4/10 Games

Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 08:53 AM)
Moncada won't have an average below .260 with that speed and power combination.

http://thebaseballcube.com/players/profile...P=Michael-Trout

Trout in the minors, 211/1117=19%

I doubt Moncada finishes higher than 25% in AAA. We'll see.

Tim Anderson's 193/673 at the major league level, that's closing in on 30%.

I don't get the Trout comparison, they are both great athletes, but will each impact the game differently, plays the different positions. FWIW Trout was a far more advanced hitter in the minors compared to Moncada at present.

Your numbers on Anderson is also incorrect. His minor league K% was 22.5%, but bumped up to 27.3% (124/453) with the Sox.

I am hoping Moncada limits K% to 25% in AAA, but that's going to take some work, primarily in learning to hit offspeed pitche. The K% is worth monitoring.

Edited by 2005thxfrthmmrs

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's two different dates (I always forget which is considered super two) but the earlier date in the year is where they get the extra year of control (see Kris Byrant) and the other date (around end of May/early June) is when then one of the years is another pre-arb season (see Gregory Polanco being so delayed when he was mashing).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 11:11 AM)
That would be for another full year of service, not for Super 2, correct?

I want to say that it is for the extra year of service.

Anyone else think the Sox will be aggressive in trying to sign him to an extension very early (let's say by next season) trying to buy-out a few years of free agency?

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 11:13 AM)

Anyone else think the Sox will be aggressive in trying to sign him to an extension very early (let's say by next season) trying to buy-out a few years of free agency?

For what I have read about him so far, I think he will fall into one of two camps. Either he has full and complete confidence in himself to hit free agency and get a $500 million contract, or he falls more into the Frank Thomas mold where he is awful with money, and would love an extension early because he needs the money. No idea which one he is.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 11:13 AM)

I have no doubt the Sox want to sign him to an extension like they did with Anderson but I don't know if Moncada would do that. He'd probably want to test free agency when he's 28 or 29.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 11:17 AM)
I have no doubt the Sox want to sign him to an extension like they did with Anderson but I don't know if Moncada would do that. He'd probably want to test free agency when he's 28 or 29.

Yeah probably. He'd basically have to break a record for most money signed pre-arb. He does also have that $30 mill signing bonus (that the Red Sox are still paying).

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 11:17 AM)

I'm not sure about this. 1. They waited until Anderson proved something in the MLB. 2. There was complete agreement that Anderson was the type of kid that wouldn't let the contract go to his head and just cruise after he signed the contract.

Neither of these has been proven for Moncada. If he meets the criteria fine but he hasn't met either yet.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 05:52 PM)
hate to keep comparing him to trout but like trout he strikes out a lot but also walks a lot. He's also fast as hell and that will lead to a high BABIP.

Trout didn't strike out at the clip Yoan did at the minor league level. In fact, outside of one season (a couple years into his career, he has pretty much hovered around the 20% metric). Trout is still Trout...but I'm also a bit more old school that I fully believe that the advanced metrics underrate the negative impacts of a strikeout). It's easy to say Trout strikes out a bit, but relative to his plate appearances, the clip is nowhere near the level Moncada has been at.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Apr 11, 2017 -> 08:22 AM)
I don't get the Trout comparison, they are both great athletes, but will each impact the game differently, plays the different positions. FWIW Trout was a far more advanced hitter in the minors compared to Moncada at present.

Your numbers on Anderson is also incorrect. His minor league K% was 22.5%, but bumped up to 27.3% (124/453) with the Sox.

I am hoping Moncada limits K% to 25% in AAA, but that's going to take some work, primarily in learning to hit offspeed pitche. The K% is worth monitoring.

Yeah, it was the extrapolated average over a full season (extrapolated from partial numbers from 2016), which projected him getting 673 AB's and having that K percentage near 29/30 statistically.

Anderson was actually 117/410 last year and 124/432 for his entire MLB career (first week of 2017, 7/22). Not sure where 453 came from.

28.5% and 28.7% if you include his entire career.

Edited by caulfield12