Indians sign Edwin Encarnacion

bmags

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 09:23 PM)
I bet Detroit is better than we expect. Royals too.

I dunno...I'm really not all that enamored with Detroit. Seems they're relying really on an aging lineup (sound familiar)? I personally think their rotation blows too. But who knows...

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 09:06 PM)
He still has $20m less in guaranteed money than he would've staying in Toronto.

but he's guaranteed to make the playoffs and have a shot at the WS. He's already made 40mil and is guaranteed 65 more.

List of all the AL Central players that might be available at ASB...

Dozier (if not traded to LAD first)

Erwin Santana/H.Santiago/Gibson/Phil Hughes

Jason Castro

JD Martinez

Kinsler

Verlander

Jordan Zimmerman

Duffy

Cain

Hosmer

Moustakas

A.Escobar

Frazier

Robertson

Me.Cabrera

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Con te Giolito @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 08:35 PM)
Frazier market will probably start heating up a little.

How does this heat up the Frazier market, like, at all? Because they both hit 40 homers? How is that even a hot market?

He'd be an upgrade to quite a few teams, but, even if I agree with them selling on him, he's not going to net a ton. Maybe a couple of 45-50 FV prospects with upside. Guys who are 3-5 years away. I'm OK with that return, but that's not a hot market.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 11:16 PM)
List of all the AL Central players that might be available at ASB...

Dozier (if not traded to LAD first)

Erwin Santana/H.Santiago/Gibson/Phil Hughes

Jason Castro

JD Martinez

Kinsler

Verlander

Jordan Zimmerman

Duffy

Cain

Hosmer

Moustakas

A.Escobar

Frazier

Robertson

Me.Cabrera

Quintana, Abreu, Jones, Jennings, Putnam, Holland, whoever else happens to appear on the White Sox roster between now and July 31st?

I will also bet you dimes to dollars Jason Castro isn't dealt this year, unless the Twins get a package that far outvalues his worth over the last 2 years combined. You typically don't sign a guy to a 3 year contract and then deal him the summer after signing him.

I also don't understand the point of your post and am questionining myself as to why I responded to it.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Dec 22, 2016 -> 09:05 PM)
Hopefully, but there are still plenty of options in Trumbo and Bautista.

I still don't get this logic. How is Frazier comparable? Because he hit some dingers?

Abreu's market makes much, much more sense. Teams looking at Frazier view him as a 3B. How many teams that were in on Encarnacion, Trumbo, Bautista, hell even Carter, view those guys as 3B?

If the Sox were to actually sell Frazier as a 1B, then, even knowing what he did with Sale and Eaton at the Winter Meetings, Hahn should be fired tomorrow, because Frazier is about a 1 WAR player at 1B and the value would be reflected upon that. He's probably about a 2.5-3 WAR player at 3B who had some bad luck with BABIP and good luck with power who can get a top 150 prospect or 2 guys who has 45-50 FV who are a ways away.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 23, 2016 -> 04:21 AM)
I still don't get this logic. How is Frazier comparable? Because he hit some dingers?

Abreu's market makes much, much more sense. Teams looking at Frazier view him as a 3B. How many teams that were in on Encarnacion, Trumbo, Bautista, hell even Carter, view those guys as 3B?

If the Sox were to actually sell Frazier as a 1B, then, even knowing what he did with Sale and Eaton at the Winter Meetings, Hahn should be fired tomorrow, because Frazier is about a 1 WAR player at 1B and the value would be reflected upon that. He's probably about a 2.5-3 WAR player at 3B who had some bad luck with BABIP and good luck with power who can get a top 150 prospect or 2 guys who has 45-50 FV who are a ways away.

I don't think Frazier is going anywhere until at least June. I could only really think of the Giants as a team that could use him if they want to move Nunez into a Baez type role. Maybe the Indians.

Edit: if we let him go after the season and offer a QO and a team over the luxury tac threshold signs him, don't we get two draft picks?

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 23, 2016 -> 04:14 AM)
Quintana, Abreu, Jones, Jennings, Putnam, Holland, whoever else happens to appear on the White Sox roster between now and July 31st?

I will also bet you dimes to dollars Jason Castro isn't dealt this year, unless the Twins get a package that far outvalues his worth over the last 2 years combined. You typically don't sign a guy to a 3 year contract and then deal him the summer after signing him.

I also don't understand the point of your post and am questionining myself as to why I responded to it.

See Post #14

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 23, 2016 -> 04:41 AM)
I don't think Frazier is going anywhere until at least June. I could only really think of the Giants as a team that could use him if they want to move Nunez into a Baez type role. Maybe the Indians.

Edit: if we let him go after the season and offer a QO and a team over the luxury tac threshold signs him, don't we get two draft picks?

Jose Ramirez seems to be settling into that role. For a year or two, everyone was fixed on Chisenhall being the man, but they finally gave up and moved him to RF.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 23, 2016 -> 06:10 AM)
How does this heat up the Frazier market, like, at all? Because they both hit 40 homers? How is that even a hot market?

He'd be an upgrade to quite a few teams, but, even if I agree with them selling on him, he's not going to net a ton. Maybe a couple of 45-50 FV prospects with upside. Guys who are 3-5 years away. I'm OK with that return, but that's not a hot market.

There's finally a price point of comparison for the 1b/DH types. If no one would buy EE, then you can just wait until he falls into Frazier's price range.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 23, 2016 -> 04:10 AM)

Yeah, if anything it throws more water on to the Abreu and Fraizer markets.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 23, 2016 -> 12:57 PM)
Well, Abreu is LIGHT YEARS ahead of Chris Carter as a hitter. That's not really a fair comparison at all.

Certainly but for acquisition costs you would both be paying Abreu more and paying prospects for Abreu. And Carter still gave out a respectable .320 OBP and fantastic .499 slugging last year.

Flawed but cheap player. IF you are a DH away...

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 23, 2016 -> 11:17 AM)
Certainly but for acquisition costs you would both be paying Abreu more and paying prospects for Abreu. And Carter still gave out a respectable .320 OBP and fantastic .499 slugging last year.

Flawed but cheap player. IF you are a DH away...

For sure, but he also hit .199 the year before. He's a .730-800 .OPS player generally, whereas Abreu has the ability to go >850-.950 IMO.

Do they both hit home runs, yes. However, that is where the comparisons end.

I suppose it just depends what the Sox are asking for in Abreu.