays have so many picks between the first and second rounds (and so much extra pool money), that they're extremely likely to pop all the best "surprise fallers" well before the Sox get to pick again at 46

4 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

And then the 2019 cycle begins. 

Adley. Rutschman.

4 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

India>Bohm and India doesn't deserve to go that high

This seems like prospect fatigue to me. Bohm clearly has the better track record and the body is much more projectable as a middle of the order bat. Plus India has a 20% K rate. That's kind of high for college. Bohm's K rate is 10.53%

16 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

What makes you think that? From everything I've listened to/read, Mize seems like one of the most polished prospects ever. The main knock on him seems to be, in fact, that there's no upside because the repertoire and body are so settled and polished.

Singer's consistent success year to year and consistency this year lead to believe such

1 hour ago, DirtySox said:

That's right, I know there's been more but anyone else we can think of?

Funny how these "reaches" are pretty good ballplayers (I didn't like either on Draft Day TBH)

13 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Adley. Rutschman.

This seems like prospect fatigue to me. Bohm clearly has the better track record and the body is much more projectable as a middle of the order bat. Plus India has a 20% K rate. That's kind of high for college. Bohm's K rate is 10.53%

India is in the toughest conference as well, really do think perhaps both are overrated but the class isn't too top heavy

44 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Correa got somewhere between #3 & #4 pick money and still saved the Astros $2.4M.  That strategy was more doable before because the top couple picks had much higher slots values relative to the next picks than they do now.  Now you have to drop down way deeper into the first round to get those kinds of savings.

This is the important context. The slot amounts changed with the new CBA. We previously could have taken someone comparable to our slot such as Liberatore, India, Swaggarty etc and got huge savings, much less now. 

5 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Singer's consistent success year to year and consistency this year lead to believe such

I mean I think there a lot of guys that are consistently successful at lower levels. To say a guy is "polished," though, you are saying that his repertoire/command/maturity/etc. have reached or nearly reached their ceiling, which can be good or bad thing depending upon context.