President Donald Trump: The Thread

Steve9347

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jan 29, 2017 -> 07:53 AM)
I appreciate your viewpoint, and disagree. The progressive movement has never been more unified than it is right now. A common enemy makes us stronger, and all but guarantees that we will win. It may get worse - a lot worse - before it gets better, but I believe it will if we all stand and do our part.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

The problem is that Trump isn't the enemy for half this country. He's doing all the god awful things his campaign promised he would do. Those of us whose moral code is built around acceptance & tolerance may be up in arms over what is effectively a Muslim ban, but I can promise you there are millions of uneducated hillbillies & straight-up racists who view this as a huge win for our country. How can we overcome this when we're effectively outnumbered?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 29, 2017 -> 09:27 AM)
The problem is that Trump isn't the enemy for half this country. He's doing all the god awful things his campaign promised he would do. Those of us whose moral code is built around acceptance & tolerance may be up in arms over what is effectively a Muslim ban, but I can promise you there are millions of uneducated hillbillies & straight-up racists who view this as a huge win for our country. How can we overcome this when we're effectively outnumbered?

Only outnumbered based on the most recent electoral college. As far as the entire actual population goes, his base is outnumbered.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 29, 2017 -> 10:27 AM)

Trump and his base are WOEFULLY outnumbered. Democrats have won more votes in just about every single election for the last decade - from congress to the white house. Gerrymandering is the only reason we're here today. There are FAR more of us than there are of them. And we're finally getting loud.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 28, 2017 -> 10:18 PM)
@yashar

POTUS signed an order this afternoon which removed the Director of National Intelligence from National Security Council + added Steve Bannon

Congrats. Our Joint Chiefs now have an anti semite.

Oh good the Nazi has even more power now.

Spicer claimed an "imminent threat" prevented them from notifying anyone before this EO.

https://twitter.com/joshrogin/status/825754...src=twsrc%5Etfw

And it appears they're ready to ignore court orders?

https://twitter.com/AymanM/status/825755230...src=twsrc%5Etfw

Merkel had to explain the Geneva convention to trump

https://twitter.com/Kevinliptakcnn/status/8...src=twsrc%5Etfw

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 29, 2017 -> 07:38 AM)
They are too spineless to oppose the party. The threat of losing their support and jobs is too much for them to support what's right. And that's where we are with our government.

If any good comes out of Trump, hopefully it's politicians standing up for what they think is right, regardless of party politics.

I think the idea that all Republicans believe ABC and all Democrats believe XYZ is ridiculous. It's possible for a Democrat to be fiscally conservative or for a Republican to be in favor of "Obamacare." They're just afraid to say it. What we have now is politicians who vote everything according to the party line. Often, that's not best for the people they serve. And they are supposed to be voting with the best interests of their constituents in mind.

Trump is a disaster, but maybe he's doing all a favor by getting people interested and involved in politics.

Edited by Middle Buffalo

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 29, 2017 -> 08:25 AM)
Not sure if this refers to me, as I've voted more R's than D's over the years, but... pretty sure you and I are friends on FB, and you are welcome to see what I said there in the past few days.

This whole thing is abjectly disgusting. Glad a court put a stay on part of it, and hopefully we can slam the rest of it right back up Bannon's ass next week.

I am seeing quite a few Republican politicians put words against it. What should happen though, is they legislate it away - something they absolutely have the power to do, if they choose to.

NSS,

I cant speak for Balta, but I know you are not one of them. You actually have your own ideas, you dont just fight for the name on the jersey, even when your jersey is doing everything you allegedly stood against.

*Cough* Today's current Republicans on free trade, immigration, smaller govt, fiscal responsibility *Cough*

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Jan 29, 2017 -> 12:02 PM)
If any good comes out of Trump, hopefully it's politicians standing up for what they think is right, regardless of party politics.

I think the idea that all Republicans believe ABC and all Democrats believe XYZ is ridiculous. It's possible for a Democrat to be fiscally conservative or for a Republican to be in favor of "Obamacare." They're just afraid to say it. What we have now is politicians who vote everything according to the party line. Often, that's not best for the people they serve. And they are supposed to be voting with the best interests of their constituents in mind.

Trump is a disaster, but maybe he's doing all a favor by getting people interested and involved in politics.

It should be. But as weve seen over the last few months, Republican's stand for nothing but the name on the jersey. You dont even hear about responsible spending, smaller federal govt, free trade, less immigration restriction. They are now the party of big spending, big government and denying rights.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 29, 2017 -> 01:58 PM)
Oh good the Nazi has even more power now.

Spicer claimed an "imminent threat" prevented them from notifying anyone before this EO.

https://twitter.com/joshrogin/status/825754...src=twsrc%5Etfw

And it appears they're ready to ignore court orders?

https://twitter.com/AymanM/status/825755230...src=twsrc%5Etfw

Merkel had to explain the Geneva convention to trump

https://twitter.com/Kevinliptakcnn/status/8...src=twsrc%5Etfw

That first tweet you linked is deleted so I'm guessing that didn't happen.

More importantly, I don't think the injunction prevented enforcement of the EO entirely. It prevents deportation of legitimate visa holders since they could be going back to countries where they face imminent harm. Someone can correct me.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jan 29, 2017 -> 12:35 PM)
That first tweet you linked is deleted so I'm guessing that didn't happen.

More importantly, I don't think the injunction prevented enforcement of the EO entirely. It prevents deportation of legitimate visa holders since they could be going back to countries where they face imminent harm. Someone can correct me.

