White Sox win the offseason - again!

VAfan

QUOTE (Moncada @ Dec 10, 2016 -> 09:26 PM)
I honestly believe that if the Sox trade Q for a great package then they will have a legit chance to improve on their finish from last year. I can see a 3rd place finish in the division or even 2nd depending on the performance of the prospects when they hit the big leagues.

So we trade our 3 best players for prospects and we finish second place? I'll have what you're having.

QUOTE (Moncada @ Dec 10, 2016 -> 09:26 PM)
I honestly believe that if the Sox trade Q for a great package then they will have a legit chance to improve on their finish from last year. I can see a 3rd place finish in the division or even 2nd depending on the performance of the prospects when they hit the big leagues.

I want to be optimistic, but this is way too far. The Indians, Royals, and Tigers will all have much better 2017 teams. The Twins might even have a better 2017 team. Personally, I'm hoping the White Sox have the 2018 #1 pick. That will require every team to be better than the 2017 White Sox.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Dec 10, 2016 -> 09:38 PM)
I want to be optimistic, but this is way too far. The Indians, Royals, and Tigers will all have much better 2017 teams. The Twins might even have a better 2017 team. Personally, I'm hoping the White Sox have the 2018 #1 pick. That will require every team to be better than the 2017 White Sox.

Not quite there yet but we're not done dealing yet either.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Dec 10, 2016 -> 10:38 PM)

The way I look at it the Twins have not improved at all and will roughly be about the same. Cleveland will run away with the division again. Tigers will finish in second unless they sell off their stars (which could happen before the season or at the deadline, although I doubt it all together) so if the prospects make the impact that they should we will be competing with KC for 3rd place. Yes we lost our 2 best P's in my scenerio and our CF but I don't think it effects us as much as most people think.

Our biggest problem was the offense (which should be the same or just slightly improved). Our bullpen can't be worse. So I forsee about the same results as last year, maybe a little regression.

With KC they lost one of the most important players from their bullpen which was the strongest aspect of their team. Other than that they are about the same. Thus I see a little regression from them.

It's hard to say when the team will be competitive because it depends on the development of the young players and we need to how continue to develop at the ML level.

But if you put a gun to my head, I would say 2020. Hopefully we get a couple top picks in the meantime

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 11, 2016 -> 12:02 AM)
It's hard to say when the team will be competitive because it depends on the development of the young players and we need to how continue to develop at the ML level.

But if you put a gun to my head, I would say 2020. Hopefully we get a couple top picks in the meantime

If these guys start breaking in mostly by 2018, then 2019 can be our version of the "2015 Cubs".

QUOTE (Moncada @ Dec 10, 2016 -> 09:59 PM)
The way I look at it the Twins have not improved at all and will roughly be about the same. Cleveland will run away with the division again. Tigers will finish in second unless they sell off their stars (which could happen before the season or at the deadline, although I doubt it all together) so if the prospects make the impact that they should we will be competing with KC for 3rd place. Yes we lost our 2 best P's in my scenerio and our CF but I don't think it effects us as much as most people think.

Our biggest problem was the offense (which should be the same or just slightly improved). Our bullpen can't be worse. So I forsee about the same results as last year, maybe a little regression.

With KC they lost one of the most important players from their bullpen which was the strongest aspect of their team. Other than that they are about the same. Thus I see a little regression from them.

Getting the #1 pick is the ideal outcome for jumpstarting this rebuild, so that's the outcome for which I'm hoping.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 10, 2016 -> 05:53 PM)
This is insane man. They are setting themselves up nicely to be pretty good and fun in 2019.

Looking at arrival time lines, plus normal bust rates, 2019 is pretty insane. .500 if everything goes right. 2017 is a wasted year. 2018 will see most of the early players start their first season here. 2019 will start to see the younger players start to hit the majors. Think about it. If they guys in A and High A now go a level a year, that puts them in the majors around Sept of 2018 or 2019. It will take a fair amount of time after that for guys to settle in and learn the league.

After reading the Baumann piece, I think we shouldn't forget or fall asleep on Dunning, Adams, Danish, Stephens, Guerrero, etc.

Think back to 2000. Three finesse pitchers in Buehrle, Fogg and Garland succeeded. You could add Bradford as well. Almost all of the power arms busted or got injured.

In the classes preceding that, you had Sirotka, Snyder and Parque.

We always fall in love with the guys who throw in the high 90's with ace potential, but the Sox have done better with Q and Danks types. Sale is the only truly dominant lockdown starter they've developed in ages.