2018 MLB Draft

Boopa1219

8 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

I mean I think there a lot of guys that are consistently successful at lower levels. To say a guy is "polished," though, you are saying that his repertoire/command/maturity/etc. have reached or nearly reached their ceiling, which can be good or bad thing depending upon context.

I think his repertoire and command are near their ceiling, maturity we'll see

2 hours ago, WhiteSoxfan1986 said:

I understand you want the best players available, but at the same time the Sox need to hit on this pick and I'm not sure I want to risk it on a pitcher (how has Fulmer worked out?). College bats are the safest route to go. I'm going to be pretty disappointed if they pass on Madrigal/Bohm.

Basing the risk on a single player whose story is not yet complete seems all kinds of silly.

In case anyone wanted the BA Nick Schnell scouting report. Currently ranked 34th for what it's worth.

Nick Schnell

Notes:

School: Roncalli HS, Indianapolis
Ht: 6-2 | Wt: 180 | B-T: L-R | Commit/Drafted: Louisville
Scouting Report: Schnell has done more than perhaps any prep hitter to improve his draft stock since last summer, going from a player with a real shot to enroll at Louisville to now being one of the most interesting bats in the class. All he has done since the fall is hit, hit and then hit some more. After a few solid but unspectacular summer events, Schnell began to hit for extra bases with regularity to all fields, using extremely loose hands and a fantastic feel to barrel the baseball. He has continued to hit this spring and was one of the best players at Prep Baseball Report’s Midwest Select event where many crosscheckers and higher-level decision-makers were in attendance. Schnell might not be a true plus runner, but he comes close once he’s underway and also has above-average arm strength from the outfield. He has the chance to play center field at least initially, but scouts think he’s likely to move to a corner position in the future.

1 hour ago, Eminor3rd said:

Some of the stuff Callis has been tweeting lately sounds almost like Onion-style trolling. What MLB executive would ever accept that as a reason for a guy not play SS?

What was the other one -- where he said they Sox should draft a pitcher because they need pitchers, then finished the tweet with "you don't draft for need at #4"?

what executive really listens to these guys though? They have their own scouts and development people. There would be reason to have their scouting department if they listened to "experts."

Tim
2:31
So.... Nick Schnell is apparently a possibility at #4. Is that a crazy reach or a super crazy reach?

Eric A Longenhagen
2:33
Not that it isn't true, but we haven't heard that. That wouldn't be my pick at 4.

2:34
In fact, we've heard the opposite, that Schnell is falling down other boards due to perceived risk

2:35
As far as Schnell is concerned from a talent perspective, there are lots of traits similar to Taylor Trammell a few drafts ago. Has that Trammell/Austin Meadows look at the plate, pull power, runs well, mostly gap-oriented swing. Like the player, just not at 4 given all the risk
Edited by DirtySox

Re Schnell from Longenhagen:

Tim
So.... Nick Schnell is apparently a possibility at #4. Is that a crazy reach or a super crazy reach?

Eric A Longenhagen
Not that it isn't true, but we haven't heard that. That wouldn't be my pick at 4.

Just now, DirtySox said:
Tim

Eric A Longenhagen

Beat me to it.

Just now, maggsmaggs said:

Beat me to it.

He added another comment. Worth noting. Edited my post as well.

Eric A Longenhagen

2:34
In fact, we've heard the opposite, that Schnell is falling down other boards due to perceived risk

Last part of the Schnell answer

As far as Schnell is concerned from a talent perspective, there are lots of traits similar to Taylor Trammell a few drafts ago. Has that Trammell/Austin Meadows look at the plate, pull power, runs well, mostly gap-oriented swing. Like the player, just not at 4 given all the risk

Harold
2:38
Would Brady Singer be a brutal pick for the White Sox? Reminds me of the Carson Fulmer pick.

Eric A Longenhagen
2:39
To me, the Fulmer pick was much different.

Fulmer was weird, teams thought he was a reliever. Nobody thinks Singer's a reliever they just aren't super excited by him.

2 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:
Harold
2:38
Would Brady Singer be a brutal pick for the White Sox? Reminds me of the Carson Fulmer pick.

Eric A Longenhagen
2:39
To me, the Fulmer pick was much different.

Fulmer was weird, teams thought he was a reliever. Nobody thinks Singer's a reliever they just aren't super excited by him.

Doesn’t Law think he is a reliever?

Litmus
2:57
Mayo had mentioned the White Sox heavily being on Schnell. How big of a reach would that be at 4? Could he around at 46 as well?

Eric A Longenhagen
2:58
I know huge heat from other teams in the top 10 have seen him but we just assumed it was for their next picks and I still do

Cheez
3:08
Any new top of the draft buzz for us? I hunger.

Eric A Longenhagen
3:10
Some stuff swirling that I'm skeptical of. Still think Mize, Bart, Bohm, then Singer and Madrigal in some order, then either Kelenic or India, then either Libyy or Weathers, then Gorman

Looking at last years mocks the day before the draft, Callis and Mayo both had the Twins taking Brendan McKay #1 and B/R had them taking Kyle Wright....and they took Royce Lewis. So what do these guys really know?

Edited by tpezz27

11 minutes ago, tpezz27 said:

Looking at last years mocks the day before the draft, Callis and Mayo both had the Twins taking Brendan McKay #1 and B/R had them taking Kyle Wright....and they took Royce Lewis. So do these guys really know?

No? How would they possibly know.

2 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

No, they are making their best guesses.  

Exactly...guesses. Yet people are assuming they all have these sources and assume it's Singer it's Singer because they mocked him there. They don't know!! And there is no way teams would tip their hand as to who they wanted anyway. Makes no sense.