Most Airlines just don't seem to care

BigSqwert

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 12, 2017 -> 04:27 PM)
I mean, if they dragged me off a flight would they put out that I've been illegally downloading movies for years? Its totally irrelevant and horrible reporting.

Then there's the "he was on the Ashley Madison list" type of character assassination.

If the whole internet search history becomes publicly available (or hacked/released), can you imagine the list of all the sites that people frequent that will be put out there?

Remember the "sweater guy" from the presidential debate and how all of his reddit posts and social media were gone through with a fine tooth comb to wipe out his genuine/authentic good guy image? Perfect example.

No matter what happens with this Vietnamese-American doctor (David Dao), they're going to end up settling for multi-millions. Doesn't matter if he has all doctors in his family...or hasn't made any money the last decade while his medical license was suspended.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 12, 2017 -> 08:15 PM)
I don't hate you. Your arguments drive me insane but I don't hate you. The above question was a genuine question, no mocking.

The point of my question was to ask you if you feel it is fair game for anyone's past to be brought up as it was here, because you went viral for some reason. I dont think that is fair at all

The problem from a 1st Amendment standpoint is that the definition of "public figure" has changed greatly with the advent of the internet.

What kind of a law could be passed that would protect individual privacy rights while still allowing the press freedom to operate? And it's obviously not the NY Times or Washington Post that's digging into these people, it's celeb/reality show/gossip type sites like TMZ that thrive on these "15 minutes of fame" situations.

What about lottery winners? It used to be politicians were afraid to run due to skeletons in the closet, but now nearly everyone's fair game. Should states be forced to hide the identity of lottery winners so they aren't targeted or privacy invaded? Well, that would wipe out 50% of the "marketing appeal" of state lottery systems...as it is, they're already seeing 10-25% declines in recent years in those playing. And, with lottery money going to subsidize numerous state education budgets, the "greatest good for the greatest number of people" utilitarian argument gets even trickier.

Edited by caulfield12

OK your question was: "So if you are out to dinner, and someone sucker punches you and the video goes viral, you think it is fair game that your possible criminal history gets thrown out there for all to see? Even though it is completely unrelated and establishes nothing?"

--I don't think it's really fair but at the same time I think it's where we are. Like somebody said, the guy with the sweater at the debate had his past looked up as well.

This case is kind of weird to discuss. Cause this Dr. Dao is well known in Louisville I guess because of his sordid case 15 long years ago. So the fact it was him is probably legit news in LOUISVILLE right? But if Louisville reports it everybody picks up on it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 12, 2017 -> 02:32 PM)
IMO people are more outraged at things that seem relevant to their lives, or something that could happen to them. People have had bad experiences flying, especially with united, and so they are paying attention. Because people are clicking, more stories are being written.

Another factor is this was avoidable. There was a clearly better choice, continuing to offer more and more compensation until someone accepted. When we see a problem that has a solution we become more frustrated and outraged when it isn't followed. Then when the problem seems to be corporate greed and valuing money and employees over paying customers it becomes compounded.

School shootings and other evil without clear answers? There isn't a direct and clear channel to vent.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Apr 12, 2017 -> 10:57 PM)
if you would have actually read what i typed you would have seen that I did say I would have raised a stink, but would have started moving once the police showed up. Didn't say i would be happy about it. But no, keep living in your own world, seeing and reading what you want.

I'm trying to imagine this happening to me. If one of the flight attendants or United bigwigs came to my seat and told me I must leave because I've been bumped, I think I would say, "Are you serious?" one time. Then the way my brain works, I'd think, "Dammit I knew I shouldn't have taken United. This bulls*** happens 50 percent of the time when I fly anything besides Southwest." Then after walking off the plane I'd see what they were going to do for me to reaccommodate me and plan my next steps.

But, yeah, I'd get off the plane (I might make some snide comments along the way or say something to fellow passengers as I was getting off the plane). Why? There's no good reason to fight them on this. They said get off, I better get off and re-assess from there.

I see the attorney and Dao's daughter had a news conference today. I wonder how much they'll receive in settlement money from United over this. Probably just a couple million? 1-2 mill plus medical costs paid for?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 13, 2017 -> 10:33 AM)
I wonder how much they'll receive in settlement money from United over this. Probably just a couple million? 1-2 mill plus medical costs paid for?

I'll guess more since his teeth were knocked out, he was concussed, requires reconstructive surgery and was publically humiliated.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 13, 2017 -> 06:49 PM)
I'll guess more since his teeth were knocked out, he was concussed, requires reconstructive surgery and was publically humiliated.

They should ask for 200 million because if it goes to trial, a jury would probably award him even more. Maybe he'll break United.

