2017 NFL off season thread

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aaron Leming‏Verified account @AaronLemingNFL 8s8 seconds ago

More

#Bears deal for Mike Glennon will be 3/$45M w/ $19M guaranteed. Pretty much a 1 year commitment w/ little penalty if cut in year 2.

QUOTE (Tony @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 10:19 AM)
Been gone for a day, and not the biggest Bears fan, but let me see if I have this right.

- The Bears have been biding against themselves in this process for Glennon, and are probably going to pay him 4-5 million more a year than anyone else would.

-Even the most optimistic supporters seem to agree he is stopgap option and the Bears need to start drafting QB's ASAP.

-Jay Cutler is still under contract and on the roster.

-Argulabily the Bears biggest need, CB, was going to be filled by the best CB on the market, but instead went to the Patriots because the Bears low-balled him. Good enough for he Super Bowl Champs, but not good enough for the Bears.

That about it?

Yeah. Cutler should be released soon and the CB dont appear to be done deals as of yet but it looks like the Bears are going to strike out on that as of now.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 10:25 AM)
Aaron Leming‏Verified account @AaronLemingNFL 8s8 seconds ago

More

#Bears deal for Mike Glennon will be 3/$45M w/ $19M guaranteed. Pretty much a 1 year commitment w/ little penalty if cut in year 2.

Glad the upfront money isn't as bad as it could be.

NFL free agency is so fast, being optimistic is fun. It's not like in baseball when it just drags on and you feel a fool for believing something you probably knew deep down would not happen, but for a couple of days? Why not think the Bears will do good? Other that draft night, it's pretty much all a Bears fan has these days.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 10:44 AM)
Rumor is that Bears are signing Quintin Demps S who is 32 years old.

Doing this thing again huh?

Antrell Rolle tweets at Demps to "Call me".

Antrell you cant fault the Bears FO that you are no longer good.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 10:44 AM)
Rumor is that Bears are signing Quintin Demps S who is 32 years old.

Doing this thing again huh?

But he's a young 32, :huh

Kevin Fishbain‏ @kfishbain 3m3 minutes ago

More

Quintin Demps does turn 32 in June, but he has only been a full-time starter for 2 seasons and played in only 20 games from 2009-11.

Congrats Bears you outbid the Bears for Glennonby 4 million a year easily. Pace had too get a top CB and looks like he missed out. What a failure so far coming of a 3-13 year.

Edited by Soxfest

Going crazy on day one wasn't going to put us over the top. We need to be smart, that said, we do need to upgrade some key positions. I want cap flexibility more then anything for when we are ready to get better. That said, if they weren't going to go "crazy", they should have probably done a better job with "rumor" control cause I think that got a lot of fans hyped up. My view is we won't be good until we address QB and Glennon is most likely a temporary fix so I'm curious to see what we do in the draft. Our best signings last year happened on day 3.

The Jags won free agency for a couple years with nothing to show of it, same for the Redskins for forever. Lot of time left and it isn't like we are a few signings away. If we were a 9 win team with this kind of cap space, I'd say we should be more aggressive, with 3 wins, we need to be a bit more smart (although I always presumed we would be paying Alshon).

The giants went ham last year, made playoffs. I didn't want a thousand players signed. I just wanted a cornerback or safety. When Berry re-signed, just a cornerback.

I wasn't greedy.

If Glennon sucks, we cut him anyway with no implications long-term. We are drafting a QB early and that is good. We have enough cap space that we could sign Gilmore/Jeffrey plus Glennon no problem. Whether they want to do that or not, that is up to them, but signing Glennon didn't prevent us from making other moves and it doesn't hinder us long-term. We know Hoyer isn't going to be above average, Glennon has flashed some ability to other scouts. He may be worse then Hoyer, but there is a chance he's actually good, in which case, nice signing. If he isn't, doesn't matter, we cut him at the end of the year, and hope that the guy we drafted this year looks better.

If the guy we drafted isn't that good and we stink, then we hope that we are picking near the top of the board and have a shot at a "franchise" QB. We need to stop kicking the can on QB. The Jags won free agency for like 2 years in a row (and maybe a 3rd this year) and the last two years they had very little to show for it. This team was never a couple signings away from being great...we need the right QB and we need to hit on young players and develop those players to get better. Then, we'll be in a position where free agency can help fill final pieces.

We need to be smart and the Bears need to be patient so they don't make moves today that prevent them from making the right move that maybe could put them over the top in the future.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 09:52 AM)
The giants went ham last year, made playoffs. I didn't want a thousand players signed. I just wanted a cornerback or safety. When Berry re-signed, just a cornerback.

I wasn't greedy.

The Giants have a legit QB though (I don't love Eli, but he is a huge step-up from anything the Bears have). And even then, I'm not exactly envious of the Giants...I don't see them with any realistic shot at the superbowl right now.

Even though Demps is a bit older, the guy has forced a lot of turnovers the past couple of years (especially last year). Contract seems pretty reasonable, all things considered, and while older, it certainly fills a void. I presume we will be drafting a safety or DB very early in the draft (if not multiple DB's).

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 12:03 PM)
Is Matt Barkley coming back next year as a backup?

Don't think so, pretty sure Shaw is gonna be the third stringer/practice squad qb