White Sox sign Derek Holland

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 10:55 AM)
There is going to be an explosion of action fairly soon. There are a lot of teams that have done next to nothing yet.

Agreed. If it wasn't for the Sox, the Winter Meetings would have produced nothing. To be a fan of another team, it was probably considered so boring haha

Edited by soxfan2014

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 10:38 AM)
You do not just trade Sale and Eaton and call it an offseason, that would run counter to performing an impactful rebuild

Trading Eaton and Sale effectively punts on the next two seasons, so why keep players around any longer than they need to be? I will not trade them for less value than they are worth, but by the deadline in 2017 you will see pretty much every tradeable asset moved

Agree..and hopefully Quintana is moved before the start of the season. I keep looking at AL west...The Astros Rangers and even Mariners are reasonably close and someone should push the chips in for him.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 11:36 AM)
Agree..and hopefully Quintana is moved before the start of the season. I keep looking at AL west...The Astros Rangers and even Mariners are reasonably close and someone should push the chips in for him.

The Astros are the only al west team with the prospects to pull off a Quintana deal

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 11:07 AM)
Interested to see what they're paying him. Let's make some guesses.

I will go 1 year / $3.75M, with a $5M club option ($250k buyout) for 2018.

Evan Grant reports that Holland can earn up to $8MM if he maxes out his incentives.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 11:42 AM)
Nah the Rangers could get him too if they really wanted to. The Mariners are a non starter though, Tyler O'Niell is all they have and he's barely on the level of the 3rd pieces available from Houston.

I can't see the rangers putting a package together that wouldn't really hurt their mlb roster

Their farm took a hit with their deadline deal for lucroy and jeffress. Gallo can't hit, don't even talk about profar...

I don't see it working

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 11:45 AM)
$8 million isn't a lot to this team. Plus, if he reaches the $8 million, he would probably be considered a steal knowing that he reached whatever the incentives are.

I mean, I am not bad about it, just seems a bit high. I am guessing the guaranteed amount is closer to $4-$5M, which seems about right.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 11:45 AM)
$8 million isn't a lot to this team. Plus, if he reaches the $8 million, he would probably be considered a steal knowing that he reached whatever the incentives are.

Plus if he pitches that well, he's likely on another team by the end of August.

If he reaches those incentives he almost assuredly pitching somewhere else by the trade deadline. If not the Sox can say they "tried" and thank him for providing (hopefully) around 130-150 innings.

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 11:42 AM)
Nah the Rangers could get him too if they really wanted to. The Mariners are a non starter though, Tyler O'Niell is all they have and he's barely on the level of the 3rd pieces available from Houston.

Kyle Lewis is damn good. He had a torn ACL.. people are acting like the kid completely shredded his knee.

Kyle Lewis is damn good. He had a torn ACL.. people are acting like the kid completely shredded his knee.

You think the Sox will put that kind of value on a guy they had a chance to draft but didnt (and now has a torn ACL)? I dont know, maybe. The Mariners would have to bring in a 3rd team to get Quintana, they just dont have the headliners.