Could you root for Sox losses

Princess Dye

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they stick with Avi for TOO long (as if that hasn't happened already!) and we don't at least take looks at Coats, Engel, May and Davidson, it will be disappointing. By that point (80-100 games), we might all prefer Courtney Hawkins striking out at a 40% clip just to see an occasional prodigious bomb.

It's highly UNLIKELY we'll see another Saladino come out of that bunch, but you just never know.

Shields is a sunk cost, so that's a bit of a different situation since that's simply about recouping ROI or cutting bait. At the very least, he can protect the next wave of starting pitching from being brought up too quickly....along with Holland, Gonzalez and Covey or whatever his name is.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 06:27 PM)
I still expect half of you that are okay with us losing to be b****ing in the game thread about Avi and Shields and whatnot :P

People gotta start learning how to laugh at 0 - 4 with 4Ks and 1 IP with 8 ER

:D

The losing is going to be the interesting thing about this rebuild. Because off trades alone, are we sure we'll churn out value equal to Sale + Eaton? Maybe, but maybe not. And even if we do, that much wasnt enough this past year. Losing would be the least circuitous path to more superstars

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 10:08 AM)
I never want to see the Sox lose, but when there is a generational talent like Seth Beer in the 2018 draft class, I'd be ok if they stunk next year as long as they get him.

Exactly i would bet the vast majority of Nats fans don't recall their s***ty season in '09 but will always remember Harper, even if they don't extend him.

Assuming this team can't compete, I will absolutely root for core players performing well primarily each game. If they end up losing that game, that's fine. If on a given night Rodon dominates for 7 innings, only to have Petricka blow it in a game that Anderson gets 3 hits.....well that's a good night. It's going to be a long two years for people on here if you let losses upset you.

Next season I'm going to be more involved in rooting for individual success (Rodon, Fulmer, Anderson) while also hoping for team losses. I'll be heavily invested in the minors for the first time in a while.

Getting a top 3 pick next draft is going to be very huge for this franchise going forward. Having Beer or Gray will be well worth it.

I hope the Twins get better and the fact that we traded Sale and Eaton, and hopefully Quintana put the Sox in the position to draft #1 in the 2018 draft. I also hope we can unload some guys who are performing well in June as well as July in order to get talent back for them and increase the possibility we get the #1 spot in the draft by having trash out there in August and September.

I hate to say it, but I'm trying to be realistic so what's best for the future might be getting this Seth Beer guy. His name is awesome but if his performance can match the hype then he is a guy we need and I guy I want on this team. It may be a good draft class, and not all would be lost if we drafted in the top 5, but I really think the Sox should just punt this season as much as possible to try and draft this guy. If I go to a game, I'm going to be rooting for a Sox win, but the sting of losing is oh-so-diminished by adding another loss onto the pile of losses we need to be #1 in the draft.

I also really hope they don't call up anyone of significance like Moncada, Giolito and Lopez until 2018, unless they absolutely have to.

Edited by South Sider

QUOTE (South Sider @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 12:09 AM)
I hope the Twins get better and the fact that we traded Sale and Eaton, and hopefully Quintana put the Sox in the position to draft #1 in the 2018 draft. I also hope we can unload some guys who are performing well in June as well as July in order to get talent back for them and increase the possibility we get the #1 spot in the draft by having trash out there in August and September.

I hate to say it, but I'm trying to be realistic so what's best for the future might be getting this Seth Beer guy. His name is awesome but if his performance can match the hype then he is a guy we need and I guy I want on this team. It may be a good draft class, and not all would be lost if we drafted in the top 5, but I really think the Sox should just punt this season as much as possible to try and draft this guy. If I go to a game, I'm going to be rooting for a Sox win, but the sting of losing is oh-so-diminished by adding another loss onto the pile of losses we need to be #1 in the draft.

I also really hope they don't call up anyone of significance like Moncada, Giolito and Lopez until 2018, unless they absolutely have to.

