ST games in Milwaukee

SAVVY18

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 1, 2017 -> 11:39 PM)
OK I know nothing about baseball.

You tell me that the team I'm about to describe isn't a contender AFTER our trades.

1B-Abreu (star). 2B - Saladino (Moncada in May, star). SS - Anderson (budding star). 3B - Frazier (good defense; great power just like Abreu). When Moncada comes up, Saladino super infield sub.

OF - Melky (serviceable); RF - Avi (still has a chance of excelling). CF - May (awful, maybe a free agent aquisition for outfield if our organization would fricking pay pay pay). DH - Coulda acquired one in offseason for $$. Catcher-Coulda signed a free agent to go with Narvaez for $$

Bullpen - Robertson closer (good). Setup guys - Hit or miss, coulda acquired one for $$ to add to the setup crew. Starters: Q, Rodon, Shields, Gonzalez, Holland. (Once one of the guys we got from the Nats is ready to fill in, not half bad).

So how dumb am I? I contend our team could have been a contender this season even with the trades. Without the trades, even more a contender with Sale and Eaton. But it would have required spending a little bit of fricking cash for an outfielder, a DH and a catcher. Excuse me for thinking a big city team might wanna spend some cash in free agency.

Ignorance truly is bliss. The posts you write amaze me and the fact that you still don't believe we're rebuilding is comical and honestly getting a little bit sad. You literally want the team to keep doing the same crap it had been doing year after year when it's that very same approach that got us here in the first place. I can understand not being thrilled to be bad and wanting the team to be good, hell we all WANT that. But the facts are that that approach of trying to find stopgaps year after year to fill 4+ holes (at worst that's what would've needed to be filled this year) every year isn't sustainable to long-term (or hell even short-term) success. Your method had been given a valiant effort (for the most part) these last 10+ years, and what do we have to show for it??? 1 playoff appearance and multiple years of SUCK. It was time for a change and everyone knew it. You don't have to be happy about the change in direction, but you gotta accept it. Real GMing in the MLB isn't like managing a team on your PlayStation where you can trade everyone in a day and get a rebuild done in a half hour. In real life, trades take time to develop and the fact that we traded 2 of our top 3 assets/best players this off-season, added nothing substantial in FA, and you STILL think the rebuild is fake....Where should I send your tinfoil hat? Come on man, just stop it with that nonsense.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You tell me that the team I'm about to describe isn't a contender AFTER our trades.

1B-Abreu (star). 2B - Saladino (Moncada in May, star). SS - Anderson (budding star). 3B - Frazier (good defense; great power just like Abreu). When Moncada comes up, Saladino super infield sub.

OF - Melky (serviceable); RF - Avi (still has a chance of excelling). CF - May (awful, maybe a free agent aquisition for outfield if our organization would fricking pay pay pay). DH - Coulda acquired one in offseason for $$. Catcher-Coulda signed a free agent to go with Narvaez for $$

Bullpen - Robertson closer (good). Setup guys - Hit or miss, coulda acquired one for $$ to add to the setup crew. Starters: Q, Rodon, Shields, Gonzalez, Holland. (Once one of the guys we got from the Nats is ready to fill in, not half bad).

So how dumb am I? I contend our team could have been a contender this season even with the trades. Without the trades, even more a contender with Sale and Eaton. But it would have required spending a little bit of fricking cash for an outfielder, a DH and a catcher. Excuse me for thinking a big city team might wanna spend some cash in free agency.

Who should we have spent money on to make this team a no-doubt contender?

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 2, 2017 -> 08:29 AM)

Is Josh Phegley available?

There's really no reason to waste any cash for a team early in a rebuild.

The team you propose plays .500 if everything goes right. More likely, it wins 75 games. The rotation has a 1, a 3 and 3 5s

The mistake was NOT rebuilding during the Ventura era (actually they did, but only for 1 season then they stopped) and waiting so late to finally start (the unconscionable Shields trade was in June).

But that's water under the bridge. The team needed to be rebuilt and they're finally getting around to it and they need to be thorough about it (and yes, they need to get on with moving more players as only 3 have been moved and they can't abort it midstream like they did last time).

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Apr 2, 2017 -> 12:56 PM)
Real GMing in the MLB isn't like managing a team on your PlayStation where you can trade everyone in a day and get a rebuild done in a half hour. In real life, trades take time to develop and the fact that we traded 2 of our top 3 assets/best players this off-season, added nothing substantial in FA, and you STILL think the rebuild is fake.

I was of the opinion we could have dumped Frazier, Robertson, Melky maybe, last season after the 23-10 start was deemed a mirage. But nothing happened and nothing happened offseason with them either. Hahn was quoted as saying they knew we weren't winning anything at an early date last year.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 2, 2017 -> 01:29 PM)

I'm forgetting the name of that catcher we were all talking about a month or so ago the Sox could have gotten. There were some bats available in free agency. s*** the Royals added Soler for nothing.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Apr 2, 2017 -> 02:45 PM)
(and yes, they need to get on with moving more players as only 3 have been moved and they can't abort it midstream like they did last time).

So you agree with me partly. I'm not that dumb, folks.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 2, 2017 -> 02:25 PM)
I'm forgetting the name of that catcher we were all talking about a month or so ago the Sox could have gotten. There were some bats available in free agency. s*** the Royals added Soler for nothing.

Not really "for nothing."

Greg: I don't think you will see Moncada in May. I think September is more realistic. His month in Boston last fall was a disaster. I don't think they will rush him since he has never played in AAA. He needs a year to cut down on strike-outs, playing 2nd base again and running the bases. Now I didn't see him in ST but I assume he has progressed and a year in AAA may be all he needs.