2017 NFL off season thread

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 08:23 PM)
Is that it? That's a pretty s***ty run. Between Floyd and Howard, Pace beat Emery in one draft.

Edit: I forgot Whitehair. People forget what a terrible GM Emery was.

Yeah...the fact that is all he drafted is why he isn't here (along with Trestman). Pace's draft last year (one year in) looks fantastic. We'll see what this next draft brings. I wonder if Bears look at Poe / Pryor?

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 10:31 PM)
Yeah...the fact that is all he drafted is why he isn't here (along with Trestman). Pace's draft last year (one year in) looks fantastic. We'll see what this next draft brings. I wonder if Bears look at Poe / Pryor?

Personally, I feel the same way. It's hard that FA starts before the draft. It seems like GMs want to function the opposite way by building through the draft and filling in the holes with free agents.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 10, 2017 -> 11:51 AM)
Is he any good? 3 years ago I'd have been excited if we signed him, but I don't think he's done much last couple of years, has he? Clearly a capable NFL player, but he's forced what, one turnover in two years.

Arkush and Leming seem to think he will automatically be the Bears top CB even if they draft one.

Bears re-signed K Connor Barth on a one-year contract.

The deal includes $155,000 guaranteed. Barth was fine for the Bears after joining just before Week 1, but his 78.3 conversion rate is nothing to write home about. Still, he did convert all but one extra point, and the guaranteed money suggests he will have a big leg up if Chicago brings in any competition in camp.

Source: Brad Biggs

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 10, 2017 -> 12:23 PM)
We all are aware the Bears are and always were going to suck again this year right? They need a HUGE draft this year and then FA+ draft next year to finally be competitive.

And what sucks about this is there is no guarantee that they will blow the doors off in next years FA either. McCaskeys are still going to be cheap.

"Thank you for your support in 2016," Phillips wrote. "It was a challenging and disappointing season. One we will not repeat."

"We are positioned for an exciting offseason with the third overall pick in the draft and one of best salary-cap situations in the NFL heading into free agency," Phillips wrote. "We will take advantage of these assets to bring in more talent."

Alrighty then.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 10, 2017 -> 01:25 PM)
"Thank you for your support in 2016," Phillips wrote. "It was a challenging and disappointing season. One we will not repeat."

"We are positioned for an exciting offseason with the third overall pick in the draft and one of best salary-cap situations in the NFL heading into free agency," Phillips wrote. "We will take advantage of these assets to bring in more talent."

Alrighty then.

Ted Phillips wants to recall this email.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 10, 2017 -> 01:25 PM)

Alrighty then.

Can I use that as evidence to dispute my 2017 season ticket payment on my credit card?

Bears GM Ryan Pace confirmed Mike Glennon is "our starting quarterback."

Pace added he is "fired up" about the possibility. Okay, champ. Glennon's contract contains $16 million guaranteed year one, which is starting quarterback money. The deal is very team friendly from that point on, however, suggesting the Bears are not sold on Glennon as the long-term answer. It will not be surprising if they add another quarterback relatively early in the draft.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Glad somebody is fired up.

Its is funny what $43 million will make someone say.

John Mullin‏Verified account @CSNMoonMullin 6m6 minutes ago

#Bears Mike Glennon - watched film of Bears, "saw great offensive line" "receivers" "scheme that fit him" - obviously did homework on #Bears

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 10, 2017 -> 01:53 PM)
Ted Phillips wants to recall this email.

Ted Phillips knows nothing about football neither does George McCaskey thus neither should speak about the future of the Bears with any sort of certainty.

The fact that a non-football person runs the Bears tells you all you need to know.

The buck stops and ends with Ryan Pace who had no experience running a football organization before coming to the Bears and is relied upon to be the sole football decision maker.

That was what did in Phil Emery as well as Jerry Angelo (once Lovie got in the room to help make decisions).

Pace, Emery and Angelo were all good football minds but they are/will be done in a couple of mistakes that will implode.

Pace - Handling free agency

Emery- Hiring a Bozo for a head coach

Angelo- Giving increased roster handling to Lovie

The bears need a President that can make a decent football decision. The former accountant and ticket manager are not that person.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 10, 2017 -> 03:17 PM)
Terrell Pryor signs for 1 year 8 mill. (obviously not with Bears, since this is a good signing)

Its a great signing and yet another f*** up by the Browns. Pryor may be the only player in the country who REALLY wanted to play in Cleveland.

Bears signed OT Tom Compton, formerly of the Falcons.

Compton is a career reserve. He played just 70 snaps for the Falcons last season. The Bears have weak starting tackles in LT Charles Leno and RT Bobby Massie, but Compton shouldn't be in the starting mix.

Related: Falcons

Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 10, 2017 -> 09:34 PM)
Black Unicorn to Green Bay. No doubt that he is gonna kill it up there. Minimum 250 yards and 3 touchdowns in the 2 games vs the Bears

The Packers get Martellus for basically the same contract we gave Sims. I get that we would never bring back Bennett, but that just shows you how ridiculous the Sims contract really is.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 11, 2017 -> 11:00 AM)
Alshon got $8.75 million guaranteed, $750k workout bonus, and $4.5 million in incentives. There is no way the Bears shouldn't have beaten that.

I believe the stories about Alshon not liking Chicago and not wanting to be here. Plain and simple.