2017 NFL off season thread

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 08:12 AM)
What pisses me off about Pace right now is that he has been spewing all this nonsense about having restraint in FA and making all these financially conscious decisions but he seems to be missing out on everyone except for the one guy nobody else wanted and he is over bidding on him. WTF

So true. How in Hell are we letting the Patriots outbid us for cornerback talent?

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 08:28 AM)
So true. How in Hell are we letting the Patriots outbid us for cornerback talent?

Unless Gilmore just wanted to play for a proven winner, Pats are an easy choice if it's between the 2.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 08:31 AM)
Unless Gilmore just wanted to play for a proven winner, Pats are an easy choice if it's between the 2.

What is the point of not signing any of our productive talent to create cap space if we aren't going to outbid for talent?

I realize the whole not wanting to overpay deal but Jesus you sign a career backup, while bidding against yourself, to a stupid contract but won't give an All-pro CB a bit extra to make sure he comes here? Astounding.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 08:38 AM)
I realize the whole not wanting to overpay deal but Jesus you sign a career backup, while bidding against yourself, to a stupid contract but won't give an All-pro CB a bit extra to make sure he comes here? Astounding.

And its Free Agency! Everyone overpays in FA. How does Pace not understand that?

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 08:40 AM)
And its Free Agency! Everyone overpays in FA. How does Pace not understand that?

Especially day 1 of FA, confidence in Pace and co. at an all time low right now.

Well maybe we will just use cap to sign our own productive players oh no actually we may let alshon walk!

Especially when you are coming off a 3-13 season and don't have a QB. You have to pay to play. Even Jacksonville gets that!

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 08:49 AM)
Especially when you are coming off a 3-13 season and don't have a QB. You have to pay to play. Even Jacksonville gets that!

How's that going for Jacksonville?

Must be living off his successful offseason last year in deals. Problem is, Bears had better record prior. Free Agents probably aren't jumping up and down on going to a 3-13 team unless you drastically overpay for them.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 09:08 AM)
They have a much more talented roster than the Bears do right now, I know that much.

Jacksonville has a few better players. Just about all of their good players were draft picks.

Their free agent signings have been a disaster.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 08:20 AM)
Jeff Dickerson #Bears did make strong offer to top CB A.J. Bouye. Not sure they land him, but interest is very real.

Sounds like Bears won't get him though... Barring an unexpected change, sources say A.J. Bouye expected to leave Texans for huge free agent deal. Expected to remain in AFC South.

Brad Biggs‏Verified account @BradBiggs 2m2 minutes ago

More

Brad Biggs Retweeted Jeff Dickerson

Props to Jeff. #Bears definitely in pursuit of A.J. Bouye. Plenty of competition from AFC South clubs.Brad Biggs added,

I still don't understand why Pace doesn't overpay for a position we need to address more (secondary) and just roll the dice on a rookie QB. I would think Adams/Hooker/etc. have to be considered now.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 09:21 AM)
@diannaESPN

The New England Patriots are considering trading Malcolm Butler to the New Orleans Saints for Brandin Cooks per sources

Patriots are good at this.

God I hate how well run that franchise is.

Aaron Leming‏Verified account @AaronLemingNFL 1m1 minute ago

More

I'm not saying the #Bears are totally screwed & will miss on most targets. I'm simply saying they've missed on a few FAs over $1.5-2M per yr

@diannaESPN

The New England Patriots are considering trading Malcolm Butler to the New Orleans Saints for Brandin Cooks per sources

Connor Barwin has Pats written all over him. They do this all the time, just like they did recently with Chris Long.

@diannaESPN

Chris Mortensen‏Verified account @mortreport 3m3 minutes ago

More

Sean Payton said it will take a lot to get Brandin Cooks. Sources say they still want quality defensive starter, plus draft picks over 2 yrs

Will the Pats give up draft picks tho?

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 09:24 AM)
Aaron Leming‏Verified account @AaronLemingNFL 1m1 minute ago

More

I'm not saying the #Bears are totally screwed & will miss on most targets. I'm simply saying they've missed on a few FAs over $1.5-2M per yr

It's CYA. If you aren't going to be able to win, making your boss' profit a little better helps your job security.

This is really disappointing. Don't send a letter out to your season ticketholders saying 3-13 will never happen again and boast about your cap space if you are going to come in 2nd or 3rd or 4th place attempting to sign the top guys.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 09:13 AM)
Jacksonville has a few better players. Just about all of their good players were draft picks.

Their free agent signings have been a disaster.

Have you seen the Bears draft picks recently?

I'm not saying they could have built a Super Bowl champion this offseason. You have to build your core through the draft. But when your roster is devoid of talent, you have tons of available cap space, you raised season tickets prices after a 3-13 season ($0.80/game for me, but still), I don't want to see them miss on free agents because they are trying to save cents on the dollar.