2017 NFL off season thread

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 03:59 PM)
You roll it over. It's part of the game.

What you cannot do if you're Chicago is overpay for what's left of free agency. And the cheap bulls*** is lazy research. If there was $40 million worth of high value talent, the Bears would spend ALL the cap space. There isn't.

I am cap illiterate. How does rolling over cap space work?

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow, was out for 3 hours and worst fears of this offseason confirmed.

If you were to run all the possibilities of this offseason in January how many had you with Bears losing Jeffrey for nothing, getting no top cornerback, and signing Mike Glennon as a starter

Short of Myles Garrett suddenly falling to 3, this is the worst case scenario.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 05:21 PM)

If you were to run all the possibilities of this offseason in January how many had you with Bears losing Jeffrey for nothing, getting no top cornerback, and signing Mike Glennon as a starter

Worse case scenario involved franchising Alshon and having him spend half the season on the bench. That's what Alshon does.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 05:21 PM)

Taking Jonathon Allen at #3 with 2 bad shoulders would be the cherry on top. Allen did have labral tears in both shoulders fixed over the course of his impressive career at Alabama. His left shoulder is moderately arthritic and the arthritis is similarly mild in his right.

Edited by Soxfest

Absolutely pathetic...

Adam Hoge‏Verified account @AdamHoge 5s6 seconds ago

With Alshon moving on, the #Bears still have only given contract extensions to 4 of their own draft picks since 2007, which is stunning.

I'm too lazy to look this up, but would love to hear if anyone knows who the four players are. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Kyle Long.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 05:52 PM)
Absolutely pathetic...

I'm too lazy to look this up, but would love to hear if anyone knows who the four players are. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Kyle Long.

Kyle Long, Matt Forte, Kellen Davis and Earl Bennett. Which is funny because Kellen Davis is one of the worst football players I've ever seen.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 05:55 PM)
Geeze...how could we not have worked out something with Alshon.

Judging by the fact that Alshon turned down a longer term deal from the Vikings and Alshon isn't work $14 million per, it's not surprising they didn't want to overpay him.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 05:57 PM)
Kyle Long, Matt Forte, Kellen Davis and Earl Bennett. Which is funny because Kellen Davis is one of the worst football players I've ever seen.

Thank you and wow. The fact that Kellen Davis represents 1/4 of that list both sad & hilarious at the same time.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 05:23 PM)
Worse case scenario involved franchising Alshon and having him spend half the season on the bench. That's what Alshon does.

3 of the last 4 seasons he suited up and played every game he was eligible to play. The other year he played in 9 games , over half, and overpaying him for one year only hurts the McCaskeys bank account. There is a ton of room under the cap, and the Bears make around $100 million in profit according to Forbes every season, so it isn't like that $16 million would need to be saved for a rainy day. It might be used to buy Michael McCaskey a giant sailboat or something, or eventually help pay a tax bill when Virginia dies, but if they don't spend it now, it won't be spent on football players.

Bears signed WR Markus Wheaton, formerly of the Steelers.

That'll fix it. The Bears have a concerning lack of quality depth after Alshon Jeffery bolted in free agency, and Wheaton is not the answer coming off an injury-riddled end to a disappointing career in Pittsburgh. The former third-rounder does have some theoretical upside, however, and is a fine dart throw. Kevin White and Cameron Meredith are currently the Bears' top two receivers. Mar 9 - 7:05 PM

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

A dart throw lol.............Oh Mr. Pace

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 06:57 PM)
https://mobile.twitter.com/rapsheet/status/...989969859031040

Bears to sign Markus Wheaton, former Steelers WR.

Wow, of all the WRs in free agency they sign Markus f***ing Wheaton. Good god has this day been a dissapointment. If I didn't know any better, I'd honestl think Pace is purposely trying to tank next year for Darnold. Despite coming off a 3-13 season and having $70M in cap space, we have somehow gotten worse after day one of free agency. That's impressive.

Bears signed TE Dion Sims, formerly of the Dolphins, to a three-year, $18 million contract.

It includes $10 million guaranteed. It's a ton of money for a blocking tight end who was forced into a pass-catching role for the Dolphins last season. Sims has a sure pair of hands, but is not a playmaker. He's averaged a well below average 9.4 yards on his 74 career grabs. He'll be second in line for targets behind Zach Miller.

Source: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Did any team overpay for so little value than the Bears so far? Pace earns a D for today's signings.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 03:58 PM)
Judging by the fact that Alshon turned down a longer term deal from the Vikings and Alshon isn't work $14 million per, it's not surprising they didn't want to overpay him.

We just gave a mediocre TE $10M guaranteed. Another head scratcher in my eyes (especially given we should be drafting at least one, if not two TE's in this upcoming draft). I'm not mad we didn't sign this big name guys, reality is, everything is going to come down to whether they can find a QB or not. I don't think Glennon is the guy, but I don't think they are stopping at him. I do think the Demps signing was actually a pretty good low key move.

Signing Wheaton wasn't awful as I think he has some talent (hopefully he is healthy). HE isn't a #1 or anything close, so the way I look at it, we entered the off-season with almost no playmakers and a day into free agency we have one less playmaker then we had entering it and we have a major need at wideout. Oh and you'd think if you are looking for a QB, the path to putting that QB in the best position to "succeed" wouldn't involve giving said QB s***ty wideouts (which is essentially what we've done...its as if we looked at last years Rams playbook or the Lovie Smith / Jerry Angelo Jay Cutler playbook).

Lot of time left, maybe we are going to give Pryor a buttload of money.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 05:16 PM)
I f***ing want Phil Emery back.

Mark Hatley and Jerry Angelo. I actually liked Angelo...he didn't end strong, but he had a pretty solid run with the Bears. His biggest failure was drafting injured olinemen in his attempt to build an oline around Jay (oh and not being able to address wideout early in Jay's era).

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 06:47 PM)
Bears signed TE Dion Sims, formerly of the Dolphins, to a three-year, $18 million contract.

It includes $10 million guaranteed. It's a ton of money for a blocking tight end who was forced into a pass-catching role for the Dolphins last season. Sims has a sure pair of hands, but is not a playmaker. He's averaged a well below average 9.4 yards on his 74 career grabs. He'll be second in line for targets behind Zach Miller.

Source: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Did any team overpay for so little value than the Bears so far? Pace earns a D for today's signings.

This deal was worse then the Glennon deal. He is basically the same guy as Lee and a bunch of other s***ty backup TE's we have. I realize we want to run the ball, but we need real weapons and those are available in the draft at the TE position (and we did give up a draft pick for Lee).

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 08:20 PM)
Score one for the irrational. Didn't he sign Cutler and fail to draft anyone?

He did draft Jeffrey and Kyle Long (while trading for Marshall and signing Bennett). He did other things wrong, but I can't knock any of those moves. His big fail was hiring Trestman. Trestman was just such a disaster (especially since it could have been Bruce Arians).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 9, 2017 -> 10:22 PM)
He did draft Jeffrey and Kyle Long.

Is that it? That's a pretty s***ty run. Between Floyd and Howard, Pace beat Emery in one draft.

Edit: I forgot Whitehair. People forget what a terrible GM Emery was.

Edited by Sox-35th