2017 MLB Catch-All Thread

LittleHurt05

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was one of a few very pro Albies voices when we thought he may be here in a trade.

Slashline for first 54 games

.281/.354/.443 with 5 hrs, 8 doubles and 5(!) triples.

36 Ks to 21 BBs.

7 of 8 stolen bases.

Soxtalk slapped a Yolmer Sanchez label on him and couldn't see past it.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 11:34 AM)
I was one of a few very pro Albies voices when we thought he may be here in a trade.

36 Ks to 21 BBs.

7 of 8 stolen bases.

Part of the issue is Albies would have had to replace either Anderson or Moncada.

I think the Sanchez comparison was a way of hand-waiving away the somewhat troublesome process that would be.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 03:01 PM)
Part of the issue is Albies would have had to replace either Anderson or Moncada.

I think the Sanchez comparison was a way of hand-waiving away the somewhat troublesome process that would be.

I heard for 2-3 years how Yolmer wouldn't stick at short because he had a weak arm, then we just put him at 3b and he's been awesome.

All 3 of those guys can play "infield". Albies can play all 3. Moncada can play 2b/3b. If the cubs can make happ/zobrist/russell/baez/bryant work, we could have made them work.

And while albies is not your typical power 3b, an infield of Moncada/Anderson/Albies would be unbelievably fast and athletic, and a very diverse set of hitters.

It ultimately doesn't matter now. But with the draft next year we shouldn't shy away from MI because our current set-up. But more importantly, if there is a player i'd bet on to succeed, it's these 3 checkboxes:

- Performs well at a young age

- Good approach at plate

- Plus defensive player (which likely means above average speed)

Long term really don't think his power profile is that different than Anderson, who in juiced ball era is a 20 hr player.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 01:34 PM)

36 Ks to 21 BBs.

7 of 8 stolen bases.

I was with you on Albies... and Mateo too. ;)

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 01:25 PM)
I heard for 2-3 years how Yolmer wouldn't stick at short because he had a weak arm, then we just put him at 3b and he's been awesome.

All 3 of those guys can play "infield". Albies can play all 3. Moncada can play 2b/3b. If the cubs can make happ/zobrist/russell/baez/bryant work, we could have made them work.

And while albies is not your typical power 3b, an infield of Moncada/Anderson/Albies would be unbelievably fast and athletic, and a very diverse set of hitters.

It ultimately doesn't matter now. But with the draft next year we shouldn't shy away from MI because our current set-up. But more importantly, if there is a player i'd bet on to succeed, it's these 3 checkboxes:

- Performs well at a young age

- Good approach at plate

- Plus defensive player (which likely means above average speed)

Long term really don't think his power profile is that different than Anderson, who in juiced ball era is a 20 hr player.

Well there is a difference between a guy you draft that is years away and a guy you acquire via trade that is ready now.

Also, Anderson and Moncada are not veterans. They need to play everyday and focus on fundamentals of their positions, not on the fundamentals of 2-3 different positions.

If we were talking about acquiring Gleyber Torres, I am more inclined to try and make it work; for Albies, no.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 08:55 AM)
UPDATE: Hailey will be throwing out the first pitch at Game 4 of the World Series!

So flipping cool - that little girl has some awesome parents behind her! :wub:

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 26, 2017 -> 01:57 PM)
Robin Ventura could be a candidate for the Mets job

http://nypost.com/2017/09/26/odds-are-high...-familiar-face/

I'd love to see him manage for another team - but he certainly didn't seem to take to the job like a fish to water. Seemed to be more content just being "dad" at home with the fam.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 11:34 AM)

36 Ks to 21 BBs.

7 of 8 stolen bases.

I recall your support of Albies very well. Prior to your expressions, I knew very little of him... so it was actually your information posted which made me follow the kid and jump aboard his train. Actually, just tonight - I stumbled upon this.... thought you'd enjoy:

https://www.talkingchop.com/2017/9/28/16380...bies-wild-thing

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 01:34 PM)

36 Ks to 21 BBs.

7 of 8 stolen bases.

I was the one who was big on the Carlos/Yolmer comparison, so I'll eat my crow on that. All the same, they likely would have given up Quintana for Albies, and I'm perfectly fine with Eloy.