I was thinking that whoever broke his nose and knocked out his teeth should probably face serious criminal charges as well as a civil lawsuit. Granted he refused to leave at one point but to physically send him to the hospital should be a serious crime not against only United but the f***tard who beat the s*** out of Dao.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 13, 2017 -> 12:57 PM)
They should ask for 200 million because if it goes to trial, a jury would probably award him even more. Maybe he'll break United.

I was thinking that whoever broke his nose and knocked out his teeth should probably face serious criminal charges as well as a civil lawsuit. Granted he refused to leave at one point but to physically send him to the hospital should be a serious crime not against only United but the f***tard who beat the s*** out of Dao.

No judge would award 200 million for a case like this. I'm no lawyer but I was estimate at least 2-4 million?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 13, 2017 -> 12:57 PM)
Yes it was.

One of my buddies, who is pilot for an airline out of O'Hare, was on Facebook defending United so I was able to see a pretty good argument. They do have the right to remove you from a plane for any reason. Just really unfortunate he didn't cooperate and that it all ended up on video.

Edit: and seriously, they were being well compensated to give up their seats.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (KagakuOtoko @ Apr 13, 2017 -> 11:00 AM)
No judge would award 200 million for a case like this. I'm no lawyer but I was estimate at least 2-4 million?

Not sure what they could ultimately get for this but both United and the aviation police screwed up.

First of all, United did not follow policy/protocol for bumping someone off a flight who did not volunteer to do so. Someone posted the link earlier but if they were going to remove him from the plane, he was supposed to be offered up to 4x the cost of his ticket in cash/check (maxed at $1300 or so). They only offered $800 and it was in United vouchers so that shouldn't have counted.

The police, on the other hand, used excessive force against a non-threatening senior citizen and wound up doing serious physical damage.

I just don't see how he doesn't get a pretty hefty settlement.

Edited by BigSqwert

http://finance.yahoo.com/quote/UAL/?ltr=1

United getting fairly close to their low of two days ago.

I'll guess they start out in the $100+ million range and settle before it even gets to trial. Nothing good is coming out of a prolonged public spectacle for UAL. They've already lost close to $750 million, not even including cancellations in the last 48-72 hours.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 13, 2017 -> 12:06 PM)
Not sure what they could ultimately get for this but both United and the aviation police screwed up.

First of all, United did not follow policy/protocol for bumping someone off a flight who did not volunteer to do so. Someone posted the link earlier but if they were going to remove him from the plane, he was supposed to be offered up to 4x the cost of his ticket in cash/check. They only offered $800 and it was in United vouchers so that shouldn't have counted.

The police, on the other hand, used excessive force against a non-threatening senior citizen and wound up doing serious physical damage.

I just don't see how he doesn't get a pretty hefty settlement.

They didn't randomly select.

They didn't tell volunteers it was the last flight of the day.

They didn't come close to that $1350/4x number, they stopped at either $800 or $1000.

They didn't give those 3 early volunteers a written declaration of their rights to sign.

They weren't technically overbooked, so overbooking situation didn't even apply here.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 13, 2017 -> 12:06 PM)
One of my buddies, who is pilot for an airline out of O'Hare, was on Facebook defending United so I was able to see a pretty good argument. They do have the right to remove you from a plane for any reason. Just really unfortunate he didn't cooperate and that it all ended up on video.

Not when you consider that he would have lost all of his patients' fees for one week...since Monday is the only day he's licensed to practice. Opportunity cost.

Also not clear if they were picking up hotel/meal costs/transportation or just $800 travel voucher for flights.

By agreement, they should have offered up to $1350 but got in a rush because of late appearance by Republic Airways crew.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 13, 2017 -> 06:06 PM)

Your buddy, with all due respect, should shut up on this. There's simply no excuse to drag the guy off the plane. How bout all the LONG delays caused by the airlines. You sit and sit while they fix a light bulb, fill out the paperwork after fixing the light bulb, etc. We wait it out. They needed to wait it out, period, and not drag the guy off the plane. I was reading that some high school teacher pulled his students off the plane cause they were getting traumatized.

So what if it's legal to bump a passenger? That really has nothing to do with dragging a guy off and beating the hell out of him. And well compensated to give up seats? Cmon. They didn't come close to offering enough $$.

Your friend's premise sounds like, "It's legal to bump you at any time. The guy got what he deserved." No he didn't. It never has to escalate to busting a guy's face when he's 69 years old and has no gun.

Edited by greg775

Lol, you guys crack me up with these settlement figures. So out of touch with reality. 100+ million? That's insanity.

This will settle for less than 500k, and even then you're banking on United or the City not wanting to get into a PR battle 5 years from now (i.e., when the public has forgotten about this). No way it sniffs a million. There's just not enough damage there. If it eventually does go to trial and a jury awards tens of millions, that award will be reduced post-trial.

The damages are just not significant enough (unless they can establish some traumatic brain injury). And liability against United is questionable. It was their decision to remove him, but they will pass blame to the City for the manner in which he was removed.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero