Could you root for Sox losses

Princess Dye

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 09:23 AM)
What's wrong with a Rodon-esque pitcher? His talent is absurd.

I'd be for it if the pitcher is legitimately that good, and not just the best pitcher available. That said, with the talent that is in the system now, if they see a position player and pitcher as having pretty much equal value, I'd want the position player over the pitcher. With Q, Rodon, Giolito, Kopech, Lopez, Fulmer, Hansen, Dunning, and Adams, the White Sox have a lot of arms with high upside as starters at almost every level of the minors. In comparison, the hitting pool is very weak. Anderson, Moncada, Collins, Basabe, Call, Fisher are really about the only ones that excite me at the moment. Hopefully trades will net more hitters to become excited about, but I'd also like to see another bat or two who look like they could develop into franchise cornerstones.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 08:35 AM)
Greg, with the way the White Sox operate, they are finally doing what puts them in the best place to sustain long-term success. They've been bad in years when they've gone for it and haven't reaped any of the benefits of rebuilding (spending a little more internationally, signing guys with the intent of flipping them, trading away valuable assets and sunk cost guys). The Sox have basically been seeing the results at the ML level of a team that is rebuilding without any benefit. Go away for 2 years. Complain about the draft and "prospects". But if they draft a player in 2018 that ends up being a franchise cornerstone I'm going to call you out when you root for that player.

If you are not going to the playoffs you really are better off tanking and landing a top 3 draft pick. The worst thing you can do is get stuck in the middle while trying to compete like we have been doing for years.

Carlos Rodon was absolutely the right draft selection and is still young. He was a good pick.

I think the problem here is there are way too many individuals you hope they either light it up so they get traded for prospects or light it up to take the next step in their development to really then realistically hope they accumulate a ton of losses. If for some reason they traded no one else, for Abreu, Jones, Melky, Frazier, Robertson, Q, Rodon, Anderson, Saladino, Liriano, Lawrie to be what you hope they will be to either max their trade value or get excited about what they will be, and still be in position to have a top 5 draft pick is a little unreasonable.

(Only mentioned 11 players. Caulfield gives it a C-)

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 10:33 AM)
Like a few people have said on here, lucky for us, we don't have to root for or against losses; they will just happen regardless.

I think they should, but what people should really cheer for if they want the Sox to max their draft position is to trade as many of their better players as possible before the games start to count. Hoping to max out on everybody, probably isn't realistic, and they may, if they are maxing out, help you win meaningless games. You can't settle for Q or Abreu or probably Jones. The other short term vets,, if there is anything legit, and the goal is a high pick, you should probably take what you can get. At the very least, you could save their salaries, and spend it on something when you need it.

If you traded Frazier, Melky, and Robertson for nothing at all, you would save around $40 million. Put it in the bank and spend it on a top of the line guy when you need it.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 10:40 AM)
I think they should, but what people should really cheer for if they want the Sox to max their draft position is to trade as many of their better players as possible before the games start to count. Hoping to max out on everybody, probably isn't realistic, and they may, if they are maxing out, help you win meaningless games. You can't settle for Q or Abreu or probably Jones. The other short term vets,, if there is anything legit, and the goal is a high pick, you should probably take what you can get. At the very least, you could save their salaries, and spend it on something when you need it.

I agree. I don't see guys like Gonzalez, Frazier, and Melky really bringing much back if it is now or in June/July.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 10:42 AM)
Personally, it's just not in my DNA to ever turn on a White Sox game and somehow hope that they will lose. I don't care what the state of the team or organization is at that time I turn a game on. I want my team to win - always!

:gosox1:

Agreed. It will just be less disappointing (or not at all) when they do lose.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 10:42 AM)
Personally, it's just not in my DNA to ever turn on a White Sox game and somehow hope that they will lose. I don't care what the state of the team or organization is at that time I turn a game on. I want my team to win - always!

:gosox1:

I feel the same way. If I really wanted them to lose, I really have no reason to pay attention.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 10:42 AM)
I agree. I don't see guys like Gonzalez, Frazier, and Melky really bringing much back if it is now or in June/July.

They are not going to return premium prospects, but they are not worthless either.

Frazier is entering a contract season, and I expect him to do better in his second season with the Sox. Small sample size, but Frazier hit .281 avg - .341 OBP - .526 SLB with 7 home runs in the final 30 games of the season, a positive sign.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 10:42 AM)

An injury in spring training or early in the season to an OF or 3B could make Frazier or Cabrera a very attractive rental replacement for a contender as well. Being able to acquire a capable starter under contract for just 2017 could end up being a godsend if a core player goes down.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 10:55 AM)
An injury in spring training or early in the season to an OF or 3B could make Frazier or Cabrera a very attractive rental replacement for a contender as well. Being able to acquire a capable starter under contract for just 2017 could end up being a godsend if a core player goes down.

But if they are that attractive and worth a better prospect from another team, the White Sox are more than likely winning more games than most imagined. So the idea of a real high draft pick would be by the boards.

It's not "rooting" per se for Sox losses but understanding that they are rebuilding...losses are going to come regardless, probably a LOT of them so you hope the organization can take full advantage of them from a draft position standpoint.

Nobody WANTS to see the Sox lose (save for Cub fans...LOL) but that's the reality of things, you try to make the best of it.

Mark

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 16, 2016 -> 09:02 AM)
But if they are that attractive and worth a better prospect from another team, the White Sox are more than likely winning more games than most imagined. So the idea of a real high draft pick would be by the boards.

So a team that won 78 games last year traded their best pitcher and best Of'er and a good chance to trade their nearly as good as the 1st pitcher 2nd pitcher and possibly their 2 best relief pitchers will win how many games with Melky repeating his last year and Frazier hitting for a bit higher batting average ?