G&T,

I believe the second part of your statement is correct. I havent read it entirely, but it appears that it is a limited stay. Likely any lawsuit in this matter is going to be limited to those already granted some sort of recognition or those already in the US.

Administration officials also defended the process Saturday. They said the people who needed to be briefed ahead of time on the plane were briefed and that people at the State Department and DHS who were involved in the process were able to make decisions about who to talk and inform about and inform about this (including the Office of Legal Counsel, or OLC).

Bannon and Miller were running point on this order and giving directives regarding green cards, according to a Republican close to the White House.

But even after the Friday afternoon announcement, administration officials at the White House took several hours to produce text of the action until several hours after it was signed. Adviser Kellyanne Conway even said at one point it was not going to be released before eventually it did get sent out.

Administration officials also seemed unsure at first who was covered in the action, and a list of impacted countries was only produced later on Friday night, hours after the President signed the document at the Pentagon.

President Donald Trump's decision to reorganize the National Security Council in a way that removes the director of intelligence and the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff from always attending the principals' committee is "stone cold crazy," former National Security Adviser Susan Rice said Sunday.

Rice retweeted another Twitter user, P.E. Juan, who said: "Trump loves and trusts the military so much he just kicked them out of the National Security Council and put a Nazi in their place."

Rice, President Barack Obama's national security adviser, was reacting to an executive order signed by Trump that said that the head of DNI and the nation's most senior military officer would be invited to attend the security meetings "where issues pertaining to their responsibilities and expertise are to be discussed."

"This is stone cold crazy. After a week of crazy. Who needs military advice or intell to make policy on ISIL, Syria, Afghanistan, DPRK?" Rice tweeted, with DPRK referring to North Korea.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/29/politics/sus...nnon/index.html

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 29, 2017 -> 12:50 PM)
G&T,

I believe the second part of your statement is correct. I havent read it entirely, but it appears that it is a limited stay. Likely any lawsuit in this matter is going to be limited to those already granted some sort of recognition or those already in the US.

That's why separate lawsuits involving the Establishment Clause and Civil Rights Act of 1964/65 are being brought into "general challenges" of the whole shebang...and court commentators like Jeffrey Toobin will be needed to explain this messin layman's terms.

So, this morning in-between talking about how "everyone" suffered during the Holocaust, White House Chief of Staff Preibus strongly suggested that other countries would be added to the restricted list soon.

The DHS also is issuing statements saying that they will continue enforcing the executive order regardless of the court-issued stay. There are some suggestions that efforts are underway to declare parts of the Customs/Border agency in contempt of a court order.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 29, 2017 -> 04:02 PM)
The president of the united States has accused two senators who have released a statement critical of his Muslim ban of "looking to start world war 3."

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/...src=twsrc%5Etfw

I just don't get how people believe this asshole. A now ex friend of mine posted that muslims were trying to breed out Christianity in the US and trump is trying to stop it.

We are now up to about 20 Republicans who have actively said something in opposition to this, including McCain and Graham as noted above. 15 have released statements of support.

Only 41 Democrats have yet to take a position. None have stated support.

Senator Feinstein to introduce legislation tomorrow to overturn this EO and remove similar power from the President. At the least it'll force McConnell to take a position by either allowing it to come to a vote or blocking it from the floor.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 28, 2017 -> 10:18 PM)
@yashar

POTUS signed an order this afternoon which removed the Director of National Intelligence from National Security Council + added Steve Bannon

Congrats. Our Joint Chiefs now have an anti semite.

I've read that they also removed the Dept. of Energy representative as well as the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

Bannon's also been one of the two main guys running the show for this horrible immigration EO.

And at least per Guilliani, Trump thinks of this EO as a "Muslim ban"

C3UO7LbWAAI0O5-.jpg

Bannon and Miller intervened to make sure that the order applied to legal permanent residents, as the original interpretation was that it didn't.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/28/politics...-ban/index.html

Before the President issued the order, the White House did not seek the legal guidance of the Office of Legal Counsel, the Justice Department office that interprets the law for the executive branch. A source said the executive order did not follow the standard agency review process that's typically overseen by the National Security Council, though the source couldn't specifically say if that included the decision to not have the order go through the Office of Legal Counsel.

Bannon and Miller were running point on this order and giving directives regarding green cards, according to a Republican close to the White House.

Friday night, DHS arrived at the legal interpretation that the executive order restrictions applying to seven countries -- Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Syria, Sudan and Yemen -- did not apply to people who with lawful permanent residence, generally referred to as green card holders.

The White House overruled that guidance overnight, according to officials familiar with the rollout. That order came from the President's inner circle, led by Stephen Miller and Steve Bannon. Their decision held that, on a case by case basis, DHS could allow green card holders to enter the US.

Edited by StrangeSox

The ACLU is reporting that the CBP is still ignoring the court order and denying some of those detained access to legal counsel.

Sen. Hollen of Maryland is claiming that a 5 year old US citizen has been detained as part of the immigration, as well.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2017/01/29/s...ined-at-dulles/

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 29, 2017 -> 06:22 PM)
The ACLU is reporting that the CBP is still ignoring the court order and denying some of those detained access to legal counsel.

Sen. Hollen of Maryland is claiming that a 5 year old US citizen has been detained as part of the immigration, as well.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2017/01/29/s...ined-at-dulles/

In the last hour there are suddenly reports from several sources that the CBP is handcuffing and removing the detained travelers from Dulles to an off site location as a way to get around the court order requiring access to counsel if held at Dulles.