A full season of time in AAA is a Long time to keep someone there, if they're playing ell enough to earn the callup. With what they've already said it seems likely these guys start in AAA and are there at least long enough to give another year of team control - late May. Starting guys in AAA and letting their performance dictate when they get called up would already be dramatically different from the path we've had guys on the last 2 seasons where the needs of the big leagues squad determined who got called up more than if they were ready.

While a #1 draft pick would be nice, if a guy has earned his callup out of that group, call him up. Turning these guys into successful big leaguers is more important to me than picking #1, and they may darn well hit the next level and struggle anyway even if they're succeeding in AAA.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 08:01 AM)
A full season of time in AAA is a Long time to keep someone there, if they're playing ell enough to earn the callup. With what they've already said it seems likely these guys start in AAA and are there at least long enough to give another year of team control - late May. Starting guys in AAA and letting their performance dictate when they get called up would already be dramatically different from the path we've had guys on the last 2 seasons where the needs of the big leagues squad determined who got called up more than if they were ready.

While a #1 draft pick would be nice, if a guy has earned his callup out of that group, call him up. Turning these guys into successful big leaguers is more important to me than picking #1, and they may darn well hit the next level and struggle anyway even if they're succeeding in AAA.

I'm totally fine with calling a player up if they deserve it...as long as we gain the additional year of control. Zero point in burning a year of control though.

Fans will need to be patient, as we will not see most of our shiny new toys at the mlb level this season

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 08:01 AM)

It sounds like this draft has some pretty high impact players anyway. Beer isn't even consensus.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 09:22 AM)
I'm totally fine with calling a player up if they deserve it...as long as we gain the additional year of control. Zero point in burning a year of control though.

Fans will need to be patient, as we will not see most of our shiny new toys at the mlb level this season

There's literally zero reason why anyone should be called up before the end of May and that's the time all these guys hit their extra year of control deadlines anyway. You're off to a great start? That's spectacular, good work. Now go do it for another 1.5 months so I know it's not a fluke and you'll be in the bigs. See how easy that is?

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 04:08 PM)
I don't want to see this team losing for years just to get a high draft choice. How many of those high draft choices turn out to be good? (Remember Jared Mitchell?) I've been told by numerous people that JR hates losing. It'll be curious to see how he reacts if this team keeps losing for years. I still think the team is going to be sold within 3 years. By that time this team won't have any big contracts on the books. It's alot easier to sell a team if it doesn't have any big contracts to payout.

Great post. I can't believe our fans trust our front office to draft the right guy. We'll probably draft a pitcher who is Rodon-esque. I have nothing against Rodon, but...

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 14, 2016 -> 04:22 PM)
Depending on who they trade off, they could easily be a 50-60 win team next season, and I am more than ok with that. I will actually go out to the stadium and have fun again.

You must have a lot of money. You'll "have fun" rooting for a team down 4-0 in the second inning of a Holland or Shields start and 8-1 after 5? You are a helluva fan. I would puke in the scenario I've described after snarfing down a 6 dollar hot dog.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 15, 2016 -> 08:05 PM)
Great post. I can't believe our fans trust our front office to draft the right guy. We'll probably draft a pitcher who is Rodon-esque. I have nothing against Rodon, but...

You must have a lot of money. You'll "have fun" rooting for a team down 4-0 in the second inning of a Holland or Shields start and 8-1 after 5? You are a helluva fan. I would puke in the scenario I've described after snarfing down a 6 dollar hot dog.

Greg, with the way the White Sox operate, they are finally doing what puts them in the best place to sustain long-term success. They've been bad in years when they've gone for it and haven't reaped any of the benefits of rebuilding (spending a little more internationally, signing guys with the intent of flipping them, trading away valuable assets and sunk cost guys). The Sox have basically been seeing the results at the ML level of a team that is rebuilding without any benefit. Go away for 2 years. Complain about the draft and "prospects". But if they draft a player in 2018 that ends up being a franchise cornerstone I'm going to call you out when you root for that player.