White Sox sign Derek Holland

southsider2k5

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 01:08 PM)
Hahn has already said that Giolito and Lopez will start in AAA.

I'm someone who never cares about "rushing" prospects as I usually feel it's better for development but there's absolutely no reason to start either of them in the majors. No reason to use up service time right now.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 01:10 PM)
I'm someone who never cares about "rushing" prospects as I usually feel it's better for development but there's absolutely no reason to start either of them in the majors. No reason to use up service time right now.

Yep. Someone had a nice post somewhere on here, Moncada, Giolito, Lopez and need to be in the minors until sometime in June to get the extra year. I expect they'll be up sometime after that, if they're performing in AAA.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 12:37 PM)
Some guys that I would like the team to sign are Greg Holland and Tyson Ross.

If the Sox sign them along with Derek Holland, they can flip them at the deadline and clean up assuming that they have productive years. Theo and Jed made a killing making these type of moves

Bingo. It sounds silly/video game like but it's the right thing to do if you're truly committed to rebuilding.

You sell off your assets for whatever (which we are doing) but then you fill your roster with guys who can be good everyday players and make your team not as pathetic as people would assume. Those guys are boom/bust types. The two Holland's, Ross, Rasmus, s*** even a guy like Bautista.

You don't want to go too crazy and build a max 80 win team that kills your draft status by fluke luck, but most of these guys will be off your roster by midseason so you'll come back down to earth.

Theo has done this. Scott Feldman, as an example, was signed to a 1 year 6 mill offer in 2012 - he was turned into Strop and Arrieta.

This is a process you can do a couple times over the next few years. Fill the voids and sell the voids. Once your group is ready, make your real moves to contend.

Edited by HeGone7

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 12:50 PM)
Dude, $8M is nothing. If you think that is expensive on the FA market, the Sox stand no chance of turning this thing around.

Perhaps I used the wrong word. I meant unproductive. If the player performs, they deserve a nice contract. The Sox commonly give money to guys that don't perform to expectations.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 01:51 PM)
Perhaps I used the wrong word. I meant unproductive. If the player performs, they deserve a nice contract. The Sox commonly give money to guys that don't perform to expectations.

He technically is only signed for $6 million if he's bad. If he makes $8 mill due to reaching incentives, it's a steal and he's likely dealt to a contender.

Edited by soxfan2014

I love how so many posters here act like the Cubs are the only team to properly execute a rebuild in the history of the game. Its comical.

I've never lived in Chicago, so I didn't grow up caring much for the Cubs one way or the other, but the obsession some Sox fans seem to have with what the Cubs has done is quite obvious.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 02:11 PM)
I love how so many posters here act like the Cubs are the only team to properly execute a rebuild in the history of the game. Its comical.

I've never lived in Chicago, so I didn't grow up caring much for the Cubs one way or the other, but the obsession some Sox fans seem to have with what the Cubs has done is quite obvious.

Don't blame them. Blame the media. And also ignore the half a billion plus dollars they spent on free agents.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 02:11 PM)

The problem is it's recent and it worked. Expecting similar results isn't being realistic. A lot of stuff usually goes wrong. Some did for the Cubs, but they either are so astute, or got really lucky a few times. I find it hard to believe they knew Arrieta and Hendricks would have put up the seasons they put up when acquired. If Houston drafts Bryant and they take Appel and Arreita and Hendricks pitch like typical throw ins, they are still most likely going through the process.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 10:36 AM)
Not bad if we're trying to tank for Beer.

Agreed need this tank job to go off with out a hitch for Beer. Sign Brett Anderson once Q and MiGo are traded.

I see the M's are looking at the red's as a potential partner MiGo would've been their second best pitcher last year behind Paxton at 2.7 fWAR and is cheap and on a one year deal heres hoping the sox flip him for LHP Luiz Gohara & OF Brayan Hernandez.

Rodon*

Shields

Hooland*

Covey/Beck

Anderson*

Flip or DFA once all of the service time questions are taken care of for Giolito, Lopez & Fulmer.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 10:38 AM)
You do not just trade Sale and Eaton and call it an offseason, that would run counter to performing an impactful rebuild

Trading Eaton and Sale effectively punts on the next two seasons, so why keep players around any longer than they need to be? I will not trade them for less value than they are worth, but by the deadline in 2017 you will see pretty much every tradeable asset moved

If the offers aren't sufficient to move Quintana, you don't move him, end of story. Frazier makes sense to take the best offer you can get and go from there, but the same thing goes for Robertson, maybe even moreso to hang on to him, as the value of a solid reliever has been shown to increase at the deadline, as opposed to during the offseason.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 03:01 PM)
Tyson Ross and Greg Holland are desired assets. They're going to sign with contending teams because they are going to have multiple options. It's easy to point out the guys the Sox should sign for the rebuild but the most desired "flip" candidates are going to sign with contenders.

Watch Ross go to the Cubs and Holland to the Nationals.

I do think both of these moves will happen.

And rabbit, you have anything for us? We're dying here lol

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 12:11 PM)
McMahon is the Rockies guy and yea, he's slid back.

I'm still really intrigued by Gallo. That kind of power in a LH bat to me deserves an extended look, especially since he's only 23 (just turned 23 too). If the Rangers are really giving up on him I would at least explore it, the price for him could be shockingly low.

I wouldn't be against shipping Abreu off to texas for Gallo, Mendez, Martin and Michael De Leon once it all settles, I think EE and Jose go back to Toronto, Trumbo signs with O's and the tribe reup with Napoli leaving the rangers holding the bag at first.